Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Frame From Trek

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Frame From Trek

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 07:05 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
New Frame From Trek

So just got the word, new frame from Trek. A Madone SLR rim brake 😳. I did not realize they still make rim brake frames, but apparently they do. I asked if I could get a disc instead, No was the answer. Fine. The new frame will take 90-110 days to reach the bike shop, so my plan is to strip all the junk I have on my Domane off and that will be my road bike for the summer.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-12-21, 07:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I thought the Madone was disc only.

Just looked and they do offer a rim brake frameset

Last edited by GlennR; 05-12-21 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-12-21, 09:41 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by GlennR
I thought the Madone was disc only.

Just looked and they do offer a rim brake frameset
It is disc only as a complete bike from Trek
Old 05-13-21, 02:04 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
It is disc only as a complete bike from Trek
I saw that... kind of weird.
Old 05-13-21, 07:22 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
It looks like the two frame only offerings on the website are the prior generation Madone with the 700 OLCV carbon, a 2019 rim brake version and 2020 disc brake version. Both are shown as out of stock, but based on what your dealer said, apparently they have found a rim brake version somewhere. That wouldn't explain the time delay though, so maybe Trek are still secretly making the old version, or a 2021 model of the rim brake they aren't advertising.

Pictures when it comes in.
Old 05-13-21, 07:57 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by tigat
It looks like the two frame only offerings on the website are the prior generation Madone with the 700 OLCV carbon, a 2019 rim brake version and 2020 disc brake version. Both are shown as out of stock, but based on what your dealer said, apparently they have found a rim brake version somewhere. That wouldn't explain the time delay though, so maybe Trek are still secretly making the old version, or a 2021 model of the rim brake they aren't advertising.

Pictures when it comes in.
They actually make a 2021 rim brake version. I have seen pictures. I was told that Trek holds back a certain amount of frames for warranty. Since it was a Project 1, it has to be painted. I wonder if that is part of the delay.
Old 05-13-21, 09:21 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
They actually make a 2021 rim brake version. I have seen pictures. I was told that Trek holds back a certain amount of frames for warranty. Since it was a Project 1, it has to be painted. I wonder if that is part of the delay.
Interesting and makes sense - I originally had a gen 1 Domane that was hit by a SUV. Trek had set it up one-handed for me with a di2 shifting system integrated into a SRAM hydraulic rim brake lever. When I needed to replace the frame, there was no rim brake Domane, the Emonda was rim brake, but the SLR version had gone to direct mount brakes that were incompatible with the center mount SRAM calipers.

Hence, I have an Emonda SL frame sporting components from the original build.

I can see how the owner of a 2019 rim brake version of the Madone who needs a crash or warranty replacement frame would not want to be looking at wheels and brakes that are now incompatible with the replacement frame.

On the P1, not sure how busy the paint shop is these days. Most of the log jam appears to be ever increasing component shortages.
Old 05-13-21, 12:04 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by tigat
Interesting and makes sense - I originally had a gen 1 Domane that was hit by a SUV. Trek had set it up one-handed for me with a di2 shifting system integrated into a SRAM hydraulic rim brake lever. When I needed to replace the frame, there was no rim brake Domane, the Emonda was rim brake, but the SLR version had gone to direct mount brakes that were incompatible with the center mount SRAM calipers.

Hence, I have an Emonda SL frame sporting components from the original build.

I can see how the owner of a 2019 rim brake version of the Madone who needs a crash or warranty replacement frame would not want to be looking at wheels and brakes that are now incompatible with the replacement frame.

On the P1, not sure how busy the paint shop is these days. Most of the log jam appears to be ever increasing component shortages.
My other bike is a disc brake Domane. I was hoping to get the Madone in disc and then sell all my rim brake stuff.