Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need a wheel-on trainer with Zwift compatibility and resistance adj.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-12-22, 02:38 PM
schwim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

Hello there, everyone!

I'm struggling to dig my way out of a poor physical condition and would like to ride more than I can right now. I've always hated just sitting on a stationary bike and staring into space for an hour or so and my brother is using something that I thought was pretty cool-Zwift. The issue I have is that I need to get into it as inexpensively as possible. I'd like a wheel on trainer due to it's simplicity and being able to just mount whatever bike is handy to use.

What I can't seem to figure out is if there's a wheel-on trainer that supports the ability to change resistance as you're riding. I'm reading Amazon reviews and specifications and it keeps mentioning that a model can "with a speed sensor" which is where I get stuck.

Can anyone tell me the least expensive method of getting into a Zwift-compatible trainer that can handle changing the resistance based on the Zwift ride?

Thanks for your time!
Old 04-12-22, 03:00 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 1,136 Posts
Easiest and cheapest is to find a wind trainer and use the different gears on the bike to increase or decrease resistance. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-12-22, 03:01 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Kurt Kinetics' Road Machine Control will do that; it's on sale for $349. It looks like they're closing them out in favor of their wheel-off trainer that starts at $349.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-12-22, 04:05 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Wahoo KICKR Snap. Not the cheapest, but it's well built, very reliable and accurate. Gives a great "road feel" with automatic resistance control. It's one of the best wheel-on smart trainers you can buy.

If that's in your price range then you will not be disappointed.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 04-12-22, 04:51 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by schwim
Hello there, everyone!

I'm struggling to dig my way out of a poor physical condition and would like to ride more than I can right now. I've always hated just sitting on a stationary bike and staring into space for an hour or so and my brother is using something that I thought was pretty cool-Zwift. The issue I have is that I need to get into it as inexpensively as possible. I'd like a wheel on trainer due to it's simplicity and being able to just mount whatever bike is handy to use.

What I can't seem to figure out is if there's a wheel-on trainer that supports the ability to change resistance as you're riding. I'm reading Amazon reviews and specifications and it keeps mentioning that a model can "with a speed sensor" which is where I get stuck.

Can anyone tell me the least expensive method of getting into a Zwift-compatible trainer that can handle changing the resistance based on the Zwift ride?

Thanks for your time!
There are a few very good wheel-on trainers that do have controllable resistance. I used a Kickr Snap for several years. I'm not sure it's the absolute cheapest, but it's less expensive than direct-drive options and is very solidly built.

I will say though - I know it seems now like a wheel-on trainer is easier - it's actually as easy and faster to install a bike on a direct-drive trainer than a wheel on.
Likes For Viich:
Old 04-12-22, 05:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Wahoo KICKR Snap. Not the cheapest, but it's well built, very reliable and accurate. Gives a great "road feel" with automatic resistance control. It's one of the best wheel-on smart trainers you can buy.

If that's in your price range then you will not be disappointed.
Totally agree. If you don't want to/can't afford to buy one new, you might find one on Craigs List or FB Marketplace for a lot less. I've had one for a year and some, and it's great! When I used to try to keep fit through the winter with a stationary trainer, I had a hell of a time riding more than about 40 minutes at a time and I ended up so dreading the sessions that after a few weeks I'd give up altogether. With Zwift, I'll do 3-4 sessions of an hour plus through the winter, plus a long ride on Sundays if weather allows, so I don't start in Spring with no fitness.

I have used a "dumb trainer" on Zwift, with 'Zpower', which is Zwift's way of calculating power output, using the resistance profile of a number of models they've tested, plus your cadence, and the input from a speed sensor on your rear wheel. Resistance doesn't change, so you have to change gears to make it harder or easier with terrain. And of course you're changing gears the opposite to how you do it on the road - going to a smaller cogs when you reach a hill, instead of larger, for example. And it's pretty optimistic, which is why they don't let riders using zPower to win races.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-12-22, 08:10 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Totally agree. If you don't want to/can't afford to buy one new, you might find one on Craigs List or FB Marketplace for a lot less. I've had one for a year and some, and it's great! When I used to try to keep fit through the winter with a stationary trainer, I had a hell of a time riding more than about 40 minutes at a time and I ended up so dreading the sessions that after a few weeks I'd give up altogether. With Zwift, I'll do 3-4 sessions of an hour plus through the winter, plus a long ride on Sundays if weather allows, so I don't start in Spring with no fitness.

I have used a "dumb trainer" on Zwift, with 'Zpower', which is Zwift's way of calculating power output, using the resistance profile of a number of models they've tested, plus your cadence, and the input from a speed sensor on your rear wheel. Resistance doesn't change, so you have to change gears to make it harder or easier with terrain. And of course you're changing gears the opposite to how you do it on the road - going to a smaller cogs when you reach a hill, instead of larger, for example. And it's pretty optimistic, which is why they don't let riders using zPower to win races.
This is good advice.

If your budget is really limited and you're unsure if you really want to get into it, you can often find a dumb wheel-on trainer on Craigslist or Ebay for under $50 (or better yet, perhaps you can borrow one from a friend for a couple of weeks), then get a Bluetooth speed sensor for your rear wheel for $20. Then sign up for Zwift's free 30-day trial. It's not as nice as something like the Wahoo Kickr Snap because you have to shift gears to change the resistance but it will give you an idea of whether you'd like it. You'll probably also want a big ass box fan.
Likes For RChung: