Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How To Work On Modern Bikes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 12:31 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts

Is there a book that could conceivably been titled something like that?

I am not afraid if diving into a bike (I just got a dishing tool and used it for the first time today; yea!) but everything I have is old, thus I am usually on the Classic & Vintage forum. I am unlikely to change my tastes (famous last words?)

But my friends who ride all ride modern stuff - most have "gone carbon". And they take their bikes to the LBS for the most mundane things (Handlebar tape? Really?); and I feel helpless to assist. Yesterday we were out and a friend's wife's bike was making the most horrendous noise, and I swear I saw unnatural movement in the left crank, of a type where the arm is secured by a perpendicular Allen key bolt... was it loose? And I could not help.

So, for someone with reasonable bike-service skills but many decades out of date, is there a recommendable book that might be a good reference guide? I'd like to know more about the modern cranks, index shifting (maybe even electronic), disc brakes (perhaps hydraulic?), threadless headsets. I"m not 100% sure about "through axles". It would be nice to say to a friend "bring over a six-pack of beer and let's puzzle this out".

I have not even begun to think about what specialized tools I might want to buy.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-15-23, 01:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
PARK tools website seems to be more up to date then I am.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-15-23, 01:22 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,919 Times in 1,773 Posts
If you're looking for a book as opposed to videos, there's also Park's Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair. It's pretty thorough.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-15-23, 01:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
YouTube is your friend for this stuff.
Old 02-15-23, 01:44 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Books = Old School.

YouTube or Park Tool website.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-15-23, 01:51 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Thanks for the Park book rec. I can't stand having to wade through videos to figure stuff out. Unless they're the Park videos, those have been very good and helpful, with minimized fluff.
Old 02-15-23, 01:54 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I can do anything really on a road bike. I don't make the frame or components but I can build one and build my own wheels. I still ride a rim brake bikes but I had to work on a few disk brakes bikes and youtube and park tool videos are you friend. If you have basic mechanic skills you can figure it out it is not rocket science. Sometimes things get frustrating depending on what is going on but patience and level thinking gets you a winner most of the time.

I repair guitars for a living and most expensive jazz guitars are my specialty. Working on bikes way easier not as much caution and care needed just basic wrenching and diligence. Compared to refretting a $12,000 vintage super 400 a bike is easy. Park Tool simply does a great job I really like Calvin Jones wonder if he still is working there.
Old 02-15-23, 02:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
I like this book it covers both classic and "modern" though for me the line blur a bit.. I like classic frames with modern components https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road...dp_ob_title_bk

and no books are not always old school

and of course park https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-15-23, 03:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you have a mechanical aptitude, then just take it apart and you'll figure it out. If you have questions a diligent google search usually answers those. But first stop by the manufacturers website and see if they have the various documents linked that you might need. Usually that's the manufacturer of the components, not the bike itself.

Park tools website and videos are good to great. Though sometimes the horsing around of Calvin and friends is annoying. YouTube videos you have to be careful with. Some of the better produced ones are utter garbage and false in what they tell you. So don't judge them as being gospel just because they were well spoken and well produced.
Old 02-15-23, 04:04 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Is there a book that could conceivably been titled something like that? ...

But my friends who ride all ride modern stuff - most have "gone carbon". And they take their bikes to the LBS for the most mundane things (Handlebar tape? Really?); and I feel helpless to assist. ...
Is wrapping cables and/or hoses under handlebar tape really a step too far!? If you can wrap a C&V handlebar, you should also be able to wrap a modern CF handlebar, right?
Old 02-15-23, 04:14 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I tend to learn the new stuff one part at a time with internet searches, it doesn't work for me to read a book and try to get it all at once. For instance I now know that the crankarm you saw is part of a two-piece crank: the driveside has a spindle attached which slides through; then the left arm is slid onto the splines, the crankbolt tightened down, then that Allen bolt you saw snugs the arm tight on the spindle. Which I had to figure out when I bought a bike with these cranks. I learned about discs on that same bike.
Old 02-15-23, 04:29 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I felt the same as Tiger 1964 when I bought my Kona MTB a few years back. It turns out that adjusting the gears is easier but those hydraulic brakes threw me for a loop until I watched the Park Tool video. Well wudya know, it's the same as bleeding car brakes and I have done that many times. I dove in and the very first time I bled them they were perfect. And, the funny part, I used a trick that an old car mechanic I worked with decades ago taught me...and it worked on the bike too!
Old 02-15-23, 05:02 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
drlogik, I'll be the first to bite. What's the trick?
I have bled every system out there and have done the big two hundreds of times and found that doing it per manufacturers instructions works. Always interested in short cuts that really work.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-15-23, 05:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
In your world, how new is new?

For the standard "new as of the last 15 years," the Park Blue Book is as good a starting point as any. For stuff like road hydro disk brakes, electronic shifting, concealed cabling, and all that proprietary esoteric stuff like 1x, clutches, 12-speed freehubs, proprietary freehubs, proprietary thru-axles, and suspensions, look to the manufacturers' websites, YouTube, and Park's videos. Sorry, it gets no better than that.
Old 02-15-23, 07:29 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
TiHabenero,

Here it goes but you'll need a helper. You man the bleed valve and your helper mans the brake lever.
  • Have helper slowly pump the brake lever 6 or 7 times. Slowly and squeeze it tight.
  • This is the trick: After that, get ready on the bleed valve and tell helper to start squeezing the brake lever s l o w l y and tell say "Now" when it almost bottoms-out to the handlebar.
  • As the helper is squeezing, bleed the fluid out and when the helper says "now" shut off the bleed valve.
  • It's important to shut the bleed valve before the brake lever bottoms out on the handlebar (i.e. when it's still in motion). Otherwise air "can" (and often does on cars at least) get sucked back into the line.
  • Ask the helper if the brake had a hard stop when you shut the bleed valve. If it didn't you still have air in the line.
  • Remember that you will most likely need to fill the reservoir at some point during this process.

Repeat until no bubbles come out. For me it took three repetitions.

----------------

Last edited by drlogik; 02-15-23 at 07:34 PM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 02-15-23, 09:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
ANYTHING I work on now days it's google and youtube. Everything from a model A Ford to a recent Vexilar flasher
Old 02-16-23, 06:25 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
PARK tools website seems to be more up to date then I am.
Sounds like a great idea for a back-up.

Originally Posted by smd4
If you're looking for a book as opposed to videos, there's also Park's Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair. It's pretty thorough.
Let's see if a Google Search, or Park's website, finds that for me.

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I repair guitars for a living and most expensive jazz guitars are my specialty. Working on bikes way easier not as much caution and care needed just basic wrenching and diligence. Compared to refretting a $12,000 vintage super 400 a bike is easy.
That spoke me. I was able to replace a string on my wife's Les Paul - and got away with it. I cannot imagine the outcome if I had damaged it...

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I like this book it covers both classic and "modern" though for me the line blur a bit.. I like classic frames with modern components https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road...dp_ob_title_bk
I'll check that out too!

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Is wrapping cables and/or hoses under handlebar tape really a step too far!? If you can wrap a C&V handlebar, you should also be able to wrap a modern CF handlebar, right?
Well, wait a minute. I mentioned they had been to the LBS for that one, but I wasn't along or I would had suggested I do it. the point is I don't mind picking up tools, some cyclists I know do not. Pretty sure I can wrap bars.

Old 02-16-23, 08:04 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think this is a good place to start.

Originally Posted by Eric F
YouTube is your friend for this stuff.
But be very careful about the source. I have seen some pretty hamfisted mechanics on YouTube.

Both Park and Art's Cyclery have some excellent videos.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-16-23, 08:29 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by Lombard
But be very careful about the source. I have seen some pretty hamfisted mechanics on YouTube..
Good point, one I forgot to mention. Apparently everyone that can record on a cell phone thinks he's a "YouTube Sensation" and an expert. On anything, not just bikes.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-16-23, 12:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
On YouTube, Park Tools videos are my go to; GCN and Art's Cyclery are generally pretty good too (at least for the things I had to figure out).
Old 02-16-23, 08:52 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Repeat until no bubbles come out.
I've done this a few times on my R100S with dual front discs. I manage to do it by myself.
Old 02-17-23, 12:09 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Being self sufficient for maintenance is part of the enjoyment of cycling for me. I'm quite mechanically inclined, so the inner workings of bikes actually seem pretty straightforward. I also do most home repairs, though not on cars. I don't have the tools, strength, or space for car repair, and my mechanic is so quick!

Coping with the evolution of bike technology has been with us for more than a century. There will always be a bike more modern than mine. Stuff that seemed complex and tricksy 30 years ago is routine today, like adjusting indexed shifting systems.

Possibly suggested by the OP is the issue of working on someone else's bike. That's partly a psychological game, and I try to be realistic about what I can do for people. I'm up front about the fact that I'm going to look at something and figure it out on the fly, or find guidance online. Often, people have settled in their minds that a cyclist shouldn't try to repair their own bike, and that's it. So I'm willing to make gentle suggestions, but I don't push it.
Old 02-17-23, 02:39 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Books = Old School.

YouTube or Park Tool website.
Nobody uses "Glenn's" any more?
Old 02-17-23, 05:51 AM
smd4