Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bafang BBS02b vs BBSHD vs Hub-Drive

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 05:47 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts

I've now built 3-ebikes from kits. A 750w rear Hub-Drive from Dillenger, a BBSHD mid-drive from JohnnyNerdOut and now, just last week a new build with a BBS02b, again from JohnnyNerdOut.

I put 1200 miles on the hub-drive, 1000 miles on the BBSHD mid-drive and now a whopping 20-miles on a brand new BBS02b mid-drive. But I'm getting some clear impressions of the various differences.

The Hub and HD build were on a 2018 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc 29" bike and the new build is on a 2022 Specialized Rockhopper 29 Expert. The Crosstrail was lost from a car rack on the highway and believe it or not, never found. This is what necessitated the new build.

I really enjoyed the Hub-drive bike but I kept reading about mid-drives and how using the rear derailleur was a bigger part of the equation. I realized that I was riding my hub-drive more like a moped and less like a bicycle, never shifting just phantom pedaling along. So, I removed the hub-drive wheel and rebuilt the bike as a mid-drive. I went with the BBSHD because I was unsure of the BBS02's performance. The BBSHD was very fast, speeds between 30 mph and 35 mph were easy and one tail-wind aided 42 mph was actually a bit scary.

I took the loss of my BBSHD bike hard. I felt I had built the perfect bike for me. But within a week of the loss I purchased a new Rockhopper 29 Expert. Outfitted it the same as the missing bike and then ordered a new motor kit. Only this time I felt that BBSHD was more than I needed, so, mostly to save $250+ I went with the BBS02b.

So, what's the difference between the BBSHD and the BBS02b? Not a lot. In many ways the BBSO2b is just as torqey on start up. The 02, at least this 02, is noisier by about 1/2 than the HD. I think the HD was smoother overall, too with less vibration along with that quieter motor. The 02 is lighter and this is felt in the way the bike handles. I'm still seeing speeds up to 30 mph but that's more me learning what the new motor will do.

It will probably take another 800 miles before I fully understand the differences but if you're torn between the the BBSHD and BBS02b I'd say it's pretty much a toss up. Don't worry about the BBS02b having enough power. If you're torn between Hub-drive and MId-drive... I'd say go mid-drive and ride your bike like a bike with a cassette full of gears at your disposal.
Likes For creativepart:
Old 02-21-23, 08:02 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I converted my Giant Escape using the 02 last year. I use it just for commuting 17 miles of a hilly route to the bike shop where I work. I put 1200miles on it last year and it has performed great. I disassembled it this winter and regreased all the gears.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 02-21-23, 09:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
My first BBS02 was used for seven years of pretty severe off road activity with no maintenance or failures, then my son wanted it for riding his local bike paths and uses it almost daily. I built a second one with a motor purchased about three years ago as a replacement for the one that never needed it. The BBSHD wasn't available when I built the first system, and since it went 30 mph, it didn't seem necessary to purchase the bigger motor.
Likes For 2old:
Old 02-21-23, 11:28 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
My first BBS02 was used for seven years of pretty severe off road activity with no maintenance or failures, then my son wanted it for riding his local bike paths and uses it almost daily. I built a second one with a motor purchased about three years ago as a replacement for the one that never needed it. The BBSHD wasn't available when I built the first system, and since it went 30 mph, it didn't seem necessary to purchase the bigger motor.
What kind of "severe off road activity" that allows you to ride at 30 mph? open deserts 30 mph?

I've been converting downhill MTB into high speed ebikes since 2013 with hub motors initially, then BBS02, BBSHD, then back to hub motors.

Nowadays, with the availability of hub motor ebikes being so popular (& low cost);
for majority of riders spending the extra money & time to convert regular bicycles into ebikes just seem more trouble than they are worth.

Riders can really benefit from spending the time learning how to shift, using the PAS and/or throttle on a complete ebike than figuring out where to mount the battery/controller on their converted ebike.

The advantages of lower cost, simpler operation and just not limited to hub-drive; are the reasons that I prefer hub motor ebikes.
Unless you're riding with a group of hardcore MTB riders on black diamond trails, mid-drive motor weight distribution advantage could come to some difference in performance. But you will still be limited to the weakest link in your chain; once that chain is broken, you've got no other option than to fix it or walk it.
At least with a hub motor you can still throttle back to your home or car.
Maybe it's just the lazy mechanic in me; I rather ride more than wrench more; less time working on the bikes gives me more time to ride.

Last edited by cat0020; 02-22-23 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 02-21-23, 12:42 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Other than the added hassle changing rear flats I don't experience any downside to my rear hub. But it's a big enough pain for me to consider a mid-drive. i got 2 flats in my marathon plus tire; I've added flat out so will see how that works. i also bought one of those inner tubes that is separated so at least I can just cut the damaged tube and stuff this one in and put off the fix until I get home. But other than that, the hub motor just keeps on truckin and I use my gears - they change the effort required if you have your software set up so you aren't maxing out assist in the lower levels. I only hit ghost pedaling at level 4+ and that's just because my small cog is an 11. Programming the assist makes a big difference in that regard.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-21-23, 01:16 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Most modern hub motor ebikes have connector near the hub motor nowadays, just flip the ebike upside down or onto its side, loosen the rear wheel and slide replacement tire/tube to fix the flat; no need to take the whole rear wheel of the ebike.

Personally, I don't mess with sealant on the tire/tubes, I line the inside of the tire with paper currency, dollar bills, they are lightweight, much tougher than most people think and great at preventing glass shard punctures.
Old 02-21-23, 04:26 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Most modern hub motor ebikes have connector near the hub motor nowadays, just flip the ebike upside down or onto its side, loosen the rear wheel and slide replacement tire/tube to fix the flat; no need to take the whole rear wheel of the ebike.

Personally, I don't mess with sealant on the tire/tubes, I line the inside of the tire with paper currency, dollar bills, they are lightweight, much tougher than most people think and great at preventing glass shard punctures.
oh, dang, I never thought of sliding the tube instead of dropping the wheel, lol. Brilliant. I mostly just pull out spots and patch them if i can see it which is fast and easy. But for some reason if my Marathon plus goes flat, it's a big hole that isn't ideal
for patching. Getting the rear wheel off is really difficult - the tolerance is so close I can barely muscle it on again.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-28-23, 08:15 AM
Sphr4u2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bbshd build

In the process of building a BBSHD with a 52v 19.2 ah battery, just waiting on the last of the parts to arrive. Opted to go with BBSD so as not to have regrets that I wished I’d gone bigger later on. Add one included shift sensor and DPC 18 display. Let you know how it goes asap.
Old 02-28-23, 09:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
IMO, you can't go wrong either way considering how well my BBS02(s) have functioned and the good reports I've read about the BBSHD.
Old 02-28-23, 02:30 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by creativepart
I've now built 3-ebikes from kits. A 750w rear Hub-Drive from Dillenger, a BBSHD mid-drive from JohnnyNerdOut and now, just last week a new build with a BBS02b, again from JohnnyNerdOut.

I put 1200 miles on the hub-drive, 1000 miles on the BBSHD mid-drive and now a whopping 20-miles on a brand new BBS02b mid-drive. But I'm getting some clear impressions of the various differences.

The Hub and HD build were on a 2018 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc 29" bike and the new build is on a 2022 Specialized Rockhopper 29 Expert. The Crosstrail was lost from a car rack on the highway and believe it or not, never found. This is what necessitated the new build.

I really enjoyed the Hub-drive bike but I kept reading about mid-drives and how using the rear derailleur was a bigger part of the equation. I realized that I was riding my hub-drive more like a moped and less like a bicycle, never shifting just phantom pedaling along. So, I removed the hub-drive wheel and rebuilt the bike as a mid-drive. I went with the BBSHD because I was unsure of the BBS02's performance. The BBSHD was very fast, speeds between 30 mph and 35 mph were easy and one tail-wind aided 42 mph was actually a bit scary.

I took the loss of my BBSHD bike hard. I felt I had built the perfect bike for me. But within a week of the loss I purchased a new Rockhopper 29 Expert. Outfitted it the same as the missing bike and then ordered a new motor kit. Only this time I felt that BBSHD was more than I needed, so, mostly to save $250+ I went with the BBS02b.

So, what's the difference between the BBSHD and the BBS02b? Not a lot. In many ways the BBSO2b is just as torqey on start up. The 02, at least this 02, is noisier by about 1/2 than the HD. I think the HD was smoother overall, too with less vibration along with that quieter motor. The 02 is lighter and this is felt in the way the bike handles. I'm still seeing speeds up to 30 mph but that's more me learning what the new motor will do.

It will probably take another 800 miles before I fully understand the differences but if you're torn between the the BBSHD and BBS02b I'd say it's pretty much a toss up. Don't worry about the BBS02b having enough power. If you're torn between Hub-drive and MId-drive... I'd say go mid-drive and ride your bike like a bike with a cassette full of gears at your disposal.

I had a similar experience. Had a rear hub drive bike and didn't like it much. Didn't feel very bike like. Went to BBSHD and am very satisfied. With a wide rear cassette and 9 power settings I'm ready for just about anything!
Old 03-02-23, 11:22 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
A 500watt geared hub drive was my first ebike conversion. Motor/electronics was $230 from ebikeling then, and later dropped to $170 . Meanwhile 1000W gearless hubdrives were available for $160.. Good old days. My next conversion was a BBS02 and I paid $550 for the kit.

I'm not up on hub kits, but ebikeling now wants $389 for a geared motor. I bought a second BBS02 in January and only paid $410 shipped from PSWpower, I got the BB wrench for free along with crank puller tool. I remember having to pay $25 to Luna for the darn wrench, I can have this kit installed in a day, while I'm stuck figuring out whereto put the controller box on a hub drive, while fiddling with the PAS sensor. If I want the mild mannered TSDZ2. I got one for $260 last Fall.

STill have not installed either mid motor kit. I git the donor bikes,m but the concrete floor is down to 45F. My feet get too cold in the garage, Later next month when air temps reach 60F, I;ll roll out some old carpet and stand on it,