Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Shop Gossip

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Shop Gossip

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 09:13 PM
abstractform20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Shop Gossip

this is for gossip and things heard at bike shops. this is not designed to create debate,and argue beliefs...but the 41 inevitably will.

Today's gossip: man in his 30s talking to his father (late 50s), during test rides

son: the 105s/shimano are better than sram shifters. the shimano shifters have more adjustability because they have 2 levers; the sram shifters only have 1. they [sram] have less adjustability

father: *nodding* oh, i see what you mean
Old 01-25-13, 09:18 PM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ohhhhh, this ought to be interesting!
reminds me of wild stuff i hear at gun shows, some of it quite dangerous like erroneous reloading info.
Old 01-25-13, 09:22 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Heard in a bike shop just today...."in two years all road bikes will come with disc brakes"

Last edited by seymour1910; 01-25-13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 09:22 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if i had an arrow for every time I saw someone knock on a bike to "test" if its carbon, i would still lack enough arrows to thin the herd...especially with the high error rate
Old 01-25-13, 09:23 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Hear in a bike shop just today...."in two years all road bikes will come with disc brakes"
said a 41 member in real life. i can SEE it
Old 01-25-13, 09:25 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
was once changing some kid's front flat. realized his costco bike's fork was installed backwards.

it blew his mind. he had ridden it for over 1 year. that and other problems inspired him to begin a bike hunt.
Old 01-25-13, 10:14 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
was once changing some kid's front flat. realized his costco bike's fork was installed backwards.

it blew his mind. he had ridden it for over 1 year. that and other problems inspired him to begin a bike hunt.
HAHA thats hilarious! I worked at costco for 4 years on the floor and they always had our "utility team" (people on the floor that drove forklifts to get stuff down) build bikes that came in. We didn't know WTF we were doing!
Old 01-25-13, 11:36 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
this is for gossip and things heard at bike shops. this is not designed to create debate,and argue beliefs...but the 41 inevitably will.
And this is for secondhand bike shop gossip heard on the internet... not desiged to argue beliefs...but the deuchebags who throw around "the 41" inevitably will.
If I had a carbon strand for every abstract persona who posted such drivel, I would have a diamond frame made of diamond.
Instead of putting down "The 41" within itself, maybe get down off your highorse and offer something constructive, or at least something less self-serving.
Old 01-26-13, 12:04 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
If I had a carbon strand for every abstract persona who posted such drivel, I would have a diamond frame made of diamond.
Sounds like a harsh and heavy ride...
Old 01-26-13, 12:07 AM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bianchi10
HAHA thats hilarious! I worked at costco for 4 years on the floor and they always had our "utility team" (people on the floor that drove forklifts to get stuff down) build bikes that came in. We didn't know WTF we were doing!
Did they come with instructions? If so, no excuse for screwing it up
Old 01-26-13, 12:19 AM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guys at the LBS were ooh-ing and aaah-ing over my then new Campy equipped bike (they're all Shimano here). LBS expert says something like "and you can shift through all the gears in one push with Campy". I says something like "No, only 5 up and 3 down." He says something like "Oh, that's because you have Chorus. Record and Super Record can shift through all the gears".

Yeah okay buddy.
Old 01-26-13, 12:24 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great video, even better song!!!!

​yes totally agreed! Teh drums!
Old 01-26-13, 01:08 AM
Spiduhman

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
"Sharks are mammals, because they lay eggs."
Old 01-26-13, 04:58 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod
The guys at the LBS were ooh-ing and aaah-ing over my then new Campy equipped bike (they're all Shimano here). LBS expert says something like "and you can shift through all the gears in one push with Campy". I says something like "No, only 5 up and 3 down." He says something like "Oh, that's because you have Chorus. Record and Super Record can shift through all the gears".

Yeah okay buddy.
EPS can do this i believe?
Old 01-26-13, 05:09 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've been getting a lot of "Why are you looking for a stiff saddle, the softer ones are better" and they just so happen to really only carry softer saddles......Then why are the famed and expensive Brooks they have on display hard leather?
Old 01-26-13, 05:33 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Today's gossip: man in his 30s talking to his father (late 50s), during test rides

son: the 105s/shimano are better than sram shifters. the shimano shifters have more adjustability because they have 2 levers; the sram shifters only have 1. they [sram] have less adjustability

Well at least he is....
1) Interested in bikes.
2) Has a relationship with his father that at least involves communication.
3) Wants to impress his father.
4) Is perhaps taking his father shopping for a bike to start riding.

Someday he may get it right, especially if gently and supportingly corrected.
Old 01-26-13, 07:57 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod

Yeah okay buddy.
One of the nice things about Campy is that this used to be true. You could dump the entire cassette with 1 long throw of the thumb lever. Then they started changing it all. At this point you almost have to know the exact year and model to know what it will up shift or downshift per throw. So....uh...you're both right.

Old 01-26-13, 09:11 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by benajah
Did they come with instructions? If so, no excuse for screwing it up
They leave it in the hands of people who generally have a bad attitude, dont like their job and are 18-24 years old. You think we really cared? At the time, no I/we didnt. I'm much older and mature now, so I would have a different work ethic/outlook on my job even if I did still work at costco (Thank God I dont). You think the people in the back room of sports authority, walmart, walgreens, fred meyer, kroeger, big 5...etc really focus when they are putting those bikes together? Maybe some do, but i can assure you that most dont. I have worked at 2 different sporting goods store and I can tell you from experience that just because someone works in a specific dept, that doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. People cover breaks, lunches or sick days all the time. I was hired into the athletics dept when I was 17 and was responsible for answering the questions of sports equipt I have never even heard of. I tried to learn what I could here and there but for the most part it was all a matter of BS'ing the customer. Shoot, most of the time the customer had already done research before coming in and they knew more about the products than I did. Remember that the next time you go into some generic sports store and ask questions. If you want a bike put together properly, dont go to costco. Go to a bike store or do it yourself. Even then mistakes happen.
Old 01-26-13, 09:22 AM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerundium
EPS can do this i believe?
Yes EPS sure can but we were talking about mechanical Campy.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
One of the nice things about Campy is that this used to be true. You could dump the entire cassette with 1 long throw of the thumb lever. Then they started changing it all. At this point you almost have to know the exact year and model to know what it will up shift or downshift per throw. So....uh...you're both right.
Did now know that. Good thing I didn't correct him haha. Thanks for the info, I should look in to Campy history [/geek]
Old 01-26-13, 01:23 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
One of the nice things about Campy is that this used to be true. You could dump the entire cassette with 1 long throw of the thumb lever.
What would be the point of this? If you want to do this, seems like you should be switching rings instead and then just fine tuning the rear.
Old 01-26-13, 01:43 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
My 2006-ish Campy can go from 1st to 10th in 1 push. Never had the need to though. 5 is plenty.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-27-13, 06:48 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Expert buddies are my favorite. The amount of misinformation they spew is legion. The hardset thing to do is to correct all the crapola without insulting anyone.
Old 01-27-13, 06:52 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
And this is for secondhand bike shop gossip heard on the internet... not desiged to argue beliefs...but the deuchebags who throw around "the 41" inevitably will.
Instead of putting down "The 41" within itself, maybe get down off your highorse and offer something constructive, or at least something less self-serving.
It's been tried. Some of us have learned our lesson.
Old 01-27-13, 06:53 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
if i had an arrow for every time I saw someone knock on a bike to "test" if its carbon, i would still lack enough arrows to thin the herd...especially with the high error rate
We refer to those folks as "woodpeckers" because that's what it sounds like.

It's the chuckleheads that shift the bikes while they are sitting in the racks that we would like to throttle. "Hi, Sir...that's a three thousand dollar groupset there you are shifting like it is a machine gun..."

"I can't believe anyone would spend five grand for a bike." To which I like to say, "I can't believe anyone would spend fifty, sixty and up grand for a car..."

Last edited by roadwarrior; 01-27-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 07:28 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
If I told you the top secret gossip I recently heard about a certain new groupset being released in April I would be without a job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.