Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stop Swap And Save Westminister MD 2/20/17

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-11-17, 07:06 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Want to get in early? Want to avoid lines, and get to the other vendors stuff first?

I picked up a single table and will have maybe one item for sale. I'm looking for 4 additional people to share $50 cost --- naturally there will be minimal room for sale items and only one chair.

I intend to use the table to store my purchases while I look for deals. Please contact me to sign up.
Old 01-12-17, 07:24 AM
mike.b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I'm new to biking just started last year. Can you tell me more about this event? Also, according to the event website it is on 2/12/2017.

Thanks!
mike
Old 01-13-17, 10:32 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've never been to this event yet, and I'm not sure what value it offers? I pretty much have everything I need..?
Old 01-15-17, 08:18 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike.b
Hi

I'm new to biking just started last year. Can you tell me more about this event? Also, according to the event website it is on 2/12/2017.

Thanks!
mike
Originally Posted by DGlenday
I've never been to this event yet, and I'm not sure what value it offers? I pretty much have everything I need..?
1st -- The first post card I got was incorrect, they sent a second with the correct date.

The Swap is where dozens of vendors (and individuals) bring bikes, bike parts, clothes, and everything bike related for sale. It is a true market where you can haggle for a good price. I sold for a couple years some surplus from my bike flipping and found it is a buyers' market. I sold things for 1/4 what I'd get on Craigslist.
Since then I go as a buyer, acquiring many parts for my own bikes, bikes to refurbish, and parts for my flip bikes. I've made plenty of money reselling on Craigslist and Ebay.

I will still bring a few items for sale, and have a table, but the real value for me is getting in early and having a base to store my purchases.

For example, I got a nice older set of Dura Ace wheels on a Cannondale (with a bent frame) for $80. I got CF drop bars, stem, and DA 10 speed brifters for $160 (originally close to $1k) that are now on my Kestrel.

There are a number of bike forum members (and other sites) that attend the show, so it's a good chance to meet up in person.
Old 01-15-17, 08:20 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Without looking at a map I'm pretty sure you are just a short drive from Westminster. I highly recommend spending the low cost entry fee to come take a look.
Old 01-15-17, 09:19 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robtown
1st -- The first post card I got was incorrect, they sent a second with the correct date.

The Swap is where dozens of vendors (and individuals) bring bikes, bike parts, clothes, and everything bike related for sale. It is a true market where you can haggle for a good price. I sold for a couple years some surplus from my bike flipping and found it is a buyers' market. I sold things for 1/4 what I'd get on Craigslist.
Since then I go as a buyer, acquiring many parts for my own bikes, bikes to refurbish, and parts for my flip bikes. I've made plenty of money reselling on Craigslist and Ebay.

I will still bring a few items for sale, and have a table, but the real value for me is getting in early and having a base to store my purchases.

For example, I got a nice older set of Dura Ace wheels on a Cannondale (with a bent frame) for $80. I got CF drop bars, stem, and DA 10 speed brifters for $160 (originally close to $1k) that are now on my Kestrel.

There are a number of bike forum members (and other sites) that attend the show, so it's a good chance to meet up in person.
Originally Posted by robtown
Without looking at a map I'm pretty sure you are just a short drive from Westminster. I highly recommend spending the low cost entry fee to come take a look.
Sounds like something I should check out. Many thanks for the info. (It's very close to me.)

I don't actually need anything right now, though there are a few "nice-to-have" items that might be helpful. (E.g. do you think I'd be able to find a PowerTap?)
Old 01-16-17, 12:20 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like something I should check out. Many thanks for the info. (It's very close to me.)

I don't actually need anything right now, though there are a few "nice-to-have" items that might be helpful. (E.g. do you think I'd be able to find a PowerTap?)
There could be a PowerTap or two available. There are an incredible array of items for sale, from vintage to modern. Of course the discounts are steeper for stuff a few years old.

I actually have a number of parts I have not used from 2016. I like to stock up on parts needed to restore/repair bikes I flip - such as saddles and bar tape.