Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Raising handlebar height safely on a Specialized Diverge

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-12-21, 03:29 PM
DC_Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All:

I have a 2021 Specialized Diverge Elite E5 bike (this is a basic model without future shock spring suspension in the stem). I'd like to safely raise the stem a height 1 to 1.5 inches to achieve what should be the perfect fit for long rides. Can this be accomplished simply by purchasing this length of spacers and inserting them under the stem?

That seems pretty simple (it's no problem for me to take the stem out and reinsert it at the correct torque) but my concern is that there is some unknown risk that I am not aware of, e.g., the stem may not be long enough to still connect well to the steerer among other things, as I am a novice at bike-specific work. Any advice on the most straightforward and cost-effective way to safely raise the stem 1 to 1.5 inches would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-21, 04:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you don't have spacers on top of the stem, then you'll have to buy more stuff that to me is less than desirable and a little hokey.

Personally, if this is a new bike, you bought the wrong bike. Can you return it? Though that is a nice bike if you can ride it for the fit position intended.

You need to get a bike that has the stack height that will give you the bar height you wish without having to use extenders and weirdly angled stems.

This actually is probably more a question for the Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum if this is all about how to fit parts to the bike.

This is more for fitting you to the bike.
Old 05-13-21, 08:30 AM
DC_Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I'll post this in the more appropriate sub-forum. I think the bike is the correct fit (no back or shoulder pain whatsoever, even on long rides, and legs are at the right position). I'm am having some neck pain which I think is about acclimation. My plan is to start the stem high and gradually lower it if/as the neck pain reduces.
Old 05-13-21, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
My neck pain is helmets that restrict my forward vision because they come too low on my brow or have a visor.

I made a mistake with my last helmet purchase and it comes a little too low on my brow. So when I spend a lot of time in the drops, I get that strain from having to crane my neck in order to see far enough ahead.

I'm about to go helmet shopping again and will make sure I get in my riding position in the drops to see how much I have to lift my head to see in front of me with each helmet.

A previous helmet I had years ago had a removable visor on it. Removing the visor solved all my neck pain. Too bad I smashed that helmet and put 11 major cracks in it. Also put 3 minor cracks in my skull. <grin>
Old 05-18-21, 03:42 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my Specialized Roubaix. I could be wrong, but I don't think raising the handlebars 1 inch is going to solve your problem. You need to get your saddle in the right position. Put your back tire against a wall and measure to your bottom bracket. Then measure to the edge of the front of your seat to the back wall. The difference would be your setback measurement. My bike has the CGR Seatpost which has a 25mm setback. I think I need a seatpost without a setback. When I did measure my setback, I was way too far back from my normal setback.(110mm)

If you really need to raise your stem, you can experiment by flipping your stem. You can put on the high stem cap and two spacers. You can also put on hover handlebars that will give you even more height.