Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

bib shorts - are they $186 better?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

bib shorts - are they $186 better?

Old 05-29-21, 06:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The BlackBibs certainly gets a lot of playtime these days on BF. Are they really any different than yesteryears' darlings such as Przewalski, Baleaf, Sponeed etc?
They are 10x better than baleaf for sure.
Baleaf shorts are loose compression, fat padded, and cheap feeling with one of those silicone leg bands.

...I'm comparing to the plus and ultimate black bibs.
Old 05-30-21, 02:25 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Well said Hiro11 I have a couple pairs of Ornot house bibs. They are my go-to bib shorts. Fit me well and I can I ride day in day out after wearhing them.
Old 05-30-21, 09:45 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I took my The Black Bibs shorts for a 3hr mountain bike today and its fair to say I won't be buying anything else from them. They weren't terrible but I could definitely feel the lack of forward padding, and overall length of the shorts (waist to leg opening) is just downright weird: The waist comes up to mid torso on me and I'm not short, and these aren't even the "tall" varient.

I'll use them for a while, until I can be bothered to start the search again.
Old 05-31-21, 09:13 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I bought 3 pairs of pro corsa shorts a few month ago. They've been great so far. They run small. With a 30-31 waist, I bought the mediums and they are snug in the thigh, but I don't have chicken legs either.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...=daily_special
Old 06-01-21, 09:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Voler Black Label bibs are $160 and really nice too. They have a wide passive leg band(isntead of the cheap silicone strip), are very compression oriented, the pad extends forward more than Black Bibs, and the straps are set wide on the chest.
Maybe a mid-priced bib like this is whats best?
Old 06-01-21, 10:06 AM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
If you are looking in the $100+ category, I'd suggest the RedWhite bibs. I bought a pair of the 'Stealth' bibs from them after watching a YouTube video and so far they are excellent.
Lots of padding which is what I need after years 'off the bike'. I put 'em on and don't notice them, which is what I want.
I have Garneau and Hincapie bibs, also some 'Falconi' bibs from love2pedal,

Youtube video 'ranking all my cycling bibs' by Charles Ouimet:
Old 06-01-21, 12:30 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Another +1 for Black Bibs. Assos too, but they're a little short in the inseam for me these days. I have a bday gift from Band of Climbers coming. Will report back.
(finally) got a chance to get out in the BoC kit. While not a long ride (1:45), it was long enough to get an idea of what these are going to be like. Pretty nice. The pad disappears (good thing), and not a hint of anything during the ride. The inseam is on the now-fashionable longer side, and they wrap my legs all the way down, including the gripper -- other longer bibs with the wide leg gripper band (I'm looking at you, Capo and Primal) can gap and flap with my particular legs. These don't. With the discount code from strava, they're well worth it. Without the discount code, I'd say they're probably worth it. I'd like to see how these compare to Le Col, Ornot, and RedWhite, though .... https://www.bandofclimbers.com/
Old 06-02-21, 08:12 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
I bought a Przewalski bib for $25, and I thought it was easily worth $35.
Old 06-07-21, 08:52 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Any love for Giordana FRC-Pro bibs?
My Rapha’s cost a fortune and were a miscalculation on my part; the “ relaxed “ fit Lycra was not compressive enough.
Yes - the Giordana FR-C bibs are excellent. I bought them on sale last year, and now I can't find them discounted anywhere. However, my Rapha pro team bibs are almost as good and retail for about $75 less. Which Raphas did you get that you don't like and that cost more than the Giordanas?

I haven't tried the Black Bibs, but thus far, my experiences with lower priced shorts have been painful. Maybe I'll give them a shot. I see no reason to get stingy when it comes to my back side though.
Old 06-07-21, 09:20 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I see no reason to get stingy when it comes to my back side though.

Fortunately I don't think I'll need to go to the level of Rapha/Assos/LeCol, yet.
Perhaps if I get fitter and ride longer than 4-5 hrs that will change.
Old 06-17-21, 07:33 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Assos has ass in the name. Just sayin...
Old 06-17-21, 07:36 PM
teejaywhy

Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
* most comfortable on ~ 1 hour daily ride.
1 hour?
Old 07-12-21, 03:28 PM
Hwnryd31

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just wanted to give thumbs up for the Decathlon Van Rysel RCR bib shorts. I just got them a week ago and was able to ride 3 times, up to 3 hour rides and they are great
fitting and a great value. Obviously everyone's different so who knows about the fit. I went thru the couple cheap ones sold on Amazon from Przewalski, Santic Sponeed
and somewhat more expensive Cerotipolar. They were decent for shorter length rides. However, after some use they apparently
stretched some and started rubbing on my jewels, Przewalski ones fit best from the start while others developed bunching/rubbing fairly quick.
I did not want to spend a lot of money as I'm still fairly new to road cycling, I saw good reviews on Rivelo Honister and got those. Now becase they come from UK
it was a bit risky but they turned out quite good at around $70 with shipping. I still like them although they felt a bit tight in my size. I then wanted another pair to rotate with,
tried Voler's Jet Escape and while material seemed good quality, the fitting just didn't work for me with bunching too much in my size. I was advised to try the level up in Caliber bibs.
These fitted a bit better, and material seemed even nicer than Jet's. However, after few rides they started rubbing as well. I was disappointed because Voler materials and pad were
of good quality. I possibly would have been good with them if I tried one more time to size down. Since Voler allowd me to return the bibs after riding in them they truly deserve some
recognition here and I think I will give them a shot again at some point in the future. Then I saw that Decathlon was shipping from US and their returns also
were local in US. I bought few things for my hiking trip from them last few weeks and quality was good so decided to try their bibs.
They are a perfect fit for me. I'm 5' 10" at 195lb, athetic build but with age came a little bit of belly, pants size 34. The best part is the Elastic Interface pad which is fairly dense
but not too bulky, great comfort for my sitting bones. The bib material is very good but some reviews complained about durability. They fit tight in hips, but I think I need that as to not allow any bunching up.
You just don't feel them while you're riding. Material is meant more for warmer temps as it's pretty thin, still enough compression but just "disappears" when riding.
I will keep Rivelo in rotation but will order another pair of Van Rysel to have a backup.

Sorry about long post, just figured more background would be appropriate. I have not tried those expensive bibs people rave about,
I'm sure they must be great for them. At the prices I was willing to pay, I found perfect ones I'm hapy with.
Old 07-12-21, 03:34 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Crew shorts. Two pair for 10 bucks. Amazon. Great for short rides.

Long rides? Put me boyz in the KuKu Penthouse, please.
Old 07-13-21, 07:13 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Do not buy the Black Bibs Ultimate in tall. I'm 6'4" and I can't get them on without the help of my wife pushing on the back. They come up to my chest and are so uncomfortable and tight. My wife washed them or I would take them back. Worse bibs ever.
Old 07-14-21, 12:55 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Only one way to tell you if a pair of bibs is better, and only one way to quantify how much. However, both of those methods involve your taint, and you are the only one who has access to it for these testing methods.

Old 07-14-21, 03:09 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Sojodave
Do not buy the Black Bibs Ultimate in tall. I'm 6'4" and I can't get them on without the help of my wife pushing on the back. They come up to my chest and are so uncomfortable and tight. My wife washed them or I would take them back. Worse bibs ever.
I had a similar experience with their Plus Shorts: last thing I buy from them.
Old 07-14-21, 09:00 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
These as the "worst bibs ever" because the size you bought doesn't fit?

For what it's worth, mediums fit me (5'10", 165lbs) well.

Also bought one of their Starlight design jerseys, it's a similarly good deal and I like the design.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 07-14-21, 09:30 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Also bought one of their Starlight design jerseys, it's a similarly good deal and I like the design.
I have 6 pairs of bibs in large and I thought I was safe ordering a large tall.
Old 07-14-21, 10:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Being 6’2” that is HWP I find that bibs jam the chamois right up where the sun never shines and becomes very uncomfortable on long rides as I am constantly having to tug them down so I don’t cut off the blood supply to the nether regions. I would need custom bibs with extra length in the suspenders to work. Besides they are much hotter than standard shorts which might be great in cool temps but not so much when it is sweltering. As a result, not a fan.

Edit: Never had a problem with standard shorts shifting.

Last edited by rsbob; 07-14-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 04:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Probably 50% of negative reviews for any kind of apparel is because the buyer chose the wrong size.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-15-21, 06:33 PM
Doomrider74

Probably 50% of negative reviews for any kind of apparel is because the buyer chose the wrong size.
Certainly not the case with me.
Old 07-15-21, 06:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Certainly not the case with me.
Congrats. You belong to the other half.
Old 07-15-21, 07:50 PM
Doomrider74

Congrats. You belong to the other half.
My point was just because some people cry wolf you can't write off everyone's experience in the same way.

This is certainly not the first time I've heard complaints about the weird sizing of stuff from the Black Bibs which, along with my own experience, leads me to believe their stuff is either weirdly designed or their QC is practically non-existent; either way, I won't be touching them again.
Old 07-16-21, 08:45 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
I've never bought super expensive bibs since I only do 40 mile rides 2-3 times a week. I've so far tried the Elite from Performancebikes, the new version I don't like, they fit weird and the thigh area rides up... fail. I got a pair of Rapha and I just got a pair of the The Black Bibs Ultimate. I'm loving the Black Bib ones and they are the cheapest so far at $80. I dunno, if you don't need the best and just need something comfortable for shorter rides. I prefer these Black Bibs Ultimate over the Rapha, including the chamoise. The Rapha I think tendency to make look like I got camel toe, it's disturbing.

Honestly thinking of buying a 2nd pair of the Ultimate so I don't have to wear the Rapha. I bought medium from all three brands, they all sized the same to me /shrug

Last edited by zymphad; 07-16-21 at 07:04 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.