Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Thread for later Spring - Amstel up to Giro:

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Thread for later Spring - Amstel up to Giro:

Old 04-14-22, 09:23 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
At least he rides for Ineos and with that name he sounds Brit-ish. +/- a little Scandinavian tossed in.

A guy who got steered to our little forum hell hole here was looking in another thread for American contenders. My assessment was if we told him to keep an eye on Sepp Kuss he would have thought I was messing with him. "That's not an American name!"
"Matteo Jorgenson" is a supremely American name- the melting pot where hispanic meets Scandinavian.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-14-22, 09:32 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
"Matteo Jorgenson" is a supremely American name- the melting pot where hispanic meets Scandinavian.
Indeed!

There is (or at least was) a spot in Park City called the Irish Camel. They served Mexican food. Whenever I went in there, I secretly hoped to meet Soledad O'Brien.

Cheers to our rainbow world. And the multinational organism that the pro peloton is.
Old 04-14-22, 04:25 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

More on the car thing.
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/q...se-pijl-crash/
Perhaps the jury should fine the commissaire too.
Old 04-15-22, 05:07 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
^^LR was speculating the crash was the fault of whatever rider had veered out then cut back into the peloton after realizing the car was behind. I disagree, I was shocked to see the cars move past at that particular point. They were antsy to service the riders up in the break before the gap closed again - which happened pretty quickly as Trentin and Mathews and Valgren group broke free of the remaining peloton.

Magnus Sheffield had an interesting comment after the race about how he has a knack for memorizing lines and turns from his love of Alpine Skiing. Super strong on those cobbled climbs. Is he riding Roubaix? I hope so!

Kind of excited Barguil is doing well this year also.
Old 04-15-22, 05:23 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I think it is too simple to blame only the driver. Not that they shouldn't take a hit, similar to the captain asleep in his bunk when the duty officer runs aground. However, the cars do not move up until told, and then they must move through. They toot when they do. He could not have been more to the left and reacted well when things went pear shaped. All that was happening correctly. The riders have some duty to behave as part of the ecosystem. Coquard (I think he was the one who shot out and back but didn't go down) & co. own some of the blame. I assume the fellow who went down behind the car did so because of the Coquard-induced braking, but even then, QS did not slam on the brakes so they mitigated the damage.

Commentary I saw said it was a difficult course with very few places to move the cars through. That stretch was one of them. Maybe it was the least bad option. So maybe the commissaire who sent Ineos and then QS cars through, that I so glibly fined in the prior post, was doing a reasonable thing. Still ended poorly. Another owner.

Lousy situation with multiple contributing factors. Thankfully a rare result. We'd like it rarer. Glad no one got squished. But this was not culpable negligence like the idiot who put Flecha and Hoogerland into the barbed wire or some of the other moto incidents in recent years.
Old 04-16-22, 06:55 PM
GrainBrain

Caught the end of the women's Paris-Roubaix. Longo Borgini with an incredible solo effort for like 35km off the front by only 11-15 seconds for half of it.

Awesome bike handling after over cooking a wicked looking corner. Checkout the pictures, enters at 32kmh, exits at 17kmh!!

Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 04-20-22, 07:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Somewhere in Alejandro Valverde's attic is a picture of Peter Sagan that keeps getting older.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-21-22, 01:35 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Somewhere in Alejandro Valverde's attic is a picture of Peter Sagan that keeps getting older.

Are you Stephen Wright? Or maybe you just wrote for him earlier in your career?
Old 04-24-22, 07:17 AM
GrainBrain

Today in Belgium: Brutal - absolutely brutal!
Old 04-24-22, 11:47 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
looks like remco is fully recovered.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 04-25-22, 11:22 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
looks like remco is fully recovered.
That was an incredible attack!

Did you see how quickly Powless responded to it? I think Powless could've stayed with but opted to stay in the pack because on paper that was the smartest idea right? If Powless did stay with would the duo have been given such a leash?

Incredible round'bout jumping skills from Remco.

Lookup "sportsmanship" in the dictionary and you will see a picture of Romain Bardet.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 05-01-22, 03:09 PM
MinnMan

I have tuned out for a little while. After the end of the classics and until the beginning of the Giro (soon!), I haven't watched a race clip, a podcast, or done much more than scan a few headlines from Cyclingnews.

Taking a breather....
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-01-22, 07:15 PM
GrainBrain

Sean Quinn had a very impressive run in tour of Romandie. Tour of Alps as well. American from Los Angeles riding for EF.
Old 05-01-22, 07:36 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Well, you missed an incredibly stupid sprint by Sergio Higuita to win the last road stage at Romandie yesterday. He beat teammate Vlasov into 2nd. The problem was Higuita was 2 min down on GC while Vlasov was 3rd at 24 seconds, denying his team leader a potentially crucial 4 seconds of bonification. In the end no harm done, Vlasov beat everyone in the final TT to win Romandie, but still a stupid move on Higuita's part. Impressive sprint, from way back, but from way back he had to have seen Vlasov ahead of him. Also impressive in the race was Juan Ayuso, who managed 4th.