Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame Name Game #432,561

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frame Name Game #432,561

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 10:08 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Frame Name Game #432,561

This one followed me home and I’m scratching my head. Let’s assume the fork goes with frame and the rest represents questionable choices.

31.8mm down tube

Hard to get a good reading on the seat tube ID. 26.6-ish.

Remnants of of original green pant. Yes, the kickstand will be removed.

Suntour dropouts. I couldn’t get a pic of the fork DO. Stupid security not-QR. If anyone has the socket may I borrow it for 30 seconds?
Old 07-22-22, 04:10 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
This one followed me home and I’m scratching my head. Let’s assume the fork goes with frame and the rest represents questionable choices.

31.8mm down tube

Hard to get a good reading on the seat tube ID. 26.6-ish.

Remnants of of original green pant. Yes, the kickstand will be removed.

Suntour dropouts. I couldn’t get a pic of the fork DO. Stupid security not-QR. If anyone has the socket may I borrow it for 30 seconds?
This sort of thing is one of the good reasons why I have several cutoff tools and die grinders.

And yes, you are welcome to borrow or bring it by to be liberated but I'm way on the other side of town.
Old 07-22-22, 04:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
FWIW, the serial number format is consistent with Nomura of Japan and in conjunction with frame features would indicate early 1984 manufacture. They built frames for numerous brands, including Centurion, Niko, Novara, Raleigh and Shogun. The 26.6 seat post is consistent with many Tange tubesets. Based on the way the stays are exiting the BB shell, I'm assuming this is an ATB frame? It looks like an early Diamond Back model., though it would be hard to say which one, due to the absence of OEM parts.

Edit: In 1984, according to member frantik, that year's catalog had 3 ATB models, the Mean Streak, Trail Streak and Sand Streak. My database has serial number samples for two 1984 Trail Streaks that indicate manufacture by Fairly of Taiwan and they used lugless construction. Consequently, the subject bicycle, having been manufactured in Japan, with lugged construction, should be the top Mean Streak model. If you look closely, the dropout flats are chromed on the attached Mean Streak photo. Tubing decals on extant Mean Streak indicate Tange Champion Mountain Bike, plain gauge, CrMo.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-22-22 at 06:44 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-22-22, 05:08 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Stupid security not-QR. If anyone has the socket may I borrow it for 30 seconds?
That triangle looks equilateral - if so I'd measure the distance across two points, then go get every six, twelve, and torx socket about that size and start measuring them; might have to take a bit off the outside with a grinder to get it in there.
Old 07-22-22, 07:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
That triangle looks equilateral - if so I'd measure the distance across two points, then go get every six, twelve, and torx socket about that size and start measuring them; might have to take a bit off the outside with a grinder to get it in there.
My thoughts exactly. grab the 1/4" drive sockets and try until one fits
Old 07-22-22, 08:20 AM
RustyJames 

T-Mar The photo you posted looks like a match. I wasn’t aware that any ATBs used curly lugs so that combined with the larger downtube is what was causing me to really scratch my head. The bike came with 26” Kin Lin wheels, Sugino VP crank and a straight, chromed steel seat post but I didn’t want to assume the components were original to the bike. The seller had no idea what the bike was and advertised it as a Peugeot.

Thanks to the others for suggesting the 1/4” socket idea. I’ll give that a go before the cut-off wheel gets fired up.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 07-22-22, 03:20 PM
RustyJames 

The 1/4” socket worked perfect. I just eyeballed it and the first socket I grabbed worked perfectly.

I mentioned this frame to a frame and his bits tingled. He’s been on the hunt for one and I’m not married to it so it may have a new home VERY soon.