Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

2009 Civil War Century

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 07:29 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
2009 Civil War Century

September 12th.....Civil War Century. Who is riding?
I am thinking about making the trek East from Cleveland for this ride but I may be solo. Would love to have some fellow BF'rs to ride with.
Old 08-01-09, 07:56 PM
barndoor
5' 19"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on the fence on this one....lots of stuff going on that weekend....it's a maybe at best for me...maybe an 11th hour decision....great ride, very hilly ..... scenic and well staffed....hope to be able to squeeze this one in....

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 08-01-09, 08:09 PM
joshuaandlauri

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty sure I will be there, I did a run with the BBC in june? and had a tire bead break in turn cutting my ride short, so I need to do it.

Last edited by joshuaandlauri; 08-02-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 02:09 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm already signed up. Last year was my first year. They had to postpone it a day because of a bad storm on the scheduled day, but they still pulled off a well-run event. I'm looking forward to it. Hard but fun!
Old 08-02-09, 09:15 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll plug a little known aspect of the century ride and that is at around the 60 mile mark there is a bail out that is all down hill to the ride start. So for those of you who are looking for a more challenging century and still not sure if you can handle all those hills this is a great ride to try out.

I'm volunteering so I will not be riding.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 08-02-09, 02:07 PM
barndoor
5' 19"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
I'll plug a little known aspect of the century ride and that is at around the 60 mile mark there is a bail out that is all down hill to the ride start. So for those of you who are looking for a more challenging century and still not sure if you can handle all those hills this is a great ride to try out.

Nice tip ;^)

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 08-02-09, 03:31 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks Barry....If you recall we did a ride together last year when I was in town. Looking forward to seing you again at this ride.
Old 08-02-09, 08:03 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm registered to ride the Civil War Century, but the club is short on hands, so I'm likely going to end up volunteering instead. If I do, I'm thinking about heading down to Indian Head the next day to ride the Oxon Hill Club's Southern Maryland Century.

In 2003 (?) I availed myself of the CWC bailout to which Barry refers, when I was suffering the mother of all cramps (quads AND calves AND hamstrings, in BOTH legs, at the SAME time ). I forget exactly where it is, but I believe it's shortly past the top of the third (of four) major climbs, and I think it's around mile 65-ish -- ?? I seem to remember a nice 7-mile downhill all the way back to Thurmont, and that I ended up with about 72 miles.
Old 08-03-09, 11:36 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxine
I'm registered to ride the Civil War Century, but the club is short on hands, so I'm likely going to end up volunteering instead. If I do, I'm thinking about heading down to Indian Head the next day to ride the Oxon Hill Club's Southern Maryland Century.

In 2003 (?) I availed myself of the CWC bailout to which Barry refers, when I was suffering the mother of all cramps (quads AND calves AND hamstrings, in BOTH legs, at the SAME time ). I forget exactly where it is, but I believe it's shortly past the top of the third (of four) major climbs, and I think it's around mile 65-ish -- ?? I seem to remember a nice 7-mile downhill all the way back to Thurmont, and that I ended up with about 72 miles.

It's Rt 77 Foxville Rd that descends all of the way to Thurmont just before climbing up Raven Rock Rd Rt 491 just outside of Smithburg.

I'm going to wait until winter to do it again:

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/archives/10783/20081231

Last edited by NoRacer; 08-03-09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-03-09, 03:59 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
It's Rt 77 Foxville Rd that descends all of the way to Thurmont just before climbing up Raven Rock Rd Rt 491 just outside of Smithburg.

I'm going to wait until winter to do it again:

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/archives/10783/20081231
You really are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? How about a nice fall day . . . ya know, pretty leaves and stuff, and no arctic gales?
Old 08-05-09, 09:00 PM
estabro
lungbuster

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road, SSFG Road, Kona FS MTN, Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about riding this one...
Old 08-06-09, 07:31 AM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is in my list of tentatives depending on my travel schedule.
Old 08-06-09, 08:26 AM
Mister C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably will join this ride but haven't committed to it yet. I am bit behind on training this year and want to see how I fare at the Cumberland Valley Century this weekend before committing to the Civil War.

The area is beautiful and it should be great ride.
Old 08-06-09, 10:42 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister C
Probably will join this ride but haven't committed to it yet. I am bit behind on training this year and want to see how I fare at the Cumberland Valley Century this weekend before committing to the Civil War.

The area is beautiful and it should be great ride.
+1. Nice to know other fellow members will be out at Cumberland Valley Century.
Old 08-06-09, 03:45 PM
prxmid
dolce far niente

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding the metric. Does anyone know the metric route, don't believe it's nearly as hilly as the century
Old 08-07-09, 06:19 AM
WJ13US

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prxmid
I'm riding the metric. Does anyone know the metric route, don't believe it's nearly as hilly as the century
I've ridden it a few times. And yes it is no where neer as hilly as the 3/4 or full. Basically it's rollers but mostly flat. There are no mountain climbs

If you are thinking about challenging yourself a bit you could do the 3/4, that one too has the bailout at about mile 40, but there are two mountain climbs.

Due to a leg injury that sidelined me for about a month and a half, I'll be volunteering this year.

Bill
Old 08-13-09, 06:36 AM
cdale56

Bikes: Lemond, Cannondale

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The metric doesn't include the two big climbs of the century and while the longer ride was beautiful, I thought that the scenery was nicer on the metric.

Can't make it this year but it hope to go again some day. Completely new to me, I was amazed at what great riding territory it is down there.
Old 08-13-09, 10:33 AM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prxmid
I'm not a very strong rider but did this ride for the first time last year - was really pleased. BBC really pulled this off after having to move it to a SAFER day when the remnants of a hurricane weren't barrelling through. The only bad hills around the metric were near a ski resort - Liberty - can't recall the resort.
Well run esp that first rest stop ;-)....Barry was working it....
Old 08-13-09, 03:42 PM
HC203

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there with a few guys I ride with on Sundays. This will be their first century but getting them prepared with a few metrics leading up, I think two are doing the century and two the metric.

I'm looking forward to it. There are also a bunch of guys from Ellen's hubbies crew that will be there.

The bailout-Indeed a long downhill coast to the parking lot. I took that bailout last time and wished I hadn't as when I got to the lot I was fine. I recall just being quite overheated.

Maxine-I'll probably be doing the Indian Head as well. I've done it the past two years, including the year I bailed at the CWC. Hopefully this year I'll finish both centuries. A long drive down to Indian Head so I may just head there from Thurmont on Sat night.
Old 08-13-09, 05:43 PM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't been riding for that long, but I'm thinking of trying out the century. Looks like a good challenge.
Old 08-22-09, 04:34 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.... CWC 2009 sold out sometime in the past two days. So if you were sitting on the fence, it's probably too late to get in on the fun.

So here's the question: what distance will folks be riding? I'm going the whole century, as was the case last year: great route, fun times.
Old 08-24-09, 05:18 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Century for me. This will be the last specifically hilly event I'll be doing this year. After this I plan to ride on the MD Eastern Shore and stay in one gear the entire day
Old 08-24-09, 01:05 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
Century for me. This will be the last specifically hilly event I'll be doing this year. After this I plan to ride on the MD Eastern Shore and stay in one gear the entire day
On your new bike, you should be flying up those hills!

I plan on far more hills before the snow flies, though only one event that has full-on support (the Great River Ride on October 11). There will be club rides of Lost River/Columbia Furnace area and the Blue Grass Byways route, both with PPTC. I'm also riding the PPTC Century, though I'd hesitate to call that route hilly in comparison with CWC, Mountain Mama or MoM.

But the hills are a constant - keep 'em coming!
Old 08-24-09, 01:50 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
For members who had run the CWC and the Reston Century within the last two years, can you tell me how do they compare to each other? I'm wondering especially how the two climbs at Taylorstown loop of Reston Century compares to the climbs of CWC.

Ihsan
Old 08-24-09, 04:09 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ihsan Gin
For members who had run the CWC and the Reston Century within the last two years, can you tell me how do they compare to each other? I'm wondering especially how the two climbs at Taylorstown loop of Reston Century compares to the climbs of CWC.
You're talking about the Stumptown and Taylorstown climbs on the RBC Century, right? Those two are steeper than the climbs on CWC, but are far, far shorter. Most of the climbs on CWC are of the long, grinding type: 4-6 percent grade over a few miles, rather than the 8-10 percent grade over 1 mile like the Stump/Taylor hills. There are some short, steep climbs on CWC, as well, but they're in the minority.

Note that the CWC starts with a 4 mile climb out of Thurmont - quite the warm-up from a cold start. That is the longest, biggest climb of the ride. After that, there are other climbs that are slightly steeper, but shorter. The second big climb of the ride happens around mile 59, climbing Raven Rock Road out of Smithsburg. After a short blip heading toward Gettysburg at mile 71 (the steepest single pitch on the ride), it trends level-to-downhill for the remainder of the ride: you have all of the big climbing done by mile 72.

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.