Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Homeless story on Rebecca Twigg

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Homeless story on Rebecca Twigg

Old 04-18-19, 02:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Maybe so, doesn't mean we can't try.
Exactly.
Old 04-18-19, 03:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Tx, agreed, all good points but,

she could do what she wants with it, pass it on to help others, it might give her the uplift she needs.

This is why I haven't moved forward, been trying to figure out how to put it out there for her to approve somehow, may reach out to the writer for ideas.
I was thinking this morning the author of the article would provide the best probable avenue and maybe some guidance. My guess would be there is more info than made it into the article.
Old 04-18-19, 04:09 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Since she won't accept help, she'll remain homeless, no? It seems like so much spinning of wheels (no pun intended) if she refuses any assistance. Astonishing considering how much support is awaiting her.
Old 04-18-19, 05:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Since she won't accept help, she'll remain homeless, no? It seems like so much spinning of wheels (no pun intended) if she refuses any assistance. Astonishing considering how much support is awaiting her.
Tough and proud can trump many good things.
Old 04-18-19, 06:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
This is wishful thinking, but maybe REI in Seattle can create or fill a job using her skills and talents, but it would be difficult for any famous person to work anywhere.
REI may be a good fit. And, she could either work on the floor, or perhaps in a back office. Does the company have any "employment social programs"? Why, or why not?

I don't see the "once famous" thing as an issue. If I had bicycle questions, I'd certainly like to talk to someone who actually rides (and has had a history of racing). Of course, it could take some effort to get up to speed with everything new if she fell out of racing 20+ years ago. Did she do her own bicycle maintenance?

Anyway, wear a nametag, "Rebecca", and many people would not even notice she was a famous racer a few decades past.

Of course, there is also Goodwill, that is supposed to specialize in social employment issues, although I don't have any inside info about them.

Unfortunately, we don't have the whole story of what she would need from an employer. Some work schedule flexibility? Recognition? Stubbornness? Just getting back on the feet?
Originally Posted by repechage
I was thinking this morning the author of the article would provide the best probable avenue and maybe some guidance. My guess would be there is more info than made it into the article.
I've thought about trying to contact Rebecca Twigg myself, haven't attempted yet, but may still do so. There would likely be two methods. The author apparently is posting his own contact info in the article.

Another option mentioned in the article is that Rebecca Twigg apparently has periodic contact with the Mary’s Place Women’s Day Center, and that might be a good place to send letters to her, then she would have a choice of responding if she wishes.

What could/would I offer personally? I don't know. I wouldn't see it as idol worship. While I did regularly ride, I didn't pay much attention to sports in the 80's or 90's. And, I hadn't heard the name until a week ago.

I don't wish to just dump money to support someone. Nonetheless, I could likely offer friendship which would include a room with no strings attached if needed, and free home meals. Shower, and support for employment attempts? Oh, and a bicycle.

Of course, I'm also 300 miles away from her current comfort area, which could be either good or bad.
Old 04-18-19, 06:34 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Were I there, and so suited, I think I'd just ask her. What I think she needs or wants is probably way off. Maybe all I could offer is a cup of coffee, but I'd listen. Pretty sure she's smarter than I am and knows what she wants to do.

I used to volunteer at a shelter, cooked many an evening meal and packed their lunches to take to the jobs we found for them. (When I cooked from scratch, it was all I could do to keep the staff from packing coolers with the food before I even served it.)

Anyway, the residents were all pretty nice people, who just needed opportunity. We tested pretty often, so the ones I encountered were the best suited to move out into an apartment, etc, which we found for them, as well.

I learned where to buy food stamps, drugs, and where to stay at night, if I was homeless, etc. I ended up seeing the same guy in the same tobacco warehouse doorway almost every morning, so I always bought an extra cup of coffee at Hardee's (the local stores used S&D coffee) and just gave it to him. He had his reasons, I'm sure, for not going to the shelter, and then the city re-did the warehouses as a performing arts center, museum, etc. Always wondered where he went.

Whenever I was out and encountered a former resident in McDonald's or something, the last thing we discussed was the shelter. Wasn't my place to bring it up, period.
Old 04-18-19, 06:49 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Seems like she got to where she is today due to a great part by choice.
Let's not forget this woman ditched her daughter.

I'll bet a lot of young black single moms living in the projects would love to have had her choice and talents and opportunities at that young age.
I don't see anyone sympathizing with a project mom and say "oh she's got a mental illness so let's feel sorry for her".

While is it sad to see this woman in such condition, I don't think it's because of any mental illness. The "mental illness" (if even) might come after she has fallen into despair. Of course, despair can drive any normal person into a mental case too.
Old 04-18-19, 07:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

There you go, judge away, based on the mountain of information you have on hand.
Lot of that happening these days.

Rather than respond to your second paragraph, I'll just ask: WhoTF are you?
Old 04-18-19, 07:05 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by aclinjury
Seems like she got to where she is today due to a great part by choice.
Let's not forget this woman ditched her daughter.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of gaps in the story. And many things are necessarily private.

Who are the "relatives" that the daughter is living with? What about the father?

What I will say is that living out of a car is no place for a 14 year old kid, and I'm glad to hear that the family has found presumably stable alternatives for the kid. Heck, it is possible that aunts or uncles were very insistent that the kid be given a roof.
Old 04-18-19, 09:35 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Unfortunately, there are a lot of gaps in the story. And many things are necessarily private.

Who are the "relatives" that the daughter is living with? What about the father?

What I will say is that living out of a car is no place for a 14 year old kid, and I'm glad to hear that the family has found presumably stable alternatives for the kid. Heck, it is possible that aunts or uncles were very insistent that the kid be given a roof.
I personally think the story left out a lot of gaps that would have painted her choices and decisions in a negative light. If anything, the article is sympathetic toward her.
What if all the project moms started to claim mental illness? I'm sure the same folks in here sympathizing this woman would take a more skeptical views. Pretty damn sure of it.
Old 04-18-19, 09:39 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
I think we should quit "analyzing" Rebecca Twigg on this forum. None of us know all the facts and it is just not fair to her.
Any theories and elaboration regarding her situation from unqualified strangers in such a public forum could be quite abhorrent to her and her family.
Let's all just wish her well, send her our respect and continued admiration and hope everything will get better for her and her daughter very soon.
Old 04-18-19, 11:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
I've heard the stories of a few hundred who have fallen into addiction. What I hear over and over is how the events of childhood have left that person without the ability to see what is in front of them as a choice. And that does not change until there is huge re-awakening. Sometimes interventions or sincerely offered help starts that awakening. But far more often, that person will go as before, still not seeing the choice.

This woman doesn't sound like she's an addict, but I hear a story I've heard many times; all but the path she "chose". The childhood. Leading a life of a crazy roller coaster and seeking that high. Being used by others.

My story is very different and doesn't have a place here, but if I had not had that awakening I'd not be here.

Ben
Old 04-19-19, 12:50 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I think we should quit "analyzing" Rebecca Twigg on this forum. None of us know all the facts and it is just not fair to her. Any theories and elaboration regarding her situation from unqualified strangers in such a public forum could be quite abhorrent to her and her family. Let's all just wish her well, send her our respect and continued admiration and hope everything will get better for her and her daughter very soon.
Too bad this isn't common sense.
Old 04-19-19, 07:36 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Too bad this isn't common sense.
The happenings of the Internet and common sense are oft times mutually exclusive of one another . She became fodder for opinion and discussion of those who have no dog in the fight the minute that article was published online . Twas the catalyst for many threads in multiple forums online started by someone who recognized her name in the "paper". A good case in point is this thread , its many pontifications and mental meanderings of well intentioned people who just want to help.
Old 04-19-19, 07:41 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Read: Forbes - Americas Real Economy
Working class and homeless.

I didn't even want to pipe in on this thread as its a 'classic and vintage' bike forum, - not this tragic storyline of Twigg.

But, we're all part of it in some way, have a responsibility to keep civil and show humanity.

With that, its now far reaching and feel the topic has its place here.

These past few years have been an incredible eye opener for myself and seeing others in desperate, mental health issues. Be ready if you dare open up offering any help.

Firstly, the following was nothing I thought possible and not anticipated. (I was raised in a large loving family, support and pitching in, regardless. We were taught to be there for others too. Stand straight, comb your hair and keep hands out of your pockets!)

-------
Later life now-
The crazy part of this, settled in we're downsized but in a comfortable semi-retirement, active adult gated community. What I'm saying, residents are not the young starting out families.

Figured all are pretty much set, travel and have second residences, etc..

-----

It would be too much to even begin describing what I'm seeing, doing what I can for those and yet now see the train wreck coming for the next generation. The worst has yet to come.

Next, I will share this. Shame on all those families that can't support each other for whatever reasons- their self centered little minds, vanity, narrcistic and money clamouring mentality. That's where this all starts.

Volunteering at shelters and food assistance kitchens is for the better feel good moments, shall you wish to get involved.

Forewarned, if you do open and take on personally helping. Set your limits, keep it civil, help when you can but recognize when to back off.

The last line is where I'm taking a reality check and need to focus on our own home turf with stability. Told my wife, enough of this mayhem of pariah drifting into our home and life. We have enough to take care of in family, health and finances.

Been helping and giving to four quite serious problematic middle aged to senior. None reside with us but it seems they do. Two have become assertive to one bordering aggressive. I'm now cold on one and the other got a polite.... leave now. One is a chronic druggie that's worked over the govt. handouts for two decades, they provide the drugs too... that he sells... govt. provided food card.... that he sells BUT... as he eats by meandering around to others knowing where he gets a fine meals. And thus is picky, never complimentary on any of this.

Number three lives alone has dementia with a zero deadbeat azzhats of a family whom essentially are awaiting her death. It shouldn't even be my business and I don't want to be involved but I've been helping her and providing needs almost daily for a year now. Abandoned, still can't believe its real and the shallowness of people, non caring for their parents.

Mind you, this case and her children are in their 60s! Heard all the excuses from her family.

I've now pushed for govt. intervention and food charities to help that woman. Have to absolve from this and quite honestly, told my wife I don't want to be held liable should anything happen. Could only imagine the cockroach of a family coming after me. That's litigation in America these days.

The last subject is veteran, served in Vietnam. He's cool in my book. Lots going on with him, but I'm always there for him of which I greatly enjoy doing.

I don't have answers but trying my little best I can. Though, I'm convinced almost all of the problem stems from family (or those of millions never having).

Stay well, all. Go ride your bike!

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-19-19 at 09:00 AM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-19-19, 02:54 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I suspect mental illness. For all friends and all family to reject her suggests she may be impossible to live with.
Sad for her but also very frustrating for those who want to help.
Old 04-19-19, 03:49 PM
threeteas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
Perhaps we cannot change the entire world, but just maybe we can do our best to help 1 person at a time. I"m sure there are successful business owners on BF, does anyone have a job they could offer? Steady income, even if not in the stratosphere $$-wise, is a huge step forward. Knowing that you can find a place to live, food, and make a contribution is significant.

I've sold my interest in an internet development company, or I would seek her out myself. She may decide against it, but receiving the offer all by itself adds to self-worth - and she seems a little lacking in that right now.

Articulate, educated, and phenomenal accomplishments in her life are all in her favor. She may be difficult to manage, but so was I. Maybe that's why I started my own company.

I just don't want to read another story down the road about her that ends up like Kelly Catlin. What a loss that was, and would be.
This. Also, I distinctly remember reading that Twigg suffered at least one head injury which left her terrified of pack riding for a long time. I would guess that it wasn't her only one--and this is a time before people trained with helmets a whole lot.

I was a junior when she was at the top and had a big crush on her. I wish her all the best!
Likes For threeteas:
Old 04-19-19, 03:55 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I suspect mental illness. For all friends and all family to reject her suggests she may be impossible to live with.
You may have hit it right on the head. My now estranged wife has mental illness and has had it for decades. None of her family members allow her to stay with them. She has jumped from one home to another because it's always some reason about not getting along with people in said households. I'm 110% sure it isn't the households.
Old 04-19-19, 05:37 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I definitely sounds like mental illness, but I think that makes her story all the more value as an example of what homelessness is really like. The story mentions that she wanted to show homelessness isn't always about drug or alcohol addiction. I think it also shows that the mental illness of the homeless isn't always what we imagine either. Anyone who looks into the homeless problem at all is quickly told that mental illness is a core issue. I suspect that most people have a picture of some guy walking around with a tin foil hat telling people that the government is using radio waves to control his brain. Those people are definitely out there. I've talked to a few of them. But Rebecca Twigg certainly doesn't appear to be suffering from that kind of mental illness. She's obviously thoughtful and articulate, even clear thinking in many respects.

Twigg's issues remind me a lot of what my daughter struggles with. My daughter isn't crazy, and she isn't stupid. She is, nevertheless, severely hampered by mental illness. In my daughter's case it has been diagnosed as an anxiety disorder, though I take that to be a very broad term that doesn't say much more than that sometimes things overwhelm her to the point that she can't function normally. Most people who meet her wouldn't suspect she has a problem. She's calm and controlled 90% of the time. She's even happy frequently. But when things take a bad turn, they really take a bad turn.

My daughter is still living at home, and as long as I have a home she'll have that option. Unfortunately, she's probably only got about 7 years of coverage left on my health insurance plan. We've been wrestling with our HMO since she was 12. They've given her a handful of diagnoses and occasionally, almost grudgingly they'll prescribe medication to see if it helps her. So far it mostly hasn't. Recently, following the advice of a therapist, she went to the emergency room to seek help during a severe panic attack. After six hours in the emergency room, mostly under observation, she was sent home with a note advising deep breathing, a healthy diet, and regular exercise. That's the kind of care you get if you're in a privileged family with well above average health insurance coverage. I can only imagine what kind of mental health care you get when you're an ex-athlete who has recently chosen to quit her job.
Old 04-19-19, 06:16 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I'm 110% sure it isn't the households.
Of course, one can only spend so long sleeping on a couch, especially if it is not a close blood relative.

It sounds like Rebecca also has a lot of self pride, and perhaps misinterprets people's wishes. So, she may choose to leave on her own volition not wanting to be an imposition.
Old 04-20-19, 05:43 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My wife is an LMFT who worked at a hospital that specialized in providing mental health services for the homeless. She hated it - it was a cynical exercise. The police bring them in when they cause a scene or almost die. The hospital medicates them, gets them stable, kicks them out in three days with a prescription bottle in their hands. And then bills the state government. Someone does find them a place to go, but no one makes sure they go there. There's no long term plan.

In some ways this state does a much better job than others. There was a hospital in Nevada that would put them on a bus and dump them out of state. The press called it "Greyhound therapy." In other ways we do worse. Probably because of the good weather we don't have shelters like cities in the north, and so we get town sized camps.
We have an awful homeless problem up here too. Housing first is beginning to gain some ground, but it still has a long way to go.
Old 04-20-19, 06:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by wgscott
I'd like to think our society could be a little more accommodating and compassionate.
Yeah, it’s not like she refused to bake a cake, shot a dog, or plans to open a Chick Fil-A...

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-20-19 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 01:50 PM
RB1oldguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The people around her failed her. Only $50K/year at her peak ! With a halfway decent agent & her looks & records, she could easily have pulled in millions in her 20s.
With a suitable situation, her mental problems would not be that big of a deal. But it does take money & people to guide her.
Old 04-22-19, 02:04 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I expected there to be much more White Knighting in this thread. Rebecca, if you have made it thus far in the thread, you are a stronger person than I, please accept my sincerest apologies. They know not what they do.
Old 04-22-19, 02:33 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 308 Posts
I may be able to help her, will try.

I have experience and helpful knowledge with her situation.

I have a tiny room in Seattle. Most of the time now, I am out of Seattle at my girlfriend's house. I wish I could loan my room to Rebecca when I'm not there, which is most of the time, but that's against the rules.

I was homeless for a time, survived better than most, but it's still quite traumatizing so I understand. I am doing much better now. I was also previously very high achieving, advanced degree, patents. I'm knowledgeable of a wide range of mental disorders from contact with others. I'm not qualified to treat, but can recognize things and perhaps recommend where assistance is available. I know where she may be able to get free counseling. It helped greatly for me just to have someone to talk with confidentially once a week when I was deeply traumatized. Rebecca sounds very emotionally isolated, both from the homelessness, and perhaps from shame and not wanting to impose on others, this is quite common but also quite damaging. Contact and socialization with others may help.

I've helped a lot of others in town. Other resources:

I know of some homeless camps that are a step above, I stayed at one a week (expecting longer) until my current housing became available. (Ironic, after staying in many bad places, I was actually happy there, read on...) It was very clean, they had their own tents set up on pallets and covered by tarps, dry, the only drawback was it was cold, but they provided lots of blankets. I was able to keep my bike chained just outside my tent, and each camper had to do some guard duty during the week, it was patrolled 24/7. They had ample and free food. Oh, and they even had a washer, dryer, and hot shower. The place was definitely a cut above. No drugs or alcohol, had to pass background check. However it was well outside of downtown Seattle.

If she has been diagnosed with mental health issues that interfere with her employment, she may quality for Social Security Disability which would not only provide income, but there is low income housing that would take 1/3 of that as rent.

I often fix bikes for the homeless, nothing fancy, but enough to get them moving (though I am very capable of full overhauls). I could get her set up on a bike and even a trailer if she wanted. Years ago I met a female army vet that was homeless but looked like she was bike touring, very clean, set up camp each night. Being homeless in Seattle, a bike vastly increases your travel radius, however it can pose challenges for storage when she goes into buildings. I myself have a 20" wheel folder with panniers, and when it needs to go inside, it always can, it can even fit under the bed in a shelter. In fact, I got mine when I was staying in a shelter.

I bought in the fall a bunch of "battery banks" (auxiliary storage batteries for cell phones via USB) that I have given to some homeless, extremely helpful to prolong their cell phone life, and can charge concurrently with their phone at the library or such. I'd be happy to give her one.

I just had dental work done at a local dental school, probably $1500 work for $150 total, not free, but still a good resource.

There are many free food banks, and places serving really good free meals, if Rebecca is not aware.

I know from the article she is hesitant to accept help without that same help going to others. But I will start small, see if I can help with anything in terms of non-monetary resources. Many of the homeless I have contact with, their mental health or substance abuse issues are too severe for my being able to help. With Rebecca, I think that may not be the case, she sounds lucid.

I'll reach out with the above info to the story author, with my contact info.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-22-19 at 03:16 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.