Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 02:02 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
As the completer of exactly one mission, but a follower of this thread from the beginning, I have to say that if this turns into "lets find props in our yards", I'm going to be out very soon--that's truly boring. I'd much rather wait for someone to complete a legitimate mission than see this as a mere shell of itself. If we want to relax something to deal with the no-contact strictures, how about the "bike next to" requirement? Any part of your bike appears in the frame--handlebar, whatever, shall be deemed sufficient.

There's been missions that have taken days throughout this thread, let's not assume that having a couple of difficult ones in a row indicates no one is really trying.
My thought was to accommodate anyone who is stuck inside or not able to room freely. Maybe most of us can ride freely in this thread? It would be interesting to see.... I can ride where ever I want thus far. Even though our state is on a mandatory lockdown. They are advocating "walking your dog" type thing. So I have not stopped riding. I would imagine if we have some members in a tight part of a city that are not able to get out, it might be an issue for them. It seems like most of us can get out. But I'm not really sure. And I don't want to leave anyone out. So at this point my perspective is to leave the mission up to the person who completes a mission. Whether they want it close or not I'm not gonna make an issue about it for now, like in the past.

I understand your perspective though, but I hope you like to keep participating.
Old 03-26-20, 04:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
My thought was to accommodate anyone who is stuck inside or not able to room freely. Maybe most of us can ride freely in this thread? It would be interesting to see.... I can ride where ever I want thus far. Even though our state is on a mandatory lockdown. They are advocating "walking your dog" type thing. So I have not stopped riding. I would imagine if we have some members in a tight part of a city that are not able to get out, it might be an issue for them. It seems like most of us can get out. But I'm not really sure. And I don't want to leave anyone out. So at this point my perspective is to leave the mission up to the person who completes a mission. Whether they want it close or not I'm not gonna make an issue about it for now, like in the past.

I understand your perspective though, but I hope you like to keep participating.
Just my 2 cents here because people are going to do what they do, but I was watching this thread during my winter riding layoff because it was fun to "ride vicariously" . The cool pictures and discussions have been a welcome relief from the tedium of home office gym. Lots of those missions took several days to fulfill, and some reasonable Mr. Bill rules were applied.

I'm riding, several people on this thread are riding. Please let's not turn this into "what's in your basement". Give us some time to actually find the things on our bikes. BTW, I'm perfectly ok with modifications like a river is a bird bath. If nothing else, that's funny, but it also was a beautiful picture.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-26-20, 05:10 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I actually hoped to find a latitude/longitude sign on the same trip too while I was at it, as I know there is one in the woods not far from where the pic was taken, but it got dark and I wasn't sure I'd find it in a dark forest without previous knowledge of the exact location (it marks the point where 57°N and 24°E cross).
Likes For subgrade:
Old 03-26-20, 11:59 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

So we're still at a LOOKOUT TOWER or Platform for the mission, eh? I might have a spot for that.....
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-26-20, 12:02 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Just my 2 cents here because people are going to do what they do, but I was watching this thread during my winter riding layoff because it was fun to "ride vicariously" . The cool pictures and discussions have been a welcome relief from the tedium of home office gym. Lots of those missions took several days to fulfill, and some reasonable Mr. Bill rules were applied.

I'm riding, several people on this thread are riding. Please let's not turn this into "what's in your basement". Give us some time to actually find the things on our bikes. BTW, I'm perfectly ok with modifications like a river is a bird bath. If nothing else, that's funny, but it also was a beautiful picture.
I'm still riding, too. Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and this morning. I only saw one other on human powered wheels today and he wheeled out of his driveway on a short wheelbase tadpole three wheeled recumbent. Looked fun.

Now, if only there were a sightseeing tower around here.
Old 03-26-20, 06:50 PM
3S1M

I don't know if this counts. I drove to get there. But once I was there I worked on my BMX freestyling for a while. And rode around that park a bit.

It's not really elevated per se. But right after that spot, it slopes down to Lake Michigan and I say the water level is about 250' lower, give or take. So it is KIND of elevated.

I'll let you decide Subgrade. If you say it's good to go, my Mission would be: An outdoor Park Pavilion, Bandshell, Gathering place, courtyard where people congregate. Obviously there probably won't be people or many people.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-26-20, 06:56 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Not an entry .. but out there trying

I did a buncha miles today looking for "good enough" nearby; failed. Consolation pic:

Bike improperly posed (left side, big sprocket, extra stuff, and you can't see the dirt) in front of an artificial lake (whose real mission is retention). Not a submission; for amusement only.

I've found a prospect 18 miles away but I've got to carve out the time to get there and back. (I'll be somewhat relieved if someone can bag it first.)

Last edited by flangehead; 03-26-20 at 06:58 PM. Reason: New mission pending.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 03-27-20, 04:51 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts

I don't know if this counts. I drove to get there. But once I was there I worked on my BMX freestyling for a while. And rode around that park a bit.

It's not really elevated per se. But right after that spot, it slopes down to Lake Michigan and I say the water level is about 250' lower, give or take. So it is KIND of elevated.

I'll let you decide Subgrade. If you say it's good to go, my Mission would be: An outdoor Park Pavilion, Bandshell, Gathering place, courtyard where people congregate. Obviously there probably won't be people or many people.
That's a pass
Likes For subgrade:
Old 03-27-20, 06:58 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Not an entry, went by yesterday:

What it looks like decked out in Fourth of July regalia:

3S1M's mission: An outdoor Park Pavilion, Bandshell, Gathering place, courtyard where people congregate.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-27-20, 09:30 AM
3S1M

It looks like Queen Latifah was singing.... Does she sing? I forget if that's how she got her start. For some reason every movie I've watched with her as the main Character, I like a lot. She's pretty funny but has a relatable or real person type of persona. Don't really know if it's true but somehow she comes across that way. LOL.
Old 03-27-20, 10:35 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
It looks like Queen Latifah was singing.... Does she sing? I forget if that's how she got her start. For some reason every movie I've watched with her as the main Character, I like a lot. She's pretty funny but has a relatable or real person type of persona. Don't really know if it's true but somehow she comes across that way. LOL.
Early Queen Latifah (Good article. Warning - graphic violent still images for a few seconds in the video)

In Film. Oops, one SBOMB. Safe for working from home?:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-27-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 12:17 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 321 Posts
The Gardens at Heather Farm. Weddings are often held here. Gandalf presiding would be appropriate.

And just to show you what a hard working photographer I am, I had to sneak around this sign. Didn’t get caught. In these quarantine days riding around feels like being a ghost

Next mission: some rocks, bigger the better in a pile or just one big one will do.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-27-20, 12:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
The Gardens at Heather Farm. Weddings are often held here. Gandalf presiding would be appropriate.

And just to show you what a hard working photographer I am, I had to sneak around this sign. Didn’t get caught. In these quarantine days riding around feels like being a ghost

Next mission: some rocks, bigger the better in a pile or just one big one will do.
A rock. And a river runs through it. About 100 yard long, 50 wide (could be wider but that’s all that is exposed) and 20 or 30 feet deep

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-27-20, 01:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A rock. And a river runs through it. About 100 yard long, 50 wide (could be wider but that’s all that is exposed) and 20 or 30 feet deep

Mission us, man! I get out of work in an hour.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-27-20, 02:06 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

If Joe Bikerider approves, the next mission will violate the rules a little: Let’s see those Covid19 emptied streets...but, and here’s the rule violation, let’s get more people involved. I want pictures from 5 different people. Make ‘em artsy or documentary or however you want to make them. I’ll judge which one I like best and award the mission to the next person. If you have before and after pictures all the better.

This is kind of what I’m looking for

Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-27-20 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-27-20, 02:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If Joe Bikerider approves, the next mission will violate the rules a little: Let’s see those Covid19 emptied streets...but, and here’s the rule violation, let’s get more people involved. I want pictures from 5 different people. Make ‘em artsy or documentary or however you want to make them. I’ll judge which one I like best and award the mission to the next person. If you have before and after pictures all the better.

Can we stipulate that this is a one-off violation just for variety? That's really a very different kind of contest and once might be ok, but I think that should be a different thread if it's going to repeat. I like this game the way it is, and that fundamentally changes its character.
Old 03-27-20, 02:26 PM
cyccommute 

Can we stipulate that this is a one-off violation just for variety? That's really a very different kind of contest and once might be ok, but I think that should be a different thread if it's going to repeat. I like this game the way it is, and that fundamentally changes its character.
I have no problem with that. I’d just like to have more people participate in this one.

Old 03-27-20, 02:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have no problem with that. I’d just like to have more people participate in this one.

I think it's good for a one-off variation. If it turns out well, maybe start a new thread with a second game.

The guy who Likes To Fight About The Rules is banned for a while, so this could be the ideal time for a more complex, subjective game.

Loved the rock pictures, btw.

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-27-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 02:34 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

Some rocks this morning

next mission : your bike next to a fire hydrant
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 03-27-20, 02:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus

Some rocks this morning

next mission : your bike next to a fire hydrant

Sorry but cyccommute beat you by about two hours.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-27-20, 02:43 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Did he specify the next mission?

Sorry but cyccommute beat you by about two hours.
Old 03-27-20, 02:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Did he specify the next mission?
Yup. here it is.
Old 03-27-20, 02:55 PM
PedalingWalrus

umm no. That is a different game but I am done. Did my part. Bye
🙂👍

Yup. here it is.
Old 03-27-20, 09:32 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
"Stay Home, Work Safe" in Harris County TX

Let’s see those Covid19 emptied streets...but, and here’s the rule violation, let’s get more people involved. I want pictures from 5 different people. Make ‘em artsy or documentary or however you want to make them. I’ll judge which one I like best and award the mission to the next person. If you have before and after pictures all the better.

My most common commute route at evening rush hour under Harris County Mandatory 'Stay Home-Work Safe' Order

Much less traffic. I'm allowed to "engage in outdoor activity, while keeping social distancing" under the order. Nice to be able to get out. (And I threw in a little extra for Pedaling Walrus.)

Last edited by flangehead; 03-27-20 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Note to the walrus
Likes For flangehead:
Old 03-28-20, 08:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

[QUOTE=cyccommute;21386613]If Joe Bikerider approves, the next mission will violate the rules a little: Let’s see those Covid19 emptied streets...but, and here’s the rule violation, let’s get more people involved. I want pictures from 5 different people. Make ‘em artsy or documentary or however you want to make them. I’ll judge which one I like best and award the mission to the next person. If you have before and after pictures all the better.

/QUOTE]

Not sure if it's directly on point, but it sums up what riding around feels like to me right now.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.