Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 10:08 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
These pics are lame, but they show what Saturday morning around here is like.

The one thing to note is everyone seems to be sleeping in compared to earlier this year when things were normal. That means I don't have to leave my house at 7 am on a weekend to avoid weekend traffic.

First pic below is a toll road. 4 lanes each way on the toll road and 3 lanes each side of the feeder, for a total of 14 lanes available. The feeder is likely empty due to tolls being waived while the county lock down is in effect. So, the feeder road traffic is now mingling with the toll road traffic.

6 lane road with traffic lighter than usual.

Last edited by FiftySix; 03-28-20 at 10:46 AM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-28-20, 12:06 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Its a good mission. My wife showed me some videos someone posted from a drone hovering over Downtown Milwaukee and I have NEVER seen it so bare. Even at night in the past. It was spooky but made me want to go ride down there. LOL. Maybe I should. It was during the week in the middle of the day I think. It would make for some pretty great pictures I would think.
Old 03-28-20, 12:22 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
Its a good mission. My wife showed me some videos someone posted from a drone hovering over Downtown Milwaukee and I have NEVER seen it so bare. Even at night in the past. It was spooky but made me want to go ride down there. LOL. Maybe I should. It was during the week in the middle of the day I think. It would make for some pretty great pictures I would think.
If only less cars and more bikes would last forever.
Old 03-28-20, 12:26 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
Here's Piccadilly Circus in central London, normally one of the busiest junctions in London. Behind me is Piccadilly, to my left is Regent St up to Oxford St, the lone bus is coming from Shaftsbury Avenue (theatre land), and off to the right of heads over to Leicester Square and Trafalgar square. This was taken today, a dry Saturday at 2pm and in 20+ years of living here I've never seen it so quiet.

In a city of 9 million people it can be a challenge to achieve effective social distancing because of the Corona virus, and this is one of the last places and times you'd expect to be able to achieve it.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 03-28-20, 01:24 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Arlington Center, closed Regent Theater, empty buses (you now board for free at the back door to social distance from the driver, not that anybody is), and St. Agnes spire in the background, also quite empty:

East Arlington, closed Capitol Theater (appeared earlier in this thread), but new popcorn popup, togo theater popcorn for your Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+/Apple TV/CBS All Access... pleasure, with one woman waiting for curbside pickup:

Davis Square, Somerville Theater (also appeared earlier in this thread). Usually a madhouse, the traffic is so bad they self-cork, which if you are fearless makes for good riding, buy pretty much crickets now:

Dave’s Fresh Pasta, my number one destination in Davis Square. Best way to get there from here is via bicycle. The fresh ravioli is amazing, and everything smells WONDERFUL. Now curbside only, missing the wonderful smells, but still fresh ravioli. Five people scattered 6+ feet apart waiting to pick up, none drove. Cameo in the window:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-28-20 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-28-20, 10:03 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
What's the mission?
Old 03-28-20, 10:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
Here's Piccadilly Circus in central London, normally one of the busiest junctions in London. Behind me is Piccadilly, to my left is Regent St up to Oxford St, the lone bus is coming from Shaftsbury Avenue (theatre land), and off to the right of heads over to Leicester Square and Trafalgar square. This was taken today, a dry Saturday at 2pm and in 20+ years of living here I've never seen it so quiet.

In a city of 9 million people it can be a challenge to achieve effective social distancing because of the Corona virus, and this is one of the last places and times you'd expect to be able to achieve it.
I got my 5 and I like this one for a couple of reasons. As far as I can tell, botty kayer hasn’t won a mission before and I like the picture...it’s almost out of “28 Days Later”. The next mission is yours, botty kayer.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-29-20, 04:04 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
OK thanks cyccommute .

I'm new to the thread and have not managed to go through all the pages, so apologies if this mission has been done before, if it has just say and I'll set another one.

New mission
The post above from Mr Bill highlighted some good local stores and influenced my challenge. 29th March is apparently National Mom and Pop business owners day in the USA, so I'd like to see a picture of your bike outside your favourite Mom & Pop business. They may have been forced to close due to the pandemic, and many face an uncertain future, so now is the time to give them a shout out, and along with the pic tell us briefly why you chose them.
Old 03-29-20, 09:16 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
The last remaining sorta mom & pop joint in an are known as Slabtown, all new construction condos and commercial, right next to the Pearl District and along the northwest waterfront. Building was built some time in the mid 1920s and has been a restaurant of some ilk the whole time. It is most infamous as being the location where, in 1994, an employee who was taking out some trash, found something odd and opened it up. Turned out these bags contained some very incriminating evidence in the assault on the elite Olympic skater Nancy Kerrigan. One of those items was reportedly a note with Nancy's training schedule and location. It was in Tonya Harding's handwriting. She and her gang were found guilty of various Crimes Against Skating and the rest is history. The Dockside is just about a mile south of the main transfer station for waste in Portland, basically, the in-city dump. Police suspect they were on their way there and just decided to stop at the dumpy restaurant instead. Fatal error...

You can see how tiny the lot is and that the new office building behind it is just literally virtually crawling all over it. I think it is awesome that they refuse to go away. Great burgers, BTW!
Old 03-29-20, 09:50 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Empty bowling alley, Harley's Simi Bowl, on a nice Saturday afternoon, Simi Valley, CA. Usually busy parking lot, empty now, but I think they are still doing take out food.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-29-20 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-29-20, 09:57 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Loving the retro building and pickup truck in that photo, Slightspeed!
Old 03-30-20, 04:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
The last remaining sorta mom & pop joint in an are known as Slabtown, all new construction condos and commercial, right next to the Pearl District and along the northwest waterfront. Building was built some time in the mid 1920s and has been a restaurant of some ilk the whole time. It is most infamous as being the location where, in 1994, an employee who was taking out some trash, found something odd and opened it up. Turned out these bags contained some very incriminating evidence in the assault on the elite Olympic skater Nancy Kerrigan. One of those items was reportedly a note with Nancy's training schedule and location. It was in Tonya Harding's handwriting. She and her gang were found guilty of various Crimes Against Skating and the rest is history. The Dockside is just about a mile south of the main transfer station for waste in Portland, basically, the in-city dump. Police suspect they were on their way there and just decided to stop at the dumpy restaurant instead. Fatal error...

You can see how tiny the lot is and that the new office building behind it is just literally virtually crawling all over it. I think it is awesome that they refuse to go away. Great burgers, BTW!
Botty liked your post, so I think you won. What's the new mission?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-30-20, 10:14 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Well this is a bummer. For some reason I don't see the pic of Picadilly Circus..... Huh.

I think that was BPCyclist who got the mom and pop pic mission. Eh? So yeah, got a new mission BP?
Old 03-30-20, 11:26 AM
bpcyclist

Ah--okay, great. New mission is the bike with any variety of deciduous azalea currently in bloom. If you are not familiar with these, just google it and you will see how they look different than the more common evergreen azaleas. They also tend to have much more interesting colors, in my opinion.
Old 03-30-20, 11:45 AM
3S1M

Well that brought up some old memories. I remember my Grandma talking about Azaleas. I think maybe she liked them or had one in her yard or something. But she used to talk about them often!

For some reason I can't link the picture google gave me.... Hang on, are these it?

New mission is the bike with any variety of deciduous azalea currently in bloom
Old 03-30-20, 11:59 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
[QUOTE=bpcyclist;21391598]Ah--okay, great. New mission is the bike with any variety of deciduous azalea currently in bloom. If you are not familiar with these, just google it and you will see how they look different than the more common evergreen azaleas. They also tend to have much more interesting colors, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure these are the evergreen variety, but since they're right outside my door I'll post anyway while they're in peak bloom. I didn't know there was a large leaf variety....looking forward to seeing one here.

New mission from bpcyclist: Your bike with any variety of deciduous azalea currently in bloom. If you are not familiar with these, just google it and you will see how they look different than the more common evergreen azaleas. They also tend to have much more interesting colors, in my opinion.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 03-30-20 at 12:08 PM.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-30-20, 08:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
The blooming azaleas (or any blooming tree/bush/shrub) is a good mission. But can I make a simple request for future mission assignments. That is...that people try to make the assignments so that everyone has a chance to complete them. Azaleas aren't going to bloom around here (southern New England) for about another month. It's kind of like making the mission "Your bike with a real snowman." I don't assign missions like that because I know that people in the south (US) literally have a snowball's chance in hell... So I'm just asking that people consider the location of ALL Bike Pic Mission players in the future when they assign their mission. Thanks.

New mission from bpcyclist: Your bike with any variety of deciduous azalea currently in bloom. If you are not familiar with these, just google it and you will see how they look different than the more common evergreen azaleas. They also tend to have much more interesting colors, in my opinion.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 03-30-20, 10:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
The blooming azaleas (or any blooming tree/bush/shrub) is a good mission. But can I make a simple request for future mission assignments. That is...that people try to make the assignments so that everyone has a chance to complete them. Azaleas aren't going to bloom around here (southern New England) for about another month. It's kind of like making the mission "Your bike with a real snowman." I don't assign missions like that because I know that people in the south (US) literally have a snowball's chance in hell... So I'm just asking that people consider the location of ALL Bike Pic Mission players in the future when they assign their mission. Thanks.

Dan
Here! Here! I don’t even have azaleas that I can take pictures of even if they were to bloom in June here. Too high and too cold. For illustration, it snowed here Sunday.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-31-20, 02:54 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
As far as I know, around here azaleas are kept only as an indoor plant.
Old 03-31-20, 09:37 AM
bpcyclist

Well, sorry, guys!!!!
Old 03-31-20, 09:41 AM
bpcyclist

Actually, maybe some one else should come up with this mission.
Old 03-31-20, 09:56 AM
3S1M

I thought it was a cool mission, no need to be sorry, IMHO. How about you just OK Deal4Fuji's post and let him win that one and pick a new mission. Since the natives are uprising. LOL. His pic is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I don't want to get anybody in an uproar and I totally get why people said what they said. I personally kind of like the missions that might be specific to a region because I see things I won't where I live. And from what I can tell they have always got fulfilled.

But we're all part of the game and everyone's input counts.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-31-20, 08:42 PM
bpcyclist

[QUOTE=Deal4Fuji;21391694]
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Ah--okay, great. New mission is the bike with any variety of deciduous azalea currently in bloom. If you are not familiar with these, just google it and you will see how they look different than the more common evergreen azaleas. They also tend to have much more interesting colors, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure these are the evergreen variety, but since they're right outside my door I'll post anyway while they're in peak bloom. I didn't know there was a large leaf variety....looking forward to seeing one here.

Okay. I am declaring this and you the winner. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next mission, then******************************???
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 04-01-20, 05:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Just for future reference, I don't think "I can't find this where I live" is a legitimate objection to a mission. That's just going to make the hunt a race to post pictures of common things. Boring. It's ok to sit out a mission if it doesn't work in your region.

I'll remind everyone of the usefulness of the Mr. Bill rules when a mission turns out to be a stumper. Generally, I think 48-72 hours were the periods of time before those clicked in.

​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-01-20, 06:40 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
[QUOTE=bpcyclist;21394468]
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji

Okay. I am declaring this and you the winner. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next mission, then******************************???
Thanks bp

Next Mission: Your bike with a 2 piece swinging gate that blocks a road or pathway

Likes For Deal4Fuji:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.