Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Too old to BMX

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Too old to BMX

Old 03-21-20, 09:04 PM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
I keep working on fakies but my success rate is really low. After trying a bunch of footjam fakies the other night I rode away once. I do think it was actually longer than that one in the video though. So that's progress. I feel like I have pretty good balance but the biggest obstacle about fakies for me is I end up leaned one way or the other and can't adjust and have to put my foot down. I gotta learn how to adjust when I'm just a tad bit leaned one way or the other.
I had the same problem for yrs; I found out that not necessarily we come out with a 'real clean backward riding' from a fakie, we need to be able to hop n pull while in backward motion to get out of that sometimes, as in that smallish trick we did when we were kids, hopping on both wheels left n right to balance while static. Just apply that while you are moving n cycling backward, it will come out naturally very soon.

​​​​​​Can you ride backward while seated on the handlebar? I used to think that is a vey lame small trick just because I did that when I was only 13. Apparently, if you are able to balance yourself riding like that, it's much easier to learn some of the other basic tricks; in my case it helps with the basic flatland stuff.

I think modern branded tires are just awesome; the look, weight, how they grip n roll... I really like the look on that Animal X T1, the Ody Chase Hawk, and theres one from Eclat that is really sick. Ahhh need a new frame to fit in those.... maybe one day
Old 03-21-20, 09:52 PM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Hey I feel that I need to share these, just some injury moments that maybe we all can avoid.

Once on a slippery ramp I landed seated on the rear tire and got my crotch between the tires n seat. It doesn't hurt much, kept on riding for a good 2-3 hrs. At home I discovered that 90% of my bladder was totally black, I must have knock that part real good. Naturally that went away, could have been worse tho. So I bought that nut protecter that hockey keepers wears and put those on! Oh, had another 3 child after that, in case you are wondering

While doing flatland stuff last yr I had a few soft knocks on my tibia against the handlebar, stem n frame. Actually the tibia got worked really good, it took over 2 mths for the swelling to go away proper. Wished I had avoid that, the time it consumes to recover feels just like forever these days. And the paper loss on riding times!

Pls be more wary on injury prevention; a helmet, knee n shin even elbow protector. I had elbow n shoulder pain for over 2 yrs, wrist pains for more or less the same duration, all these could've been avoided had I commit myself to the simple safety gears.
​​
Old 03-22-20, 08:33 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I always wear a helmet. And I'm starting to wear knee pads more. I just got them like 2 weeks ago. So I'm getting used to them now. I don't have elbow pads but I might get some eventually. I fell the other night and wracked my elbow on the blacktop. It's fine but a reminder.

Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I'm pretty fond of it at this point. The more I ride it the more I like it. And I'm tweaking it here and there to my liking. I was not overly fond of the color but it was the right deal and I didn't want to be hung up about the color. But I ordered a seat from Amazon that the picture shows it having each of those colors in it. The grips and the pedals. I'll be stoked if what they send me is actually what is pictured. Cuz it's a cool looking seat and will really tie it together I think. And change the look of the bike. Just making it mine.

I am riding every day though. I live in a rural area and we're not stuck inside. People walk their dogs and such. Nobody is getting close to anyone except in their own families.

Yesterday I went over to the parking lot at the park across the street from me. It is a lot better than my driveway and road.

I worked on manuals and I'm getting there. Still hard to ride one for a long distance. They got a wood fence type thing in front of some of the parking lots (see pic) that I can practice doing fakies on. And then I got closer than ever at landing a footjam tailwhip. I got my forward foot back on the top tube one time. That's as close as I've gotten and that was very exciting for me. LOL.

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-23-20, 07:47 AM
acir71

Awesome choice! It has all the colours fr the bike
Old 03-23-20, 09:26 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I know hey? I feel like it was a total fluke or a miracle that I found that color scheme. I'm just hoping it's not one of those instances where it comes and it's not what was pictured.... I mean that happens. It such a distinct color scheme you would think they wouldn't have that pic up if it wasn't that though. Hopefully. LOL.
Old 03-23-20, 04:38 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
I know hey? I feel like it was a total fluke or a miracle that I found that color scheme. I'm just hoping it's not one of those instances where it comes and it's not what was pictured.... I mean that happens. It such a distinct color scheme you would think they wouldn't have that pic up if it wasn't that though. Hopefully. LOL.
Dude - I was browsing through, and thought your picture was me! Enjoy. And I've just started BMX racing in the past year, not really doing much freestyle, but I honestly think for what you're doing the 2.4 are as good or better, and definitely a decent 2.4 is going to be better than a cheaper, thinner tire.
Old 03-24-20, 09:02 AM
3S1M

My brother from another mother? LOL. Are you partly Irish or English? That's my main heritage. Rea is my last name. Clark is Mother's maiden name. Both are old English names. Dad's side has a lot of Irish. McDowell is his Mom's Maiden name. So... Most of my heritage comes from the UK. BUT, strangely enough, my Grandpa on my Dad's side, obviously where the Rea comes from, his Mom was half Hawaiian. Go figure. LOL. So I have a bit of "Polynesian" in me. Throw in a bit of German from my Mom's side (boooooo) and there is a story of an African American somewhere back on on my Dad's side too. LOL. My Dad used to say we're Heinz 57. A bit of everything. But really from what I gather I'm mainly English/Irish.

I don't think Ottowa is where a lot of French are in Canada, eh? Meaning maybe you're not French?

Yeah, the 2.4's feel good. And after riding them I'm not sure I need any tread down the middle for what I do. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I will change them eventually, hopefully I'll ride enough to wear them down. LOL.

Can we get a pic of your race bike**********??
Old 04-02-20, 11:18 AM
3S1M

@acir71, I think I'm gonna start learning how to do some flatland tricks. I got a pony up for some pegs soon. I wanna get skinnier tires too. Do you find that you miss brakes? I see some flatlanders seem to be doing it without brakes but it seems like traditionally speaking they put brakes on.

What model maxxis are your tires? The smooth tread doesn't look familiar to me. Usually the ones I see (Grifters) have more tread.
Old 04-09-20, 08:35 AM
acir71

@acir71, I think I'm gonna start learning how to do some flatland tricks. I got a pony up for some pegs soon. I wanna get skinnier tires too. Do you find that you miss brakes? I see some flatlanders seem to be doing it without brakes but it seems like traditionally speaking they put brakes on.

What model maxxis are your tires? The smooth tread doesn't look familiar to me. Usually the ones I see (Grifters) have more tread.
​​​​​I run brakes on my flatland bike; some tricks are more approachable with em. My park bike? No don't really miss em, guess it became natural after those yrs. I think my flat bike has 1.85 tires, std issue. Got the bike cheap fr a junk store, nothing chromo, Japanese made beginner's bike, heavy steel.
Those are Maxxis Miracle, when I got em I thought bikes look cool in skinnies, but a park session or two later and I'm back on my 2.1 Shadow & Ody Path. They are good tires, but old man needs more grip to stay on the bike!
Hey you might wanna chk this vid; I think between 4:40 to 6:45 are good basic tricks. Keep it fun!

​​​​
​​​​​​
Likes For acir71:
Old 04-09-20, 11:37 AM
3S1M

Well, I bought some new tires yesterday. I bought them locally and not sure if I chose super wisely but we'll see how they work out after riding a while. I didn't want to order any, despite that I know some places are still shipping. I ordered a seat from Amazon about 3 weeks ago, through some place called BikeSomeWhere and it hasn't moved. Not sure what's going on. I can't get through to talk with anyone and no one is responding to my inquiries. Well Amazon has but nobody from the seller has.

So I went to my local bike shop. They had a few different choices. Odyssey Aitken 2.25, which have a more aggressive tread than I wanted. The 2.4 street sweepers which I didn't want. Then it had some Kenda Couples 2.25 and Kenda Admrials 2.1. I didn't want to go TOO small, but I was thinking if I went 2.25 I wouldn't notice that much of a difference from the 2.4's I have on currently. But what's funny is once I installed them I measured the with a micrometer and they are only 2.0 wide. LOL. I was hoping they would at least be 2.1 or a hair bigger. My friend has some Maxxis Grifters 2.1 and he said they measure more like 2.18. So anyways... my tires are pretty small. It was probably more like buying 1.95's.

I do think I like them, but I'm not sure how footjams are gonna go. I rode last night but it had rained during the day and the pavement will still kind of wet. And whenever my tires get wet I can't do footjams. My feet just slip. But I'm not sure how much the fork is gonna gobble my foot up. LOL.

I probably should've ponied up the extra dough and ordered maxxis grifters 2.1. But I'll just have to live with these for new. They're definitely a bunch lighter than the other tires and I think I like them better in other aspects. I just was hoping to be more in line with 2.1-2.2 size. But for all I know these will be perfect. I do think the lighter weight might help with hops. But then I'm going to stick more weight back on with some pegs. I bought 2 Cult Butter pegs at the store and they're not necessarily super light. 4.9 ounces each. They felt light at the store. LOL. Eventually I'll get 2 more really light ones. Probably keep the Cult on the front and put some light ones on the back. I have two steel ones but they're 6 ounces each. And I'd rather find something lighter. I know there are many out there that are not overly heavy. If I get my money back from my seat I might use that money to buy two more super light pegs.

I think the smaller tires look better.....

Before and after:

Old 04-09-20, 05:49 PM
acir71

Yeah they're kinda small, but kinda sick too! Nvr mind the wet conditions, we're not suppose to ride in those lol. Thing about new parts, they keep us stoked abt riding. Have fun man, and stay safe.
Hey if you're considering having brakes, chk out the one fr Fly, they hv some sort of a dial to make life easier when it comes to the alignment part, saw that in Ruben's T1 bike chk vid. I only hv basic Tektro on mine, they function great, but quite a pain to set up properly, to get that good clearance on.
Unfortunate on the seat deal, logistics issue maybe? I guess some places hv been hit really bad.
I live right in the capital, haven't been riding for quite a while!
Stay cool, have fun n stay safe dude!
Old 04-13-20, 12:05 PM
3S1M

I got my money back on the seat. They didn't say why they weren't shipping. It was weird they created a label and everything. Oh well. At least I got my money back. I'm debating whether I want to put that money into some flatland pegs for the rear of my bike or try to order that seat from another place. There's one in stock at GT through amazon.... I love the looks of it. LOL.

That really stinks you can't ride. I will be praying for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has to be hard.

I'm not really wanting brakes. I'm gonna go as long as I can without brakes. I might someday add them but I like the simplicity of not having them. But I know they can help with some tricks. Thanks for the video!!! I'll watch it soon!

And thanks for the compliment on how the new ones look. I do think they LOOK a lot better too. LOL.

Stay safe man. You got any new gear coming or no?
Old 04-16-20, 08:31 AM
acir71

Good for you! Honestly, I'd go for the seat first. Seems like there's not many of its kind, better grab that before its gone. I've been there before haha. I'd really wanted the Superstar Edge9 stem fr mid to late 2000; finally found one in China's taobao web, but seller simply state it is not for sale outside of China. You'll be surprised how the frustration can get the best of us old dudes!! Besides, new parts keep the fire burning strong yeah?!

Actually I do have some new parts waiting to be fitted, I am just a part or two away from a completely new flat setup, haven't made up my mind whats it gonna be yet. I live in a small apartment, that may take some space, and the nagging fr my other half! Why would you need 5 bikes? No no these does not look cheap to me!? LOL

Bless you man, good that you are far fr NY, the figure is worrying. Hey are there skate parks near you? Or maybe you shld build your own mobile small ramp, to up the ante a bit! I'm contemplating that as well, ohh storage issue again hahaha. Keep shreddin'!!
Old 04-16-20, 11:32 AM
3S1M

Thankfully the skatepark nearest me is still open. I'm planning on going tomorrow. I wasn't sure but I drove by on Tuesday. I'm meeting up with a fellow bmxer and we will keep our "social distancing" but ride together. He's gonna show me some stuff. He's good and is old like me but been riding forever. So he knows a lot.

I put 4 pegs on and started down the road of learning flatland tricks. I like it. But it's hard. We will see if I can master anything or not... LOL. Ugh. On vital bmx one guy posted a video that goes through a BUNCH of tricks, starting with the easiest ones first. And one of the ones he showed was doing barpsins from standing on the rear pegs. So I was like oh that shouldn't be too hard. I can do barspins now. But daaaaaaaaang, that is no joke. It's way harder. Plus it feels really wonky. You're so bent over. From what I can tell, the first flatland trick to master is the fork glide so I'm gonna start focusing on that. I did a spin yesterday to get into it but the harder part is actually balancing on the wheel. I gotta work on that. I'll post a video.... :

video of me spinning on front tire to get into a fork glide

https://imgur.com/CZvN8IL

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 04-17-20, 08:47 AM
acir71

Dude! You are almost there! Practice the back roll separately, push backwards & you'll get the balance point very2 quickly. Start by holding the seat with your right hand & your left on the bar as in your vid, remember the photo I shared? Something like that, but both wheels on the ground. Don't go too slow coz it's way harder.

After that, try the same thing with both hands on the bar. When you got these, just link them with what you already did in the vid. I see that you are already kicking the wheel to roll, things will get together very soon!

Yes, finding your balance in the fork glide can be painful, key is your rolling speed; too slow just won't cut it, too fast and you hv tendency to fall backwards or end up lifting your bike's tail. When you turn, use your kick foot to help rotate & balance yourself on the peg. Like a ballet dancer? When they doing their ridiculous spins? Your axis is the steerer tube yeah?! Have fun!!

​​​
Old 04-17-20, 09:06 AM
acir71

Oh man I feel like we hijacked the thread! Are we?
Old 04-17-20, 10:49 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by acir71
Oh man I feel like we hijacked the thread! Are we?
I don't think you guys hijacked the thread, as it's more about keeping the forum going.
Old 04-17-20, 12:10 PM
3S1M

Well I worked a little bit on the fork glide yesterday but did better the day before. I was trying to work more on the balancing on the front wheel part.... I did try a few of the spin parts but didn't do as well. I did however work a bunch on my tailwhips and FINALLY got my feet over the bike. I've been working on that forever and that was the first time. I only did it once and my feet hit the ground but I was freaking excited. I also biffed real bad doing pull up bars 360 and I think I gotta get some elbow pads. my right elbow is taking a beating. LOL. I had a real bad spill a couple of weeks ago doing a manual and fell right on my right elbow. It didn't completely heal and I just pounded it yesterday again. It's pretty swollen. LOL.

I wear knee pads but it's funny cuz ever since I started wearing knee pads I never wrack my knees. LOL. But at least they're there.

I'm pretty excited about getting all the way over on a tail whip and I hope I can figure out how to land it well sooner than later. It took me probably over a month to get to that point yesterday. But my session are short. The upside is I ride every day. unless it's wet. It snowed this morning but I think the pavement is already drying out. So I might get to try more tailwhips today. but I will also try the seat grab and try to get the right speed. Cuz yeah, going real slow I was getting nowhere with it. I was trying to learn to just balance on the tire but it's haaaaaaaard.

Thanks for the tips!!!! I don't know why my video is so grainy. Lately when I send from my phone it does that and I don't know why. It didn't used to. LOL. Ugh. Technology, I don't get it.
Old 04-19-20, 07:44 AM
acir71

Originally Posted by tds101
I don't think you guys hijacked the thread, as it's more about keeping the forum going.
Thanks! A big relief to know that... I was afraid it got a bit out of tune
Old 04-19-20, 03:32 PM
urban_cyclist

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Old guy here. Not a bmx rider, but ride a 20" bmx as my urban assault machine.
The bike feels like it's bulletproof! I don't worry about bending the rims if I ride off a curb, which is nice.
Likes For urban_cyclist:
Old 04-20-20, 10:09 AM
3S1M

yeah. the good ones are made pretty beefy. And even some of the cheap ones. My cheap Kent Fantasy has those 48 spoke rims that even though single walled seem like they're pretty tough from all the spokes.
Old 04-21-20, 02:44 PM
Voltan

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride forever man
Likes For Voltan:
Old 04-21-20, 11:27 PM
acir71

(pardon me it was my fat rhumb)

Last edited by acir71; 04-21-20 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 11:42 PM
acir71

Originally Posted by urban_cyclist
Old guy here. Not a bmx rider, but ride a 20" bmx as my urban assault machine.
The bike feels like it's bulletproof! I don't worry about bending the rims if I ride off a curb, which is nice.
Hey man, take a look at Terry Barentsen's '4K- Chasing everyone' vid on Youtube.. the first 2 and half mins is a very dope urban attack on bmx... got me real stoked! Not the usual mind blowing professional bmx trick thing, just something us older everyday rider can relate to. I think I'll be very happy just to be able to ride like that until 60! Put some pads on & Stay safe!
Old 04-23-20, 09:35 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.