Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydration Backpacks for Roadies?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hydration Backpacks for Roadies?

Old 08-10-20, 10:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Many good points!

And now I'm wondering... Who says the bottle one sticks in one's jersey pocket has to actually be an uncomfortable bottle? Perhaps a different shaped container or even a bag might be better...

I have the blue one. Never loved it.
Old 08-10-20, 11:42 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I have always used a camel back when riding. I find it more comfortable having a light pack on my back then using bottles. No reaching for bottles! This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Hydr.../dp/B01MT1O9X2

I did put a larger bladder in though cuz 50n ounces wasn't enough.
Old 08-10-20, 12:19 PM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
i just got a Osprey Kitari 1.5 litre. I found it the perfect size and weight for road cycling. it adds the equivalent of 2 bottles to your ride.

https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product...OINT5_119.html
Old 08-10-20, 01:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It's your choice but I would not like riding with a camelbak/backpack.

I ride on familiar roads and have scoped out water sources (gas stations or state parks often have a spigot or faucet that is open to the public) so I can stop every 20-30 miles for a quick fill-up.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-10-20, 06:51 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
you can add another bottle cage under downtube, you can also get a aftermarket fork with mounts where you can attach up to 4 extra bottles
Old 08-10-20, 10:41 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Yeah, I'm considering the Tacx Cage Mount which is only $20 (Plus the cost of two more bottles and cages).
I've used an Elite Skekane which, depending on the shape of your saddle rails, may or may not be a pain to install. But on the upside, it has enough space to still fit a small saddle bag (if necessary) and a rear light (with the right mount).
Old 08-11-20, 05:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
I tour with a Camelbak Hydrobak. 50 Oz. It’s small compared to many packs. Has one medium size zippered pocket.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0...34a09a0dc04930
Old 08-11-20, 04:27 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
I've had this same thought, in wanting to extend my rides out and not wanting to use our regular water sources during COVID. I had one 24 oz and one 21 oz bottle. Now I've picked up another 24. I also carry one of those flex bottles that holds about half a liter and goes into the back pocket. I use it first and then squish it down. So over 50 oz of water should take me into the range I want.
Old 08-11-20, 07:12 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
The Camelbak Chase vests were specifically designed for cycling and are pretty minimalist:

https://www.camelbak.com/en/vests/bike
Likes For blazin:
Old 08-11-20, 07:22 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I have a Nathan pack similar to this:

https://www.nathansports.com/collect...ation-backpack

It is not as bulky as it looks on the site. Mine hold 70 oz. in the bladder and is small enough to use for trail running I don't really notice it. I have used it on road rides before and it works great for that as well.
Old 08-12-20, 05:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I always use a backpack for MTB, but find it a drag on the road.

Many companies offer water bottle cage mounts that can strap/clamp to a downtube or seat post. I’ve had good luck with these.

I also used one of those double cage things that mounts under the saddle, but was not crazy about it.

Personally, I’d rather just carry some extra water than have to plan my ride around water stops.
Old 08-12-20, 09:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been using a 2-liter Camelbak for ~25 years, not the same one though. It's the simplest one, no pockets, no gadgets, just a cloth sack with bladder and straps. It's great, love it. I mostly use bottles, but the bladder is wonderful for long rides, gives me a 4 liter capacity on a regular 2 cage frame.
Old 08-12-20, 10:53 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Used handlebar bags to store extra bottles... didn't like it. Took away handlebar space.
Didn't bother with waist hydration belt. Sweat drips to your lower back so it gets mushy there.
Tried mountain bike hydration pack, overkill and too much storage. Still use the pack for mountain biking though, it (Osprey Raptor 15) doesn't work very well for hunched over position on a road bike.

The closest I found that works is running hydration vest with minimal storage (5 to 10 liters), and put a 2L hydration bladder in the back and wear it like a vest.

I have this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026101954.html Very flexible fabric. It has front flex bottle pockets to put 2 500mL flex bottles to extent the water capacity to 3L. You'll need to supply your own 2L bladder.
Old 08-13-20, 05:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I’ve had great luck using these to mount extra cages to a downtube (steel bike so it was narrow), seat post, and a handlebar,

https://www.amazon.com/Minoura-WBTC9.../dp/B003L9BEBQ
Old 08-13-20, 06:13 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Cue
Didn't bother with waist hydration belt. Sweat drips to your lower back so it gets mushy there.
LOL! First there was "trench foot", then there was "mushy back"
Originally Posted by Cue
Tried mountain bike hydration pack, overkill and too much storage.
Yeah, that's what I meant in my original post in that I'm not looking for a backpack that will have enough storage to climb Mount Everest. Granted, if one is wearing a backpack, that kind of renders one's jersey pockets useless so maybe some kind of storage pocket would be useful, like to hold a pump?

I knew that if I searched long enough, I'd eventually find the version of the Camelbak that was roadie specific that I knew existed once... but apparently was so unpopular that it no longer exists :-(
https://bikerumor.com/2012/05/10/rev...ted-reservoir/

Camelbak’s marketing guy, Seth, is the first to admit this product’s not one of their top sellers, but the more time I’ve spent with it, the more I like it. On quick trips, it saves precious packing space versus a full pack while still giving me plenty to drink on those rides (more than what you’d get by relying on two full bottles!). And in big group rides or fast paced bunches, it’s easier and arguably safer to throw the hose in your mouth and get your hands back on the bar quickly than fiddle with bottles.

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 08-13-20 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:58 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
About 20 years ago, I built a camelback like system that fit around my waist. When filled with water, it made me look really fat but helped to keep me cool and was almost hidden from view. I found that when wearing that, I could enter the clydesdale class in MTB races and no one would bat an eye. As I would race and drink, I would get lighter and lighter and by the end, I was my normal 180lb finishing the race.

I unfortunately never won this way. I had to stop and pee way too many times. But it sure was fun.

And yes, this is a joke.

But in reality, I also have an old camelback - the very first kind - that is nothing but a black sleeve that I fill and use for longer road rides (>90 miles). Works well and honestly, does not cause much of an issue.
Old 08-13-20, 07:24 AM
PoorInRichfield

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Camelbak-like device for when I'm riding gravel or just bumpy roads. Having a water backpack as a water bottle replacement (instead of just additional water) would eliminate the issue of launching water bottles when riding on bumpy roads (something that has happened to me on occasion.)
Old 08-13-20, 08:35 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Yeah, that's what I meant in my original post in that I'm not looking for a backpack that will have enough storage to climb Mount Everest. Granted, if one is wearing a backpack, that kind of renders one's jersey pockets useless so maybe some kind of storage pocket would be useful, like to hold a pump?

I knew that if I searched long enough, I'd eventually find the version of the Camelbak that was roadie specific that I knew existed once... but apparently was so unpopular that it no longer exists :-(

In all fairness, this failed for a reason. People are looking for hydration packs. i don't think anybody wants to buy a specific base layer so that it's integrated. Camelbak is already pretty expensive, imagine a product that includes a base layer and is marketed to roadies? it'd probably be $400
Old 08-13-20, 09:16 AM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Running vests are much better implementation of that baselayer reservoir. Running vests are short enough and high enough on your torso so that you still have access to your rear pockets.
Old 08-13-20, 09:23 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by Cowboy905
In all fairness, this failed for a reason.
Yup.. understood. That and roadies are on average a very traditional and peculiar bunch that don't like change. Wearing a backpack instead of carrying two water bottles is change. We don't like change.
Originally Posted by Cue
Running vests are much better implementation of that baselayer reservoir. Running vests are short enough and high enough on your torso so that you still have access to your rear pockets.
I think you're right. One big limitation I see to the Camelbak Racebak is that my jersey's don't like have enough extra room in the chest area to accommodate the hump. I have a feeling like the jersey would fit uber-tight in the chest area when the bag is full. However, I do like the idea that the bag is integrated into the base layer so that there aren't any straps. I have 2 CamelBaks for summer and winter hiking and find the straps uncomfortable and annoying.
Old 08-13-20, 10:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Yup.. understood. That and roadies are on average a very traditional and peculiar bunch that don't like change.
Truth^^^^
Old 08-13-20, 10:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Yup.. understood. That and roadies are on average a very traditional and peculiar bunch that don't like change. Wearing a backpack instead of carrying two water bottles is change. We don't like change.
It's not a matter of not liking change - it's a matter of it being a solution to something that's rarely a problem. We're not talking about traversing the Mojave Wasteland - we're talking about rural WI, which is not much different from the rural MN roads that I ride week and and week out. Finding someplace for water and a snack once every 30-40 miles is easy peasy.
Old 08-13-20, 11:07 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's not a matter of not liking change - it's a matter of it being a solution to something that's rarely a problem.
Note I didn't state that every road cyclist doesn't like change, but I've been around the block a few times and it's pretty clear that stereotypically speaking, roadies resist change. Don't believe me? Do a search for "steal vs carbon" or "caliper vs disc brakes" if you want to read hours of pointless arguing."Eddy Merckx didn't need no stinkin' backpack, clipless pedals, or fancy plastic bike... neither do I!" hehehe...

Yes, for most of my rides, simple water bottles do the trick. I'm just probably over-analyzing a way to carry more water on a ride and am likely to be the 1 person that would try something like a Camelback Racebak... and like it.
Old 08-13-20, 11:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Wow. I just went and looked at Camelbak's offerings. They have gone nutso. It's all image and silliness. IMO. Here's what you want, something practical, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088PJVM4K...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Nothing extra, just the water please. Only thing: for sure I'd cut off that stupid valve and put on the 90° Camelbak Ergo Hydrolock and Big Bite valve. This is way better than the Raceback IMO.
Old 08-13-20, 11:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Note I didn't state that every road cyclist doesn't like change, but I've been around the block a few times and it's pretty clear that stereotypically speaking, roadies resist change. Don't believe me? Do a search for "steal vs carbon" or "caliper vs disc brakes" if you want to read hours of pointless arguing."Eddy Merckx didn't need no stinkin' backpack, clipless pedals, or fancy plastic bike... neither do I!" hehehe...
I'm talking about *this* market segment. Yes, I know that many road cyclists are stuck with whatever gear was around in their formative years, but when it comes to hydration packs, there's a reason that they're more popular with MTB and gravel as opposed to road cyclists - road cyclists aren't typically off in the middle of the wilderness, or on a singletrack up the side of the mountain... they're on roads. Roads that leads to and from pockets of civilization. If you rides take you far afield, cool, do what you've gotta do. But for most, it's a solution looking for a problem.

I'm just probably over-analyzing a way to carry more water on a ride
Probably.

...and am likely to be the 1 person that would try something like a Camelback Racebak... and like it.
If you want an affectation to signal that you're not a "stereotypical roadie" go for it, but it's more expensive, more cumbersome and more uncomfortable than necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.