Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 08-05-20, 10:31 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
[QUOTE=N2motorsports;21626042]Did my first centuary after about 6 months of riding. Was actually pretty easy since the route was relatively flat. Started in Anaheim to corona then doubled back towards Huntington beach, lots of protesters that day, then onto long beach to pose with the queen as in the queen mary. Headed back down to balboa which was a terrible idea with the nonexistent bike lanes, in fact a car hit one of our buddy and just casually took of with a huge dent in his hood. Friend was fine, 260lbs absorbed impact like nothing, car had it worst. Finished in Anaheim, a grand total of 110 miles. Will try for Anaheim to San Diego in 2 weeks. Just a bit concerned about potentially having to ride the freeway...yikes![/QUOTE]

nice! well done!

you may be happier taking either the amtrak or metrolink from orange county (if that's where you're based) to oceanside, then riding south to dtown san diego along the coast and back, then taking the train
from oceanside back to orange county. it's about 90 miles rt riding but you can do a "side trip" or two if you want to stretch it into a century. do not recommend riding the 5 fwy north or south
(having done both multiple times) unless absolutely necessary. with camp pendleton on lockdown, it's just better to bypass that area altogether. you're not missing much by doing so.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-05-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 05:59 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Took a loopy spin from home up to GMR. Takes me 32 miles to get to the south base of GMR. More of a challenge for me with some miles on my legs. Oh well, 80 miles and 6.7K ft of climb on a glorious day in the low 80's. Aiming to do a loop century from home up to Mt Baldy Village in the near future.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33675455
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-06-20, 08:28 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

34-miler taking in the east grade road (sd county hwy s7) of palomar mountain from lake henshaw up to the s6 (south grade)/s7 junction by mothers and the post office.
mothers was closed (looked like they are closed on weekdays...maybe open on weekends?). continued up/down state park road to the west of the intersection for a
handful of miles to palomar mountain state park. it was open and stopped to refill the water bottle at the picnic area just past the entrance station before continuing on
and doing the boucher hill loop road within the park. headed back same way to the start at lake henshaw. nice day up there with the drop in temps from the last few scorching weeks.
started off a little warm on the east grade climb (see what happens when you start at 1:45pm?!) but just past mile 3 (where the road turned west), the 8-10mph breeze forecasted
began to make itself known and was consistent up the entire climb. one of the few times a headwind has been a welcome relief. low traffic and only saw two other cyclists.
pavement quality on east grade rd. excellent...a 9-9.5/10. the 3-4 miles of state park rd. was a little beat up in sections. within the pm state park itself, road quality about an 8.5/10.
boucher hill loop repaved recently and was really nice. first big hc-styled climb/descent for the recently built-up '88 nishiki olympic steel. didn't set any top personal bests but it did well.

east grade palomar mountain is one of my fave socal climbs and it did not disappoint today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3875819473

Last edited by diphthong; 08-06-20 at 11:35 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-08-20, 07:41 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Rode a tiny bit of the chip seal on Baldy Road, still a bit loose and didn't really inspire confidence until I got to the asphalt-concrete surface by the turnoff to GMR. Probably another few weeks of being beaten down by cars should make it decent.
Old 08-09-20, 09:07 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Rode some hills in the now more famous city of Corona, keeping good separation since very few others riding Skyline, Foothill and Upper roads. Hot topped out at 88, with a dry wind. Great workout and I rode till my two water bottles were depleted after three hours.
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-10-20, 08:48 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Nice Sunday roll down the SD beaches from Oceanside to Del Mar on way to visit my daughter in Escondido.
Love riding along this beautiful coastline area and dont even mind the stops in the beach cities like Solana where it makes it even harder to not stop at places like Pizza Port Brewing Company. Way more enjoyable than taking the old hwy 395 south of Temecula down to Escondido.
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-10-20, 02:24 PM
N2motorsports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Started where miramar road becomes pomerado and stayed on it pass rancho Bernardo then rode a short bike path up to w. via rancho parkway. Turned onto the del dios highway. Beautiful views of lake Hodges btw. Continued west into rancho santa fe with some nice twisties and rollers, boy I feel poor there, then emerged onto highway 1 in solana beach. Ride was cut short at torrey pines climb as my chain broke and sent the rear derailleur into my spokes which tore off the carbon fiber derailleur cage. Atleast I didnt have to do the torrey climb, after 4k of elevation on the day. Saw a good handful of other riders on del dios, I feel there are probably a lot of good route around there as well. Qill explore when replacement parts arrive.
Likes For N2motorsports:
Old 08-10-20, 11:39 PM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by N2motorsports
Started where miramar road becomes pomerado and stayed on it pass rancho Bernardo then rode a short bike path up to w. via rancho parkway. Turned onto the del dios highway. Beautiful views of lake Hodges btw. Continued west into rancho santa fe with some nice twisties and rollers, boy I feel poor there, then emerged onto highway 1 in solana beach. Ride was cut short at torrey pines climb as my chain broke and sent the rear derailleur into my spokes which tore off the carbon fiber derailleur cage. Atleast I didnt have to do the torrey climb, after 4k of elevation on the day. Saw a good handful of other riders on del dios, I feel there are probably a lot of good route around there as well. Qill explore when replacement parts arrive.
Sorry about the bike injury! I think TP outside is a really gorgeous climb. I love those internal canyons.

Near Del Dios, try Harmony Grove to/from Elfin Forest. I think its prettier than Del Dios, and without the gale force winds.
Old 08-11-20, 12:40 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by btppberk
Sorry about the bike injury! I think TP outside is a really gorgeous climb. I love those internal canyons.

Near Del Dios, try Harmony Grove to/from Elfin Forest. I think its prettier than Del Dios, and without the gale force winds.
harmony grove is nice and a bit more intimate. the eastern end (near escondido) may still be closed. last time i was up there,
i seem to remember the closure sign running until september. there is a fairly simple workaround through the newer, planned
community whether you're headed east to west or vice versa. i would map it out in advance tho, since it involves 3-4 turns.
Old 08-11-20, 03:21 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Parking lot skills ride on my MTB and then found a few single tracks to explore on the AC bike path and Wood Canyon, something to do on a warm Tuesday morning.
Old 08-11-20, 04:20 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Rambled through my part of the Conejo Valley; Westlake Lake, Oak Park, North Ranch. Basically let my route be determined by whether a stoplight was green or red! Guess I didn't really feel like riding anyhow!

I'm also doing this challenge: https://runsignup.com/Race/CA/Anywhere/TahoetoMalibu so I have some motivation. It's kinda fun.
Old 08-13-20, 06:50 PM
diphthong

34 coastal miles (again) from del mar to carlsbad and back. late start necessitated the coast because it wasn't even slightly coolish while moving at speed on the bike
in the usual, slightly inland metro san diego area. started off in no rush but legs felt good after a few miles so turned it up a litle bit. excitement of the day was getting buzzed
by a gardening ford truck w/an attached trailer full of branches/cuttings/etc along the 101/pch in carlsbad. so close the leaves brushed against my left arm and the
hub/wheelwell/tire of the trailer was about 3 inches from my left elbow/left handlebar. nothing quite like catching up at the next light and giving the applicable jerk a
well-deserved staredown. dude had plenty of room to his left and gave a little, weak honk (so i know he "saw" me) but choose to be a jerk. may your vehicle be
repoed.
Old 08-13-20, 07:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

^^^^^ Kind of par for the course in SoCal? Glad it was nothing more. Drivers who intentionally create close passes are sadistic. I ponder that some of the hit and runs were flat out intentional.
https://bikinginla.com/category/bicy...nd-fatalities/
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-13-20, 08:23 PM
diphthong

last half year has been...interesting. today....and had a within two inches pass by a white mercedes in palos verdes while riding with another forum dweller
about two months ago...and then got clobbered from behind by a tesla suv just after christmas last year that involved an er visit + super-fun insurance
negotiations and the death of my favorite all-time frame. always try to reexamine those "bad" interactions to see if there is something i could have done differently.
occasionally-yes or partially yes but most of the time-no. totally no. have historically found freeway onramps/offramps the worst interaction zones.

always peruse the bikinginla.com website. sent him a little donation a while ago as a thank you for all the info tidbits he comes up with for socal and beyond.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-14-20, 08:01 AM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^ +1 on the freeway access points. I find too many fatalities nationwide in these conditions. Sometimes they are difficult to avoid without going several miles out of your way. Case in point being SART. If I access from North OC, I have to add an additional 5-7 miles to ingress from Yorba Regional Park for a beach loop rather than entering SART on Tustin Ave across the 91 Freeway.

Sorry to hear of your accident and loss. I was sideswiped by a woman driving a Camry on Brea Canyon Rd about two years ago. Only a bruise on my hip but it could have been another fatality if she was over another six inches. She was likely on her cell phone as I was highly visible with a flashing taillight and Hi Vis jersey. She swerved at the last moment and crossed into the opposite lane skidding to a stop.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-14-20, 07:13 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Today I rode from Oceanside harbor to Leucadia Blvd. and back. It was pretty normal and uneventful until I got back to Pacific St about halfway between Wisconsin and Seagaze. I heard a loud horn right behind me. As I turned to see what was behind me a full size pickup buzzed right past me and hit my handlebar as he cut in front of me. I didn't go down but it was close. He looked like he was going to keep going and I yelled and he stopped. I rode up to him and the pass. window was down. I asked him what the he## was going on. He said that I needed to learn to share the road. I told him the other lane was open and there plenty of room to pass me safely. He replied that it was illegal to cross the double yellow to pass. I told him he was wrong but he was adamant that I was at fault. I called him ignorant and let him go. I don't think he ever knew that he hit me.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 08-14-20, 11:04 PM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
34 coastal miles (again) from del mar to carlsbad and back. late start necessitated the coast because it wasn't even slightly coolish while moving at speed on the bike
in the usual, slightly inland metro san diego area. started off in no rush but legs felt good after a few miles so turned it up a litle bit. excitement of the day was getting buzzed
by a gardening ford truck w/an attached trailer full of branches/cuttings/etc along the 101/pch in carlsbad. so close the leaves brushed against my left arm and the
hub/wheelwell/tire of the trailer was about 3 inches from my left elbow/left handlebar. nothing quite like catching up at the next light and giving the applicable jerk a
well-deserved staredown. dude had plenty of room to his left and gave a little, weak honk (so i know he "saw" me) but choose to be a jerk. may your vehicle be
repoed.
a stare down is all you gave him? what self-control!
Old 08-16-20, 09:11 AM
nesdog

Intended to do a 35 mile early jaunt on Saturday. Headed out at 7:30 to Hidden Valley with Dos Vientos as the turn around spot. Flatted in HV. Then the heat turned up! Opted to turn around at the end of HV and head for home. It was truly boiling. Got home, turned the garden hose on my head and noted the temps nearing 100. A few hours later it was 110 in the yard. 28 miles for the day.
Old 08-16-20, 11:38 AM
CAT7RDR

Headed out from home at 0500 to checkout my lighting system and beat the heat. Caught the sunrise in Turnbull Canyon but no deer today just a dead coyote that was not wily nor Wile E.

Looped back thru La Habra Heights and really started huffing going up Cypress and looked back on Skyline and saw a layer of brown over the OC/LB/South Bay. Reminds me of the 70-80's when your lungs ached from exercising in the smog. Still had a good workout before heat and smoke got the best of me. 47 miles and 5200 ft of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33796678
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-16-20, 08:14 PM
diphthong

left the haus at 11:55am (so much discipline). rode west and then northwest up the coast (contacting the coast at torrey pines state beach) to beat the heat
on the late side since i'm not an early bird. turned around at cannon rd. in carlsbad and headed back. upper 70's/low 80's the entire way.
pch/101/coast highway traffic not too bad for a sunday. mission bay area was a goateff-as usual-on a summer weekend. 76-spot powered by a glass
of naked blue machine juice, a large coke slurpee and a 12oz pepsi along with two water bottles. felt pretty okay despite being waay undernutritioned (word?)
and underhydrated. not all that many riders out by the time i could be bothered to kit up and leave the haus. 283 meh miles this week. i think i went hardish
a handful of times. need to push it more this coming week.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-16-20 at 08:18 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-18-20, 08:30 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
left the haus at 11:55am (so much discipline). rode west and then northwest up the coast (contacting the coast at torrey pines state beach) to beat the heat
on the late side since i'm not an early bird. turned around at cannon rd. in carlsbad and headed back. upper 70's/low 80's the entire way.
pch/101/coast highway traffic not too bad for a sunday. mission bay area was a goateff-as usual-on a summer weekend. 76-spot powered by a glass
of naked blue machine juice, a large coke slurpee and a 12oz pepsi along with two water bottles. felt pretty okay despite being waay undernutritioned (word?)
and underhydrated. not all that many riders out by the time i could be bothered to kit up and leave the haus. 283 meh miles this week. i think i went hardish
a handful of times. need to push it more this coming week.
Correct.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-21-20, 09:00 AM
CAT7RDR

The heat and smoke has really put a hitch into cycling in much of So Cal lately except for that coastal strand between Oceanside and Cabrillo. Looks rather enticing and I have not been down there to ride in a couple years.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-21-20, 02:19 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
Santiago Cyn Road NW to SE again this am. Beautiful morning felt a little cooler. Only saw 3 cyclists going other way & was passed by 1 midway. Liking it better on Fridays than the weekend. Little difference in vehicle traffic BIG difference in cycling traffic! This time turned up Glenn Ranch Rd to Portola. 72 1/2 miles & went thru 5 bottles (& a small OJ from the Chevron station at Jamboree) used #6 down the back!
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 08-22-20, 06:20 PM
nesdog

Hidden Valley, Dos Vientos loop and back via Westlake for 40 miles. A bubble developed in my rear Bontrager tire about five miles from home. Reduced the air pressure and nursed it to the house.
Second time I've had this issue with these tires. I have some new Conti 5000's waiting so going to put them on as the Bontis have over 3000 miles on them anyhow.

Of course, mounting new Contis is nearly impossible! After an hour of attempts, I've decided to take em to the LBS to finish that last bead!
Old 08-22-20, 09:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Tandem ride with the wife from Point Loma up to UCSD. Then back home via a coastal route through La Jolla.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.