Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Budget (but good?) Bib Shorts

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Budget (but good?) Bib Shorts

Old 09-24-20, 09:08 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I was trying for over a month a while back to buy size small BlackBib basic shorts but that size was constantly out of stock. I just wanted to try a pair to see what all the hub-bub was about not because I needed them, so was willing to wait. One day at about frustration week six I noticed PI Escape Quest Short on Amazon for $37 ea & free shipping so I got 2 pairs of those. I know that they are not premium PIs by any stretch of the imagination but for me they are fine. Five minutes after ordering the price went back to the normal $50 I have another pair of PI Escape shorts my daughter gave me as a gift. Those are a medium, the two new pairs are small. I wear them both, prefer the small but if they were any smaller I wouldn't be able to get them on. My waist is 31" weight 138 pounds.

canklecat speaks well about the Przewalski 3D short. I have 3 pairs size small of these in the rotation. I'm not a super critical user of bike shorts and I find little fault with these. They are my every day go-to shorts for indoor trainer use. Some of those shorts have seen a lot of saddle in the last year. I paid $19 for them a great buy in my opinion.
Old 09-24-20, 11:35 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
If you sign up to be on the mailing list for most of the big name companies, you'll be notified of their sales. As someone noted earlier, you can often find high quality bibs at 50% off or more. I tried a few Amazon pieces of kit when I started getting serious about riding about 4 years ago but once I got some good stuff, I could not go back. One thing that I really like is that most companies are very consistent year to year in what they offer and how it fits.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 09-24-20, 11:41 AM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I like Santic bibs from Amazon.
Old 09-24-20, 02:30 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Another vote for Black Bibs. I bought three pairs back in March/April. Two of the "plus" and one of the "ultimate", mostly just to see what the difference was (very little). They've all been great. Ran them through the washer many times and no issues. Comfortable for long rides, etc. I don't really see any reason why I'd buy name brand bibs unless these guys go out of business. These have been as good as anything I've had from Castelli, LG, Pearl Izumi, etc.

I also bought a jersey from them. I don't remember exactly which version it is, but it's a solid grey color, super thin/light material and ridiculously aero tight. The sleeves go down almost to my elbows which I like, but they're so tight that my arms feel like they're being squeezed out of it. This jersey would be good for racing, but is a bit much for regular riding.
Old 09-24-20, 04:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
Makes sense. Sounds like you feel the pad on the BlackBibs is good even if only two layer. Do you have the basic ones, or the Ultimate or whatever with the upgraded chamois?

I think I see what the flatlock is. The seams are a lot more visual on the BlackBibs than others. I don't really care about that.

Sounds like I am between trying the Przewalski or the BlackBibs (Sponeed is an option, too, as I use their shorts). All are in a comparable price point, but I do get free shipping and returns on the Amazon stuff.
I use the Black Bibs Plus. Its the only option in their tall offering.
I would like to try the Ultimate to see what the difference is, but that wont happen given the size limitation.

Ive also used PI bibs(mid range), Garneau Fit Sensor 2 bibs, Primal bibs(no sure what level), and the Black Bibs Plus are better quality than those. I care about more than the pad as that gives a little comfort, but the actual bib materials and quality are just as important.
Old 09-25-20, 06:24 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I’m good with the Przewalski 3D bibs. Typically ride 18-25 miles.
Old 10-02-20, 10:07 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
I just ordered one of the Black Bib touring bibs, and I'm really looking forward to trying it.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 10-02-20, 10:09 PM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a big fan of Heavy Pedal kits. I've not tried their cheaper bibs but the $100 ones are excellent.
https://theheavypedal.com/collections/mens-cycling-kits

I've never used them but I've also seen decent reviews for Bicycle Booth gear.
https://www.bicyclebooth.com/collect...ns-shorts-bibs
Old 10-02-20, 10:35 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
spexcel bib had treated me well, i have their cheapo $20 ones
this one looks pretty good https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304...7c6f7416Aph71l
Old 10-05-20, 03:46 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
I have almost bought a pair of gray and a pair of blue Przewalski bibs several times over the past few weeks, but the reviews have somewhat scared me off. I know you get that with anything on Amazon these days, as the reviews are all over the place, and there are just as many good as bad. What worries me are the reviews that say they Prz bibs aren't for a long day in the saddle. I did 5 hours, 80 miles, and 7k climbing in the most basic Black Bibs yesterday without discomfort. I need the Prz bibs to hold up to that level at least. I'd really rather buy the Black Bibs premium options in those color offerings but not only is it twice the cost, but I have Amazon gift cards burning holes....
Old 10-05-20, 09:32 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTNate
I just ordered one of the Black Bib touring bibs, and I'm really looking forward to trying it.
Post your review when you've received and ridden in the bibs. I've been looking at them online for a while now, but have yet to pull the trigger.
Old 10-06-20, 12:27 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Post your review when you've received and ridden in the bibs. I've been looking at them online for a while now, but have yet to pull the trigger.

They came today. Nicely constructed, tried them on for fit and they're good, comfortable. I have to say, my first pair of bibs, so I have no comparison other than my riding shorts.

I can already tell that the bib design will keep the chamois in place, which I suppose is the point.

Tomorrow or Wednesday I'll get at least 25 miles in, and report back. That's not really long enough to tell you about comfort, other than compared to my Aerotech touring shorts. My only complaint about those is that I have to shuffle around on the saddle a bit to put the chamois back in place.

The Black Bib have nice mesh pockets and smaller pockets in back, which will work for a gel pack or a house key. The leg pockets aren't as deep as my Aerotech shorts, but personally I like that. I only use those pockets for my garage door opener, and in the deep Aerotech mesh pockets, you're really digging down deep to get at it. I wouldn't want to try and carry larger objects on my leg while riding, but the garage door opener is so small and light that you forget it's there.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 10-06-20, 04:37 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Just cut the legs off a pair of Osh Kosh brand bibs .
Old 10-10-20, 07:30 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Hey, sorry for the late reply, but on Friday I did 35 miles and all I really need to say is that I'm absolutely buying another pair.

I "get" bib shorts now. The chamois stays firm against the body, so it doesn't ever bunch up or move around. This is the entire point of the "bib", along with not having the top of the shorts roll down (that was not much of an issue for me, ever) and the ability to add some small pockets.

This particular bib short, however, is great. Sure, if you're doing centuries, and you have a lot more experience with bib shorts, maybe you'll say "The black bib sucks, XYZ is much better". And, you could be right.

But for me, a guy who rides for fun and fitness, and who probably won't be doing century rides, at under 100 bucks these are really, really nice.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 10-10-20, 08:38 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
This is a little off topic, but has anyone tried the black knickers?

Dave
Old 10-13-20, 01:13 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Voler

great gear
Likes For Symox:
Old 10-22-20, 04:59 PM
jgf310

Bikes: Roubaix and StumpJumper

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeattleRider57
Another vote for Przewalski
Can anyone explain the difference between 3D and 4D?

they are nearly the same price
Old 10-23-20, 07:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by jgf310
Can anyone explain the difference between 3D and 4D?

they are nearly the same price
The difference is 33% more.
...or 25% less, depending on how you look at it.
Old 10-23-20, 11:25 AM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
I bought a pair of the amazon Sponeed when I went on a trip and forgot to pack any bibs. I’ve worn them a few times and been happy with them. They were only $42
Old 10-23-20, 01:41 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I just ordered the “team bundle” from Red White bibs. I already have 2 pair from them and they are the best bibs I’ve owned, though I’m kinda new to the bib short game.
Not sure if I would categorize them as “budget”, at $87/pair.
Old 10-23-20, 08:16 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
I've got an update on Przewalski vs. TheBlackBibs.

I ended up ordering the gray and dark blue Przewalski bibs during Amazon Prime day for $28 apiece. When they arrived, I was pleasantly surprised with the look and feel of the bibs. At 5'9" 145lbs, I went with the small size. They seemed quality and fit well, although the leg opening was tighter than I found to be comfortable. The pad seemed minimal and similar in what I had seen in $20 Santic ebay bibs I tried out years ago. I gave the dark blue bibs one shot, a 53 mile loop with 4k elevation gain. They failed miserably, and did so after 12 miles of riding. As much as I liked the look and fit of the Prz bibs, I couldn't find a comfortable situation no matter how much I moved around, which shouldn't be the case regardless. I considered whether or not they would be worth keeping for weekday 30 mile or less rides, but like I said, I knew they were a fail 12 miles in.

I took advantage of the 90 days-no-matter-what return policy and ordered gray and dark blue premium BlackBibs instead. I own 5 pair of regular BlackBibs so I knew what to expect with the pad. The leg opening is a different material and gripper, but honestly it's not needed over the $40 version. I used the gray pair the day they arrived for a 39 mile 5k elevation ride with no issues. I've used the $40 pair for multiple century distances so no surprise there.

Fit and color, Przewalski wins. Feel, materials, comfort and distance, BlackBibs win. Fit disclaimer - I'm right in between BlackBibs small and medium, but have always bought medium. They are actually a little too big at current weight. Przewalski size chart puts small at 30-32 waist and I'm actually a 29 but took a chance with Asian sizes.

Rambling post, but maybe it helps someone with a decision.
Old 10-23-20, 08:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Sounds like Przewalski must have changed pads. Too bad. The original orange "3D" Dupont CoolMax pad they used around 2018 couldn't be described as minimalist. It was thick as an adult diaper, with graduated thickness: thicker around the sit bones, thinner elsewhere, but not that sculpted look common to many pads. It's still the most comfortable pad I've found.

The Spotti bibs used a variation of the Dupont CoolMax pad, the "4D" which used the same material but a more sculpted look, thicker around the sit bones but not quite as thick as the original orange 3D pad. It's still pretty good.

The Black Bibs red sculpted pad is okay but not as comfortable to me on longer rides -- 50 miles or more. Not bad though. Depends on the saddle.
Old 10-27-20, 01:09 PM
sarhog

Well, I now own 6 pair of RedWhite bibs (2 regular, 2 stealth, 1 race, and 1 thermal).

Old 10-28-20, 08:56 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Sounds like a good endorsement of RedWhite bibs. I've been looking at them online for a while now but have never gotten around to pulling the trigger. I keep flip flopping between them and the black bibs.
Old 10-30-20, 06:50 AM
sarhog

Sounds like a good endorsement of RedWhite bibs. I've been looking at them online for a while now but have never gotten around to pulling the trigger. I keep flip flopping between them and the black bibs.
I own both. RedWhite are more comfortable, Black bibs are less expensive. Pick your priority i guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.