Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydesdales & Baseline For Frame Fitting..

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 01-27-21, 01:47 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

I am 6ft3 and just under 200lb. Here is my fit. Would be much appreciated if you guys could try and get a similar photo to get a better understanding of how a bike can be set up for heavier riders.

Old 01-28-21, 04:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I am 5'10" x 195lbs. I do not consider myself a "heavier rider". When last did you weigh yourself? I ride a full tuck racebike and, respectfully, finding a comfortable fit on THAT is where Clyde's might have difficulty. Do you have a safe amount of stem in the headtube on that bike? That would be my only concern. With the crank at the 3:00/9:00 position like in your photo I would expect more bend in the knee. I'd be curious to see what things look like at 12:00/6:00. But, it's your bike, your body. Seeing what others look like on their bikes is really of little relevance. UBU. Within reason. I also don't see a front brake on your bike. What's that about?
Old 01-28-21, 05:50 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am 5'10" x 195lbs. I do not consider myself a "heavier rider". When last did you weigh yourself? I ride a full tuck racebike and, respectfully, finding a comfortable fit on THAT is where Clyde's might have difficulty. Do you have a safe amount of stem in the headtube on that bike? That would be my only concern. With the crank at the 3:00/9:00 position like in your photo I would expect more bend in the knee. I'd be curious to see what things look like at 12:00/6:00. But, it's your bike, your body. Seeing what others look like on their bikes is really of little relevance. UBU. Within reason. I also don't see a front brake on your bike. What's that about?
Good questions.

I weighed myself yesterday.

Will get a pic at 12/6 position.

max insertion point is just covered by the top of the headset.

Im trying out a 26x1.75 rim currently, and have my front brake removed as a result. I need to grease the pivot points of the caliper before installing it again.
Old 01-28-21, 08:16 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
What are your intentions of where/how you are riding that bike? From what I can gather of just looking at the bike, it's going to be for cruising/pub rides or commuting. Your saddle will likely come down from that position as your leg bend is about what it should be at the bottom of the stroke. For sure it looks like a bike that would be too small for you in many riding styles, but with that upright position it will be comfortable and you can get away with a shorter top tube frame
Old 01-29-21, 04:44 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by brawlo
What are your intentions of where/how you are riding that bike? From what I can gather of just looking at the bike, it's going to be for cruising/pub rides or commuting. Your saddle will likely come down from that position as your leg bend is about what it should be at the bottom of the stroke. For sure it looks like a bike that would be too small for you in many riding styles, but with that upright position it will be comfortable and you can get away with a shorter top tube frame
Youre right about good leg extension at 6 o clock position.

I tend to ride the bike pretty spirited around corners and obstacles. Its very smooth going over bumps out of the saddle. I specifically wanted the short top tube according to my preference for fit. It gives me enough space to lean forward during sprints or uphill climbs. I don't ride this bike like a cruiser most of the time..

I use it to commute mainly on pavement and gravel. Some dirt paths as well.