Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 08:59 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Eating carbs doesn't make you fat. More calories in than calories out makes you fat.

Your body doesn't need to be trained that fat is a fuel. It already knows this. Bike at a moderate pace and about 1/2 the energy used will come from fat and the other 1/2 from carbohydrates. Eat carbohydrates and your body will replenish the depleted glycogen and not turn those carbohydrates into adipose tissue. Do this long enough and you lose weight.

On the other hand, ketosis is a recipe for inadequately fueling your body for high energy aerobic work.
Define high energy aerobic work.
Was the human body designed to do what you define as high energy aerobic work?
Old 03-31-21, 09:35 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
The human body wasn't designed. It evolved.

And it evolved to use carbohydrates and fat as an energy source. It evolved such that fat can't be directly used by the brain as an energy source (glucose and ketones can). It evolved such that above about 65% of VO2 max carbohydrate usage increases dramatically. It evolved such that it can generate energy from carbohydrates faster than it can fat.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-31-21, 09:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Just like any other form of exercise, cycling alone isn't the main factor in losing weight. Eating less is. If you look at the number of calories burned on a ride it's just not that significant, so it's fairly easy to maintain your weight while cycling.

OTOH, as shown in this thread, it can help you develop an eating disorder.
Old 03-31-21, 11:31 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

The human body wasn't designed. It evolved.

And it evolved to use carbohydrates and fat as an energy source. It evolved such that fat can't be directly used by the brain as an energy source (glucose and ketones can). It evolved such that above about 65% of VO2 max carbohydrate usage increases dramatically. It evolved such that it can generate energy from carbohydrates faster than it can fat.
Did it evolve to do what you consider heavy aerobic exercise? Do you have evidence our ancestors were running marathons or outrunning prey?

To the OP. Help your friend get to ketosis. She’ll lose fat.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 03-31-21, 11:49 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
It does if you put in many hours. Though, in the wintertime, it's harder for me to stay in the same kind of shape because I'm not out doing many 40 or 50-mile rides. When you're putting in lots of miles, I don't think you need to diet crazy, you just have to be a little bit careful. But if you're goal is only to not gain weight or a lot of weight, then you can loosen up if you're riding.
Old 04-01-21, 12:46 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
it is very simple to lose weight by cycling.

you simply ride and ride and feed yourself so little so that when you are riding, you feel really hungry.

if you do not feel really hungry and close to a bonk, then you will not lose weight, or lose weight very slowly, which is discouraging.

it is not easy staying in tip top shape. your teeth will rot out due to lack of nutrition and an overworked immune system, you will constantly crave food, and when you quit your program, you will blimp out like the goodyear, but it is fun going fast and humiliating strangers that could have been your friends.

i had Greg LeMond steal half a BLT off my plate, he's like, "wow, look at that hot chick" and when i went to look, the BLT was gone. Pros don't chew their food. They just pour it down in nuthin flat. So it is hard to catch them in the act.

Last edited by cjenrick; 04-01-21 at 01:30 AM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 04-01-21, 04:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
My understanding is that the effectiveness of increasing calorie burning as a weight loss strategy varies a lot from person to person as there's huge genetic variation in metabolism.

I find my health and weight are best balanced with a lot of cardio exercise and carrying some "excess" weight as muscle. I eat a high protein diet, which works well for me. I lost 140 pounds basically by moving from incredibly poor eating habits and inactivity to my current regimen a step at a time. It was gradual but extremely effective, and involved quite a bit of trial and error.
Old 04-01-21, 04:35 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Seems we have had a rash of 'em lately.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-01-21, 04:38 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Eat carbs makes you fat.
Go into ketosis to train your body that fat is fuel. Then your body burns your own fat.

So the above is the answer to “I work out but I’m fatter than ever.”
If you didn’t gain weight by working your core till muscle failure (gain muscle mass) you’re probably diabetic or prediabetic and ketosis is your health answer.
I agree broadly and in fact I haven't consumed more than 20 net grams of carbs in a day for more than 2 years. Never felt/been better.

Bonk-proof!

Diabetes-proof. And if the studies showing that Alzheimer's disease may well be "type-3 diabetes" (essentially chronic untreated metbolic syndrome/insulin resistance) Alzheimer's disease-proof too. One can hope!

I just read your solution as a proposed problem - hence my confusion. lol

As a side note and a benefit Ididn't anticipate from being Keto: I got taken off my bike riding to work almost 2 years ago. Fortunately I was only back up to 40 km/h after climbing a hill when the dog came running across the road into me. 9 broken ribs (15 total fractures), collapsed lung (bleeding at the bottom, leaking air at the top) and unknown head trauma (loss of consciousness at least twice). I was riding back to work (on a different bike) within 4 weeks and 2.5 months after the crash I was riding a 3-day, 300km 4100m climbing ride.

Incredible recovery time for someone over 50 by all accounts. My family doctor was astounded - she said she's had patients with 1 or 2 CRACKED ribs out of commission for months. I had a floating plate ("flailing segment") of broken ribs!

The only suggestion I have is that since I eat essentially nothing inflammatory my body could focus on healing. Dr agrees.

Last edited by Bearhawker; 04-01-21 at 04:54 AM.
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 04-01-21, 04:45 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Calories in / calories out is WAY too simplistic a concept without any framing, context, time spectrum, etc. Overall I think it is correct, but you have to factor everything else in - including genetics and biology.

For instance I rode a 3-day ride where I burned more than 15,000 calories but ate only ~3000 over the three days.

I gained 3 pounds over those three days.

I can lose 3 pounds in a week of no exercise (literally sitting on the couch "working" from home) just by modifying my food intake. Not "starvation" as I'm fat-adapted and burn fat as a primary food source... if I stop eating it I start burning it - FAST.
Old 04-01-21, 05:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm not going to get into the usual argument with the keto evangelists except to note that pretty much every serious study done on the subject ends up with the conclusion that almost no one can maintain it over the long-term. YMMV, but anyone who's telling you that their way is the only way is full of crap.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-01-21, 09:56 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not going to get into the usual argument with the keto evangelists except to note that pretty much every serious study done on the subject ends up with the conclusion that almost no one can maintain it over the long-term. YMMV, but anyone who's telling you that their way is the only way is full of crap.
Why can’t they?
Old 04-01-21, 10:30 AM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not telling anyone what they should do if that's directed at me. I share my personal experience, and reasoning. It's working great for me.

Either way I'm not sure what long-term means in this case. More than 2 years for me and unless I have a specific medical reason that counters the medical reasons I'm doing what I do, there's very little chance I will ever change. I have so successfully eliminated sugar from my diet that my taste palate has changed - even fresh berries are disgustingly sweet to me now.

If I were into racing I might be into a different situation. Maybe. But what I do is more endurance related and not being tied to refueling is very liberating.
Old 04-01-21, 10:49 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Something to consider is that cycling is probably not the friend's only lifestyle change in the past year. All of our habits have been disrupted by the pandemic, including our eating.
Old 04-01-21, 01:50 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Bearhawker
I'm not telling anyone what they should do if that's directed at me. I share my personal experience, and reasoning. It's working great for me.

Either way I'm not sure what long-term means in this case. More than 2 years for me and unless I have a specific medical reason that counters the medical reasons I'm doing what I do, there's very little chance I will ever change. I have so successfully eliminated sugar from my diet that my taste palate has changed - even fresh berries are disgustingly sweet to me now.

If I were into racing I might be into a different situation. Maybe. But what I do is more endurance related and not being tied to refueling is very liberating.
What I noticed. Almost immediate fat loss. Increased mental clarity. No sugar HI/Crash.

Other interesting side effects. No burps, no farts, no BO.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-01-21, 02:19 PM
guachi

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Did it evolve to do what you consider heavy aerobic exercise? Do you have evidence our ancestors were running marathons or outrunning prey?

To the OP. Help your friend get to ketosis. She’ll lose fat.
Yes. Humans are built (or evolved) for long distance moving and running. Long legs and short arms. Using our brains and our legs humans could run (or walk) prey to death. Few predators use this type of hunting, humans being one of them. Some humans still do. A fit human could probably do this (and probably did) using stored fat. They probably did this using stored carbohydrates, too. The fact that humans can switch from using carbohydrates when it has them to fat when it has it is an indication humans are adaptable. It's just that humans process carbohydrates faster and preferentially so if you need to move faster having stored carbohydrates is a definite plus.

Or, humans could use the ability to run to scavenge prey before other carnivores got there. In any event, the modern human is darn good at running.

In fact, among mammals humans excel at long-distance aerobic travel. I'd put our stamina right after our brains as a trait that sets us apart from other mammals.

From an article on wikipedia on the topic is the note that "Such a long hunt requires high amounts of dietary sources of water, salt, and glycogen."

Last edited by guachi; 04-01-21 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-01-21, 05:31 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Yes. Humans are built (or evolved) for long distance moving and running. Long legs and short arms. Using our brains and our legs humans could run (or walk) prey to death. Few predators use this type of hunting, humans being one of them. Some humans still do. A fit human could probably do this (and probably did) using stored fat. They probably did this using stored carbohydrates, too. The fact that humans can switch from using carbohydrates when it has them to fat when it has it is an indication humans are adaptable. It's just that humans process carbohydrates faster and preferentially so if you need to move faster having stored carbohydrates is a definite plus.

Or, humans could use the ability to run to scavenge prey before other carnivores got there. In any event, the modern human is darn good at running.

In fact, among mammals humans excel at long-distance aerobic travel. I'd put our stamina right after our brains as a trait that sets us apart from other mammals.

From an article on wikipedia on the topic is the note that "Such a long hunt requires high amounts of dietary sources of water, salt, and glycogen."
The humans that figured out habitat management, horticulture, and fatal funnels passed on more genetic material than humans that out ran prey.
Old 04-01-21, 05:50 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Only if you eat less than you burn.
correct bad diet doesn't trump good exercise.
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 04-01-21, 06:53 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-...tance-runners/

I get it now. We see what we want to see. It’s like how engineers make emotional decisions for things like what kind of car to buy, then find the numbers to back up the decision.

Of course someone into endurance sports believes the theory that we evolved to run prey to death.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-01-21, 09:01 PM
guachi

Humans have numerous evolutionary adaptations for running and for continuous aerobic effort. The theories just try to explain why that is. Whether the theory is right or wrong in no way change that we have them.

Refusing to take advantage of our ability to use multiple fuel sources and the ability to process them efficiently would be like someone deciding not to take advantage of our stellar thermo regulatory ability. Why do that to yourself?
Likes For guachi:
Old 04-01-21, 11:55 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by EliasGoodman
Hi everybody,
cycling can lose weight or not? My friend cycled daily around the area where she lived but did not seem to notice the weight loss but also tended to increase slowly. Do not know where the problem lies? Can someone point me out the problem?
Thank you very much for your interest in my matter.
Cycling can definitely lead to weight loss. But cycling AND eating better is much, much more effective. Additionally, cycling will add muscle (heavier than fat) so do not focus only on the scales, but also on your appearance and how you feel. Loosing inches in girth and gaining increased endurance and cardio-health, beats mere scale readings. Hard fact: You have to give up what made you fat. I HATE that fact!!!

For me, more exercise and less carbs (and hidden carbs) will always result in weight loss. Carbs are my nemesis so they must be avoided. I will lose weight just cutting carbs, but adding more exercise speeds my weight loss and tones the body. (even at 68 years old)

Last edited by Bill in VA; 04-02-21 at 12:00 AM.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 04-02-21, 12:56 PM
RihanaB
Banned.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
As for me, I never lost weight cycling until I also cut my calories to recommended levels (less than 2k a day, for me). When I ride, then I can eat more.
Likes For RihanaB:
Old 04-02-21, 07:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I eat a crapload of calories and drink beer everyday, I never count how many calories I eat, I never count how many calories I burn, I don't use any apps that tell me how to eat, what to eat , when to eat and I was never overweight yet. I must be doing something wrong
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-05-21, 11:51 AM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Calories in, calories out.
Old 04-05-21, 12:18 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Muscle mass weighs more than FAT. Thats the way it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.