Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bizarre attempt to fix a flat -- seen at the co-op

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 07:09 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts

A guy brought in a bike with a flat front tire to the bike co-op where I volunteer. Said he could not figure out how to fix it. I started taking the tire off the rim and felt something inside the tire -- thought it was a slime tube or similar. Nope. The guy had managed to remove the tire and stuffed rolled up newspaper inside it and remounted it. ;( Needless to say, it did not work. Not only was this a bizarre repair attempt, but the guy came in with a new tube and said he had that before he tried the newspaper -- but apparently could not figure out how to put it in the tire -- and that's when he tried the newspaper. Always a surprise what comes through the door at the co-op....

Likes For JulesCW:
Old 05-22-21, 07:30 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
As Red Green would say, "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-22-21, 08:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Where does one find newspaper nowadays?
Old 05-22-21, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I did something similar with grass for someone on a ride, I think we had some tube or pump issues I cannot remember so we just stuffed with grass and made it back after 150 miles of riding that weekend.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-22-21, 08:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
p...a...p...e...r? what's tis pulp fiction material you speak of?
Old 05-22-21, 08:53 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,492 Times in 2,845 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I did something similar with grass for someone on a ride, I think we had some tube or pump issues I cannot remember so we just stuffed with grass and made it back after 150 miles of riding that weekend.
Well, that's one way to get it across the Mexican border.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 05-23-21, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Run flat protection!

Just need to figure out how to get it in the tube instead of just the tire.
Old 05-23-21, 11:10 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Better example/worse way to change tires and tube. Offer of Schwinn aluminum road bike very cheap. "Needs tires" was all ad said.
i arrived. Front tire off rim but rim still mounted.
Seller had cut off old tire and tube on rear. He took a brand new rear tire and brand new tube and cut them cross ways and then mounted them to rim (with tape to keep tire on). He'd next tried to fill tire but being cut it wouldn't hold air. He then tried gluing it but again no luck. Onto front tire where this time he got old tire off rim but with rim still mounted you see the problem. Seller very frustrated. I offered to install the brand new front tire and tube but seller just wanted bike and me gone.

​​​Seller hasn't tried just filling the tubes. When I got it home an remounted the old front tube and tire they were fine

Guys who work at garages have people who try to change car tires without using a jack. Bolts off but rim won't come off so they give up and try to drive on flat....

The culture of fix it seems to be dying, so many people have no willingness to try to repair.

Last edited by WGB; 05-23-21 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For WGB:
Old 05-23-21, 12:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
The culture of fix it seems to be dying, so many people have no willingness to try to repair.
A neighbor a few doors down had their mail box blow off the post in a wind storm. They just wrapped a bungie cord around it to hold it on now.

I'm not sure if I should just go by " at least he tried something" or " bless their heart, he tried". <grin>
Old 05-23-21, 12:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
A neighbor a few doors down had their mail box blow off the post in a wind storm. They just wrapped a bungie cord around it to hold it on now.

I'm not sure if I should just go by " at least he tried something" or " bless their heart, he tried". <grin>
My mailbox post was knocked crooked by a very rare snowplow a few years ago. It was still standing so I ignored it.

Until one day a couple of years later I ordered some really heavy items from E-Bay, and I found my mailbox lying flat on the back with the box inside.

I can't really blame it on the snowplow, the post was mighty rotten.

Anyway, a half day's work, and I have a new, strong post to last another 20 or 30 years.
Old 05-23-21, 03:21 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
As Red Green would say, "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".
Red Green also said, and I believe this applies here, "This of course is a temporary fix, unless it works."
Old 05-23-21, 03:36 PM
uberprutser

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This story made me think about the time my nice (about 14) was going to fix a tire.
I asked her if she needed some help, but no she was confident it was a peace of cake, and she was able to do it.
Lather I would find the bicycle still in the workshop, and found out that she had glued on a patch without removing the plastic foil. And a bit later I would find out that the tube wasn’t even leaking, it just needed some air. Millennials, sigh!
Old 05-23-21, 04:14 PM
3Roch

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
As the thread has strayed from bike only field fixes-once a very long time ago was driving my beater 1967 BWW (car) on the Baltimore Beltway when an oil line broke-losing oil and much smoke. Had tools of course but how to fix it? Undid flare nut connection and found that for some unknown reason there was one very old round of.22 ammo in bottom of tool box. Pulled bullet, put it under flare nut ,tightened it up until lead extruded from flare nut hole and drove home

Originally Posted by uberprutser
This story made me think about the time my nice (about 14) was going to fix a tire.
I asked her if she needed some help, but no she was confident it was a peace of cake, and she was able to do it.
Lather I would find the bicycle still in the workshop, and found out that she had glued on a patch without removing the plastic foil. And a bit later I would find out that the tube wasn’t even leaking, it just needed some air. Millennials, sigh!
Old 05-23-21, 10:59 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
wheelbarrow had a flat the other day, 14 bucks for a tube! stuffed the heck out of it with bubble wrap, no more flats for me, how many nails does it take to pop 10,000 bubbles?

only use the thin twice a year, found a used wheel on the side of the road that fits but it had a bad tube. blew up the last tube by burning a lot of sticks in the wheelbarrow. thin hot so hot that the tube blew one side of the rim out about 3 inches. could have been dangerous. use a 50 gal drum folks. if they allow burning in your area. if not, put a hot do on a stick and you are legal.

sorry, "g" is out on comp, needs wd 40. which is fish oil. wd stands for water displacement. guides use it on bait.
Old 05-24-21, 09:01 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I took off a MTB tire at the co-op, and found another tire crammed in below it, with a flat tube inside that.
Old 05-24-21, 09:27 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Heading back from the beach one day, we discovered one bike had flatted, probably on the way there. Tried the grass thing first. While it worked in principle, I found it rather lacking in actual use. The grass got compressed/chewed up so fast. Didn’t get any distance at all before it needed to be repacked. After a few tries we ended up using our towels and the ugliest t-shirt instead. This worked well enough to last the 5 mile ride home.
Old 05-24-21, 09:29 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,492 Times in 2,845 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I took off a MTB tire at the co-op, and found another tire crammed in below it, with a flat tube inside that.
Probably a prototype of a run-flat tire for bicycles.
Old 05-25-21, 10:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
No surprise. We're in a culture where most of the knowledge acquired throughout history is a Google away on the supercomputer in our pockets, but a week ago people across America were hoarding gasoline in plastic grocery sacks.

We are the Golgafrinchans.

We're Americans, with a capital 'A.' You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-26-21, 09:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Yay, Mississippi!!!
Old 05-26-21, 09:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm impressed. I was proud of myself for riding home 10 miles on a tire that I booted with a Clif Bar wrapper, but this is next level.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-26-21, 12:04 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Well, they don't call you "Veganbikes," for nothing.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-26-21, 12:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Heading back from the beach one day, we discovered one bike had flatted, probably on the way there. Tried the grass thing first. While it worked in principle, I found it rather lacking in actual use. The grass got compressed/chewed up so fast. Didn’t get any distance at all before it needed to be repacked. After a few tries we ended up using our towels and the ugliest t-shirt instead. This worked well enough to last the 5 mile ride home.
This is before the days of Uber XL?
Old 05-26-21, 12:50 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
That owner was close to being onto something, but not quite. On the Bobby (Julich) and Jens (Voight) podcast they interviewed Mads Pederson (world road race champ 2019) who said his trick to riding on Danish roads when there's flint everywhere was to use a cut up old tire as a liner.

I don't have any bike-related bodges but I did sell a road bike to a friend last week who didn't know how to change his car tires (had to bail him out years ago, nearly suffered injury when the car rolled off the jack because he hadn't applied the parking brake) nor how to use a can opener (leading to some stunned surprise during a Thanksgiving meal prep). I explained that he should get tire levers and watch a video on how to fix a flat, but warned him not to follow any directions that involve using a screwdriver like Stephen Colbert's.
Old 05-26-21, 12:58 PM
GenesGrnMachine

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TCollen
Red Green also said, and I believe this applies here, "This of course is a temporary fix, unless it works."
There’s a lot of truth in that. I can think of a number of “temporary” fixes I’ve done that are still in play…
Old 05-26-21, 01:36 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by uberprutser
Parents just don’t raise kids like they used to.
I’m curious, if it wasn’t leaking, how did she decide where on the tube to put the patch?
Likes For jccaclimber:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.