Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Bolt or Garmin 530

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Bolt or Garmin 530

Old 08-29-21, 07:16 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I also really appreciate the built-in climb pro app. so you know where you are on all the significant climbs.
I’ve seen the climb app pop up when I’m following a route. Is there a way to activate it when just riding?
Old 08-29-21, 07:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I’ve seen the climb app pop up when I’m following a route. Is there a way to activate it when just riding?
I don't think so. Namely, how would your Garmin know where you're going to go to show you the distance etc left on your climb.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-29-21, 08:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
No. The device doesn't know if you will ride the hill or turn off of it onto another road halfway thru.
It uses the route data to determine what is worthy of being a hill to climb.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-29-21, 08:48 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't think so. Namely, how would your Garmin know where you're going to go to show you the distance etc left on your climb.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No. The device doesn't know if you will ride the hill or turn off of it onto another road halfway thru.
It uses the route data to determine what is worthy of being a hill to climb.
They bring up a virtual partner when you start a favourite segment. It would be nice if they’d activate the hill app whenever you start an uphill segment that meets the criteria for a climb. That’s my feature request.
Old 09-02-21, 01:37 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Received my 530 performance bundle yesterday and took it for a quick test ride, have to say very impressed so far, cadence, speed and hr monitor all setup easily, set up of unit itself was a little time consuming but as it was new wasn't a problem as was excited to have it! Have set up the 7 field display and all look good, there are a lot of features I don't fully understand yet but all part of the learning curve! Navigation was spot on, hill climb pro worked really well, all in all very impressed with unit so far! Have linked to my Strava account. Only downside was looking at the data afterwards and seeing my heartrate!
Old 09-02-21, 12:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've liked my Bolt and like the app interface as many describe the Garmin stuff as ultimately infuriating at some point in your journey with them as a company.

But......I've killed one Bolt out of warranty when the charge port cover wouldn't seal and the side buttons covers separated allowing sweat/water ingress ruining it. 1.5 year use. My second is in warranty exchange now for......the charge port cover failing. This time luckily within 2 weeks of the 1 year.

How they can't get that right, no idea. This time around the side button cover didn't start coming off as I bought a silicone cover for it that covers the buttons.......so was good there. But the silicone cover had an opening for the charge port so the charge port door still failed. Womp womp.
Old 09-02-21, 01:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I've liked my Bolt and like the app interface as many describe the Garmin stuff as ultimately infuriating at some point in your journey with them as a company.

But......I've killed one Bolt out of warranty when the charge port cover wouldn't seal and the side buttons covers separated allowing sweat/water ingress ruining it. 1.5 year use. My second is in warranty exchange now for......the charge port cover failing. This time luckily within 2 weeks of the 1 year.

How they can't get that right, no idea. This time around the side button cover didn't start coming off as I bought a silicone cover for it that covers the buttons.......so was good there. But the silicone cover had an opening for the charge port so the charge port door still failed. Womp womp.
My Bolt got killed in the rain, too. It was also replaced under warranty, but still.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-08-21, 03:15 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
What are some of your preferred ConnectIQ apps?
bikedataone has some interesting looking apps
Likes For sw20: