Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage steel candidates for 'all-road'?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage steel candidates for 'all-road'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 08:38 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
This is an old pic that i have shared before , but i am also in the camp that favors these old Raleighs for the type of use you are describing. Mine is a '75 Competition and it has loads of clearance under the centerpulls. Mine is still wearing the factory tubular rims, and i have considered speccing a set of tubular cyclocross tires to make it a vintage gravel bike, but alas, the bike is a tad big for me and i dont want to make much of an investment

Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-24-21, 10:26 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts

'91 750, 700x42 Conti Speedrides
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 09-24-21, 10:39 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
'83 Centurion Pro Tour 15 gravel/winter bike: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctak/s...7718067791732/

Likes For ctak:
Old 09-26-21, 10:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Very few vintage mtb drop bar conversions look good. Most look exactly how you would expect- kludges.
They can be neat and creative projects, even if they don't look great.
The ones that do look good are just flippin awesome.

1989-1995 hybrids from Schwinn, Trek, Miyata, Univega, Bimachi, etc are what I would go for. They have good clearance and are easy to modernize.
bonus- you get some killer period paint schemes like this...
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-27-21, 05:38 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Very few vintage mtb drop bar conversions look good.
While it is obviously aesthetically subjective, I have to agree. Seems there are two directions to come at it from- 'slim down' a MTB to make it more road-friendly or 'beef up' a road bike to make it more rough-surface capable. My tastes are definitely more 'classic' inclined, so I anticipate pursuing the latter approach, though if a particularly cool MTB comes along that could change...
Old 09-27-21, 08:00 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
I have to put my vote in on a Schwinn Cross* series... love mine set up as a 2x10 (chain is a little short and the phone mount is broken, but it's more or less complete)

Old 10-30-21, 10:46 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
I've been doing the daily trawling (trolling?) of the various classifieds for something in vintage steel for a new project (I probably don't really need..!). There's a Ross 292s 'signature' frame listed not too far from me. Asking too much, but seems worth watching. Any opinions on these? I know it ain't a Kellogg built frame, but from what I've found online it seems like a lot of the folks who have one like 'em. And there's a very slight nostalgia tug, as the first non-department store bike I ever had was a Ross Professional Super Gran Tour (Shimano 600!)...
Old 10-31-21, 08:57 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by bcstones
actually hybrids arn't mtb's, their popularity actually predates the mtb....their geometry is more of the road bike. They were designed to be ridden on pavement or cared-for trails like the Rails to Trails...if they were used to ride off road, then they were abused, ridden outside their design capability.
The term "hybrid" refers to a hybrid of ATB and "road" characteristics- it would have to come after MTBs to reference it being a related to- so you're roughly talking around 1990-ish. The idea was to have an "all-rounder" to take off road (according to marketing) with road-ish design, higher BB and ATB/MTB components.
not sure what you mean by Mountain bikes of the time period - started a bit of a chuckle....the "RePack" - mostly old Schwinn frames (50pounders) fitted with welded supported handlebars, & motorcycle drum brakes ridden down Forest Service roads in the California mountains, at the end of the run, the brakes had to be "repacked". When the Forest Service banned them, Gary Fischer & some others began designing their own bikes to be ridden off road....I don't recall any of them being described as "slack & lumbering"...before (I started my search in '89) I bought my Bridgestone in '90, I road Trek, Cannondale, Diamondback & Specialized (Nishiki & Kona are stuck in the back of my mind somehow)...but I'm not even sure when the term "mountain bike" first came into use. I remember something from waay back about "Clunkers", but that was long before the "RePack"....
Yes- the old Schwinn frames were the original Clunkers- Tom Ritchey and Joe Breeze started making bikes with the Schwinn geometry as a vague basis- slack angles and a long wheelbase for downhill riding. Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly started their company in 1979- it was called "Mountain Bikes." (Charlie posts here from time to time). The name kind of got coopted by industry- sort of like Kleenex or Xerox. Early mountain bikes had long wheelbases, slack angles and were (generally) made of heavy tubing. From that time, the bikes were built to that standard- often outfitted with bottle, fender and front and rear rack braze ons, hence the ATB name. The short wheelbase and more race oriented bikes didn't come around until 1987-ish with the MB-1.

It's a really cool history- and it's super interesting how those guys changed the entire bike industry and how many of them stayed in the industry-

I have a 1984 Stumpjumper Sport. It's a tank. I've never weighed it, but I'd guess it's in the mid 30s- I also have a 1987 Schwinn High Sierra- it's lighter, around 30# and does have front and rear rack braze ons, fender mounts, a pump peg, bottle mounts- it's essentially a touring bike with 26" tires- again with a long, slack geometry.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 11-01-21, 03:49 PM
bcstones

Bikes: Bridgestone MB2, Ryan Vanguard recumbent, Linear recumbent,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree it's a cool history...that said, I first heard of the term "hybrid" in the mid to late 70s (I don't ever recall hearing, at that time, hearing the term ATB (All Terrain Bicycle?). At the time I was looking for a bike for my Son. The "hybrid" was explained to me as a road bike with upright handle bars, so that the rider rode straight up, not bent over like a 'normal' road bike. The tires were either 27 1/4" or 700C with wider tires more like touring tires that the narrow, high PSI road tires and the components were basically that of the "road" bike. The "road" bike was designed to ride pavements, the "hybrid" could ride pavement & cared for trails, like the RtoT trails & MUP's (most of which I'd call 'pavement' anyway). At least as it was explained to me at the time.
I'm thinking that the 26" tire came into being with the Mountain Bike phenomenon. An older Sister still has her bike from her teens, w/24" tires. I still have my "Clunker" from 65+years ago, I'm pretty sure it also has 24" tires (btw...weights around 45 lbs LOL ).

The Bridgestone MB-1 thru 3 shared the same frame but different components (showed in the price tags)...the MB-4 thru 6 did the same but the frame was not the same as 1-3, tho all frames were Chrome/moly. My '90 MB-2 also has the front & rear braze-ons and bottle mount braze-ons. But no pump mount, guess Bridgestone figured their riders never got flats LOL
Old 11-01-21, 04:06 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
The term "hybrid" refers to a hybrid of ATB and "road" characteristics- it would have to come after MTBs to reference it being a related to- so you're roughly talking around 1990-ish. The idea was to have an "all-rounder" to take off road (according to marketing) with road-ish design, higher BB and ATB/MTB components.

my triple cross is an '89. just softly making the point hybrids did predate the 90's
Old 11-01-21, 04:24 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
My 1993 Bridgestone ticks all these boxes. It has road geometry and fits 26 x 1.75-1.9 tires.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-01-21, 05:01 PM
bcstones

Bikes: Bridgestone MB2, Ryan Vanguard recumbent, Linear recumbent,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cool...beautiful piece of history (tho the XO-2 in the beginning had Bridgestone's mustache handlebars)...here's a quote from Grant Peterson, the Bridgestone Marketing Director USA: "...Petersen was loathe to call it a hybrid as, contrary to modern bikes that are slotted into that marketing genre, it actually could do everything it set out to do — very well..."
Old 11-01-21, 08:03 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
cool...beautiful piece of history (tho the XO-2 in the beginning had Bridgestone's mustache handlebars)...here's a quote from Grant Peterson, the Bridgestone Marketing Director USA: "...Petersen was loathe to call it a hybrid as, contrary to modern bikes that are slotted into that marketing genre, it actually could do everything it set out to do — very well..."
Agreed, this was smart engineering in '93. Grant Peterson wanted to design an all roads bike and he chose a road geometry (not a hybride) and 26 inch wheels because there was a good supply of fat tires for them in '93 (the 29ers came later).

The '93 XO 2 was originally spec'd with drop bars. In fact the bars, stems and headset are the only original parts left on this bike.
Old 11-02-21, 12:04 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Those Univega hybrids look great and seem to turn up in pretty unused condition every once in a while around here. Mine has a Suntour 7s gruppo and perhaps oddly is spaced at only 130mm. I'm looking forward to building it up with one of my clearance-purchase Mavic Allroad Elite wheelsets and tubeless tires.

Note about any tubeless-compatible tires, expect a really hard time seating those on any pre-tubeless rim designs designed for a slightly-bigger bead diameter! You may not be able to even get the tire seated out on the road after a flat, without some bead lubricant and some very high pressure. It's not the tire's fault, they have to have a "tight" bead diameter in order to snap onto the ledge features in a tubeless rim. Fine to run tubes though with these same tubeless rims, should be much easier to get seated on the proper tubeless rim, still may take some work and some real air pressure, but far from as bad mounting the TL or TC tires on traditional rims.

With today's CX and gravel bikes now virtually all being sold with disc brakes, I am looking ahead at buying a high-end carbon CX bike from a few years back. It will be much lighter dollar-for-dollar than any bike having discs, especially compared to any NEW bike purchase.
I'm considering a well-used (by both a Euro pro and by a big local dude, both rims were shot) 2013-ish Cannondale Super-X having mini-V brakes which work really strong and silent. The balance is all SRAM Force/Red 10s stuff, and it weighs all of 18lbs with my Allroad Elite wheelset on it for testing (I've been given a most generous testing period with this bike already). For about a grand all-up, it's going to be quite a ripper, and even feels pretty sprightly on road rides with the Mavic 30mm (33mm actual on i22mm rims) Yksion Elite Allroad semi-slick tires.
This one'll be vintage soon enough(?):

Last edited by dddd; 11-02-21 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-19-22, 08:10 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
least expensive is likely to be the early 90's Hybrids with the unicrown forks. the coolest (in my opinion) are those that have lugged frames, long chain stays for lots of tire clearance (touring bikes).

I am building this 1984 Schwinn Voyageur as an all arounder right now. True they can be harder to find/more expensive - so I agree with the advice to build something that works and then watch for what you want. I need to stop watching cause I have found several of these touring type frames, they keep following me home

Schwinn Voyageur 1984- clears 700x40

1985 LeTour Luxe. Wearing 27x 1 3/8 (35mm) for sale in the Classic Vintage Sales section

Trek 520, wearing 27x 1 1/4 (32MM)

1987 Schwinn Cimarron. Hard tale "mountain bike" Unicrown fork. Paid up for this one
The paint on that Schwinn is smoikin'. Like the frame geometry. No wonder you paid up for it. (Yes old post)