Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Canada Road in Woodside stop signs

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Canada Road in Woodside stop signs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 11:04 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
The motorcycle cop who chills there now is super nice, he is just out there to ticket cars and protect cyclists. He pulled me over once and we had a nice chat, no ticket, he hasn’t pulled me over since. Stopsigns on Canada are super runnable. Super sorry to hear that some cyclists got tickets that’s such bs.
Old 05-12-21, 12:49 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The motorcycle cop who chills there now is super nice, he is just out there to ticket cars and protect cyclists. He pulled me over once and we had a nice chat, no ticket, he hasn’t pulled me over since. Stopsigns on Canada are super runnable. Super sorry to hear that some cyclists got tickets that’s such bs.
I'm glad you had a good encounter with him, it's always great to have an experience with a friendly cop.

As mentioned above there is a very strong anti-cycling element in that area that can rear its head when you don't expect it. I've seen personally cops at those stop signs immediately pull over cyclists to ticket them when they run those stop signs. I always do a quick stop in both directions there, it's just not worth the risk.
Old 05-13-21, 08:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I'm glad you had a good encounter with him, it's always great to have an experience with a friendly cop.

As mentioned above there is a very strong anti-cycling element in that area that can rear its head when you don't expect it. I've seen personally cops at those stop signs immediately pull over cyclists to ticket them when they run those stop signs. I always do a quick stop in both directions there, it's just not worth the risk.
Yeah, I would not depend on the friendliness of the Sheriff's Deputies.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-15-21, 05:26 PM
ctakim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always do a full stop at the two stop signs on La Canada in Woodside. I know too many people who have been ticketed there.
Old 07-13-21, 04:31 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
They were out there this morning. I was at the "T" of Greer and Kings Mt about to make my left from Greer down Kings. This couple were flying down then right behind them with sirens blaring, cop. He asked them why they didn't stop at the stop sign, I should have slowed down more to hear their excuse. lol
Also saw one waiting by the driveway of the school on Woodside. Stop at the signs, boys and girls!
cop by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 07-15-21, 09:45 AM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
Would have been great to hear their excuse running the stop sign. I have not seen them out there ticketing before, but I always do a complete stop at the stop signs based on the stories I hear.
Likes For sjammer:
Old 07-15-21, 10:03 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by sjammer
Would have been great to hear their excuse running the stop sign. I have not seen them out there ticketing before, but I always do a complete stop at the stop signs based on the stories I hear.
Yup. I don't always stop at signs depending on the location and traffic, but I do for all stops in the Woodside area.
Old 07-15-21, 11:53 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Yup. I don't always stop at signs depending on the location and traffic, but I do for all stops in the Woodside area.
If they were being real, that would be the reason the couple above would use. Most of the time, a cop is not staked out waiting to bust cyclists for stop sign violations, especially on the far side of a T-intersection. Personally, I think that's a little bit weak, but whatever, it was the riders' fault for not stopping. I usually slow down and do a California stop on most stop signs, but the only ones I stop completely at are in Woodside, and Diablo Country Club in Danville.
Old 07-15-21, 12:19 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by cthenn
If they were being real, that would be the reason the couple above would use. Most of the time, a cop is not staked out waiting to bust cyclists for stop sign violations, especially on the far side of a T-intersection. Personally, I think that's a little bit weak, but whatever, it was the riders' fault for not stopping. I usually slow down and do a California stop on most stop signs, but the only ones I stop completely at are in Woodside, and Diablo Country Club in Danville.
Yup. To clarify I always slow down and make sure I scope everything out for other signs and don't just blow through.

But I understand Woodside is a funny place and there is a real anti-cyclist presence lurking out there that makes enough complaints that I suppose the police feel they need to pay attention to.
Old 07-15-21, 12:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I saw a guy the other day who was rolling the stops on Canada, probably only slowing down to about 5 mph, but unclipping and making a show of touching that foot to the ground - as he rolled through! I suspect that's not going to impress the local constabulary.

So far, my approach of slowing to an almost complete stop but not unclipping has not attracted police attention. But I also check out the side roads for the Fuzz.

Old 07-15-21, 01:23 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
BUT, I always slow to a near-stop, regardless.

In Canada we call that "near stop" a Quebec stop.
Old 07-15-21, 03:12 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Yup. To clarify I always slow down and make sure I scope everything out for other signs and don't just blow through.

But I understand Woodside is a funny place and there is a real anti-cyclist presence lurking out there that makes enough complaints that I suppose the police feel they need to pay attention to.
Well of course, yeah I mean the only stop signs I really blow through are exactly these...the far side of a T-intx. There's really no reason to stop, especially when there's a dedicated bike lane. That, and a lot of right turns when going from bike lane to bike lane. Otherwise, yes, always be on high alert for cops, and bad drivers...
Old 07-18-21, 05:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

On today's ride, I saw a group of 3 riders, pulled over by a motorcycle cop on Portola just beyond the junction with Sand Hill. I imagine the blew the stop sign for the right turn off of Portola onto... well, Portola, actually. I made the same right turn later in my ride, slowed way down, looked carefully, nothing.

Of course moments later I see a left-turning cyclist making the swing across Portola, signaling his turn. and seconds later a car doing at least 60 coming around that curve coming up behind him. I didn't hear anything so I assume the cyclist made it, but I did have significant vicarious pucker.

But, you know, it's important for the cops to harass cyclists, not catch speeders.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-17-21, 04:49 PM
2cam16

This morning. lol
GPTempDownload (92) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 09-26-21, 10:45 PM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Does anyone know why care free Sunday was canceled today?
Old 09-27-21, 10:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Does anyone know why care free Sunday was canceled today?
No. I looked it up on the San Mateo County Parks site, and it says Bicycle Sundays may be cancelled for weather or staffing, so I'm guessing they didn't have a ranger to cover each end of the route.

Cancelling it is really a problem, not for me so much, but all the families who take their kids out on bikes - either they give up and go home, or ride with their kids on a road with a 50 mph speed limit and cars that exceed that limit by 10 or 20 mph. And then faster riders end up trying to pass them while still allowing for car traffic. I saw the aftermath of an accident yesterday, two cyclists down amidst a family including a kid I would not have taken on an open road. My first thought was that the two who fell - who looked to be more advanced riders - might have been passing the family and something caused them to brake, swerve, etc. I don't know - I didn't stop because there were already multiple adults there, and I have no medical expertise, and I figured the last thing you need on an open road is a clot of people on the side of the road.

Old 09-27-21, 10:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Oh, but when I was coming back North to 92, there was what appeared to be a VW club event - not Beetles, but rather hopped-up Golfs and Jettas. - with the cars all parked diagonally across the bike lane, sticking out into the traffic lanes, and people all over the road, paying no attention to traffic.

Old 10-06-21, 03:48 PM
2cam16

These two ahead of me this morning went right through this one. At least they weren't speeding. lol I didn't see them again until I was at my car about 20 minutes later. Probably got a ticket.
GPTempDownload - 2021-10-06T133029.439 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 10-06-21, 06:26 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Newsome HTFU
Old 10-11-21, 11:09 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Aaaand AB 122 Veto'd. FFS...
Old 10-11-21, 12:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by SCTinkering
Aaaand AB 122 Veto'd. FFS...
Aw, geez.

Old 10-11-21, 01:04 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
major bummer.
Old 10-11-21, 02:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Dammit.
Old 10-11-21, 08:35 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
should have been recalled.
Old 10-11-21, 09:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
should have been recalled.
I'm sure Larry Elder would have been so nice to cyclists after a woman on a bike threw an egg at him...

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.