Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Terrifying close call yesterday

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-26-20, 04:42 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts

Had a really close one yesterday evening... I escaped being run over by just a hair. I would probably still be shaking if it didn't happen at such low speeds.

A semi trailer had stopped at an intersection, waiting for left turn (his turn signal blinking, I specially paid attention to that). As I also needed to turn left (aiming for the sidewalk diagonally across the intersection, so I wasn't really going to be next to the semi), I passed the semi on the right and stopped a few meters in front of it to let the opposing traffic pass, just like the semi was doing.

At some point the driver of the semi must have changed his mind and decided to go straight ahead instead of turning left (allowed option there). I realized I must still be in his frontal blind spot as I heard the roar of his engine right behind me and coming nearer...I probably hadn't ever pushed my pedals this hard from a standing start, as I realized my only option was to get going and slip back to the right. Of course, my chain skipped under the load (I was in a fairly tall gear, one step below my usual cruising gear), and split second later I felt a nudge on my rear wheel. Luckily enough the semi changed gear then which allowed me to increase the distance a little bit and get off his path.

No physical harm done to me or the bike. The semi driver probably at no point realized I was there at all.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS keep safe distance from large vehicles, in any direction, even if they're not moving at the moment.
Old 02-26-20, 05:14 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It sounds like a tough spot being in an optional left turn lane. And, a reason why lane splitting and filtering to the front isn't always the best. Nonetheless, make sure wherever you put the foot down, you are visible.

In many cases, I like to pull forward to the middle of the crosswalk if I'm not in the way of pedestrians. Anything to give a little more visibility.

Oh, also keep in mind, vehicles may not turn on turn signals, or forget theirs are blinking. Or, even if he had turned the signal on, he may have realized he was a block off from the destination, or turning at that spot was problematic.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-26-20, 05:51 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Holy crap glad you are ok! There's no way he would've known you were there, and two meters infront is not far enough up to see you, especially on the passenger side! Always stay behind a tractor trailer or other large truck.
Old 02-26-20, 06:29 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
None of us were there to see it, but maybe his turn signal was blinking because he had just changed lanes.

As cyclists we all need to be alert all of the time, and do whatever we need to do to stay safe.
Likes For alo:
Old 02-26-20, 08:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
subgrade Glad you're okay.
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
...Always stay behind a tractor trailer or other large truck.
I usually stay "in line" with traffic for left turns...but every situation is different. One danger of following a large truck across an intersection for a left turn is that oncoming traffic may not see you, and if the light changes, or oncoming traffic already has a green, a foolish driver in an oncoming car may try to squeeze past the end of the truck as closely as possible...and of course that's where you are. That would be one reason why turning along the right side of the truck might be a choice one would make.

Originally Posted by alo
...maybe his turn signal was blinking because he had just changed lanes.

As cyclists we all need to be alert all of the time, and do whatever we need to do to stay safe.
Yes...something to consider!

This post reminds me specifically of the first left turn of my commute home. It's at a light and the left-turn lane is separated from the through-lanes by lines that make a bike-sized gap. I have seen other riders use it, but I am always worried about a left-turning driver swinging wide to the right while looking left. On the other hand, I have been behind a truck and been a surprise to an oncoming car who jumped the green.
Old 02-26-20, 08:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
my chain skipped under the load (I was in a fairly tall gear, one step below my usual cruising gear), and split second later I felt a nudge on my rear wheel
thanks for sharing but I don't understand, what caused this nudge? the truck striking you? the bike's drive train?

yeah, stay away from trucks & buses, they're killers
Old 02-26-20, 09:32 AM
subgrade

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thanks for sharing but I don't understand, what caused this nudge? the truck striking you? the bike's drive train?

yeah, stay away from trucks & buses, they're killers
Yep, the truck touched my rear wheel
Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-26-20, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

yikes!, better go buy a lottery ticket!
Old 02-26-20, 09:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
That's terrifying. My number 1 rule is don't be beside a truck (or bus) at an intersection. I'll have to revise that with "or directly in front".
Old 02-26-20, 10:07 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yikes!, better go buy a lottery ticket!
Yikes indeed!
Wow, glad you're OK. Semi v bicycle has a pretty predictable outcome.
Old 02-26-20, 10:29 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I'm confused on why you pulled up beside the semi. Where weren't you behind him waiting to turn after him?
Old 02-26-20, 11:31 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
This might be a helpful video based upon my understanding of events https://www.bikeleague.org/content/intersection-positioning
Old 02-26-20, 12:08 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
You are very fortunate. what I have taken to doing most of the time these days is to just take the lane and get in line like any other vehicle. Not in any kind of a hurry to make the light. Whenever it' my turn, it's my turn.
Old 02-26-20, 12:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
This might be a helpful video based upon my understanding of events https://www.bikeleague.org/content/intersection-positioning
The end of the clip inspires a lot of confidence!!!

Tip:
If you need to cross over railroad tracks,
be sure to do so at a 90° angle,
to prevent puncturing your tire.
Old 02-26-20, 12:52 PM
rumrunn6

reminds me of this one from last year (warning - no happy ending)

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...-reported.html
Old 02-26-20, 03:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I'm taking bad risks lately.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-20, 05:40 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Pulling up beside a tractor trailer is not a good idea, in any situation. Glad you escaped unscathed.
Old 02-27-20, 04:10 AM
subgrade

Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I'm confused on why you pulled up beside the semi. Where weren't you behind him waiting to turn after him?
Hope this schematic helps. I'm the thingy inside the blue circle.

If the semi would indeed have been making the left turn, we both would start simultaneously (with the likelihood of me doing a slight jump start), and I'd have completed my move long before him - that's why I pulled up in front of him.

Old 02-27-20, 10:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I wonder how @joeyduck is doing
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-27-20, 12:06 PM
Mitkraft

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought from what you were describing. You had absolutely no business being beside that vehicle regardless of what type it was. You were another vehicle, on the road, turning left. Unless there is a double turn lane the only appropriate place for you is in the turn lane behind whatever vehicles are in front of you. Just because you intended to enter the sidewalk after making the turn does not give you the right of way to jump into the intersection in any manner other than what would be appropriate for another vehicle. Otherwise you should have been in the crosswalk on the left side of the road and proceeded through based on the pedestrian signal.

Hope this schematic helps. I'm the thingy inside the blue circle.

If the semi would indeed have been making the left turn, we both would start simultaneously (with the likelihood of me doing a slight jump start), and I'd have completed my move long before him - that's why I pulled up in front of him.

Likes For Mitkraft:
Old 02-27-20, 12:15 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I agree with Mitkraft . Mixing travel modes tends to make you unpredictable for other road users. Unpredictable road users cause accidents. I'm glad you didn't have to pay more than a pair of underwear for this one.
Old 02-27-20, 04:07 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Similar threats to motorbikes
Defensive driving makes one aware of the unpredictability of others at all times
I ride Like I am James Bond
Everyone in the movie is trying to kill me
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 02-27-20, 04:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Similar threats to motorbikes
Defensive driving makes one aware of the unpredictability of others at all times
I ride Like I am James Bond
Everyone in the movie is trying to kill me
oh yeah

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-27-20, 04:33 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
I am not promising that I am going to sit at #6 from the corner in that situation, I'll definitely filter forward if time permits, but if I am turning left I am going to be on the left side of the lane and in the #2 position. I never line up with the #1 car even if I KNOW they are turning. I am going to use them as a shield as I make my turn behind them. The #3 car has definitely seen me because I have been just in front of them for some time. It doesn't matter what the #1 car/truck/bus thinks. There is often a handy bicycle symbol to the left side of a mixed use lane like that for when there aren't any other cars around. I used to think that you put your front wheel on it but actually you position your bottom bracket so it goes over the edge of the sensor loop. Works everytime now that I know to position the BB over the line and not the wheel rim.
Old 02-27-20, 04:51 PM
Mitkraft

Why exactly do you believe its ok to "filter forward" and basically cut in front of a bunch of cars waiting at a light only to have them get frustrated at the need to pass you (after already having done so in many cases)? The cars aren't going to be in your way if you wait behind them but you sure as heck are going to be in theirs if you cut in front. I can see the case for not coming to a complete stop at stop signs in deserted intersections but I just can't see the mentality that thinks filtering forward is anything other than being a jerk.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am not promising that I am going to sit at #6 from the corner in that situation, I'll definitely filter forward if time permits, but if I am turning left I am going to be on the left side of the lane and in the #2 position. I never line up with the #1 car even if I KNOW they are turning. I am going to use them as a shield as I make my turn behind them. The #3 car has definitely seen me because I have been just in front of them for some time. It doesn't matter what the #1 car/truck/bus thinks. There is often a handy bicycle symbol to the left side of a mixed use lane like that for when there aren't any other cars around. I used to think that you put your front wheel on it but actually you position your bottom bracket so it goes over the edge of the sensor loop. Works everytime now that I know to position the BB over the line and not the wheel rim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.