Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fire as paint remover?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fire as paint remover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 10:28 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i wouldn't apologize. people around here like to trip out...haha
Likes For thook:
Old 01-10-21, 10:50 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Let me clarify. The frame was above the fire, not in the coals. I heated one section at a time for about 1 minute, then removed it to scrape the paint in that section. Each section worked was roughly 6 inches long. The total process, section by section, took about an hour.
Like you said

"made a fire in the fire pit and threw it in"
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-10-21, 11:01 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Like you said

"made a fire in the fire pit and threw it in"
That was dramatic license.
Old 01-10-21, 12:04 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
I’ve never heard of anyone using flame to strip paint but lots of people use heat guns to do it. Ive used it on small parts.
Also- what paint stripper were you using? I found the spray-on stripper works way better than the brush on type. No idea why. It just did.
Old 01-10-21, 12:10 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I’ve never heard of anyone using flame to strip paint but lots of people use heat guns to do it. Ive used it on small parts.
Also- what paint stripper were you using? I found the spray-on stripper works way better than the brush on type. No idea why. It just did.
I had originally used the Aircraft paint stripper on other frames, but it turned dark in color for some reason and stopped working so threw it way. The 2 strippers I used on this, prior to fire, were The Kwik-Strip in the Blue can and the Jasco in the red can. I mentioned this in post #1 but here is a photo.

Old 01-10-21, 06:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A heat gun is affordable, works quickly with little or no damage to the matrix under the paint, including most woods when used carefully.

Years ago when I lived in a rural home on 3 acres I went through a phase of experimenting with all kinds of primitive techniques for woodworking, etc., including metallurgy I experimented with old school heat treating to make knives from worn out files, and to make simple flat sprints from metal stock. It's possible to do pretty decent work with just a hot wood coal fire in a garden, both softening and hardening, including case hardening with bone.

But I'd hesitate to use an open flame or coal pit like that for removing paint. A heat gun would be easier and safer.

I'd also want to get an idea of the frame joinery and minimize heat time on joints.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-10-21, 07:13 PM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts

Additionally, and as another comment., I can't bring myself to repaint this "electic rose" or "violet mist".
I think that color is great personally.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 01-10-21, 08:58 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by polymorphself
I think that color is great personally.
Well, I wish I could find a matching color for "electric rose" somewhere...at least something close.

Old 01-10-21, 09:02 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
A heat gun is affordable, works quickly with little or no damage to the matrix under the paint, including most woods when used carefully.
I have a frame I am seriously considering stripping, but it has a lot of chrome. Would a heat gun affect the chrome? The transitions from paint to chrome are over 12" in length so the chrome's gonna get heated up on this frame. But I recall the last time I stripped a frame with gel stripper; it was a mess and it didn't do a great job, either. Looking for a different approach this go around.

DD
Old 01-10-21, 09:05 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
try browsing montana brand "hard core" paints. i dunno. maybe. they have a lot of specialty colors i'd never seen before
Old 01-10-21, 09:10 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Next time pay the powdercoat guy 125 bucks to strip it clean as a whistle and cover it with almost any color you like.
Likes For AngryFrankie:
Old 01-10-21, 10:05 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryFrankie
Next time pay the powdercoat guy 125 bucks to strip it clean as a whistle and cover it with almost any color you like.
Man, I wish it was $125 here. It’s something like $250 here in Seattle. That said, they at least usually have bike experience.
Old 01-10-21, 10:12 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Well, I wish I could find a matching color for "electric rose" somewhere...at least something close.

Prismatic Powders will send you a free color swatch to see if their offerings match what you're trying to do. A little guessing found this:
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...osebud-sparkle

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-10-21, 11:09 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I’ve used citristrip on a couple frames with great success. Doesn’t require much effort either.
Old 01-11-21, 12:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Measured camp cooking fires and charcoal grilles with pyro-thermostats, at +500* F. One hour is a pretty good length of time, also.

Bill
That’s low. Average is a bit over 900°F. Higher temperatures can be achieved depending on the location in the fire. You can cremate a body in a wood fire and that takes from 1400° to 1800°F. Wood fires can go even hotter than that to around 2000°F.

The main point is that there is little to no control over how hot the fire gets.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-11-21, 12:26 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryFrankie
Which brings up the tantalizing question - what kind of damage can the 350-450 degree Fahrenheit of powdercoating do?

Or rather, is 350-450 degrees worthy of concern when powdercoating is so regularly accepted as a frame finish?

(Yes, fully aware the OP didn't bake the frame - I read that post. Just thinking out loud).

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-11-21, 04:48 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Which brings up the tantalizing question - what kind of damage can the 350-450 degree Fahrenheit of powdercoating do?

Or rather, is 350-450 degrees worthy of concern when powdercoating is so regularly accepted as a frame finish?

(Yes, fully aware the OP didn't bake the frame - I read that post. Just thinking out loud).

-Kurt
The lowest temperature for annealing use is somewhere around 250 degrees C (your 450 F is under that), and that's process annealing, not full anneal which is much higher - and the soak is usually longer; half an hour at powdercoating temperature probably would not do anything.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 01-11-21, 03:01 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Let me clarify. The frame was above the fire, not in the coals. I heated one section at a time for about 1 minute, then removed it to scrape the paint in that section. Each section worked was roughly 6 inches long. The total process, section by section, took about an hour.
No problems here at all, just not something I would attempt, and I have two steel frames needing repainting. In my shop. Considering media blasting as no chromed lugs or socks are involved with the Bottecchia, and the other is a Schwinn electro-forged Super Sport.

I do sincerely hope the build goes great for you.

Also, I will agree with cb400bill, that original colourway is very nice looking. (Coming from a Marine guy that proudly owns and rides a pearlescent pink Tomassini Prestige&#128521

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-11-21, 03:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Anyone who has thrown a tin can into a campfire knows that a wood fire can get hot enough to seriously deform thin steel. I remember from my wood stove days that wood starts to combusts at about 500f and that the target for a clean fire without visible smoke is around 1,100f. Some air control was generally needed to reach that temperature so I doubt that an open wood fire would get quite that hot very easily.

Brent
campfires we did as boy scouts would melt glass bottles. no way would I throw a frame i wanted into a fire. my experience with stripping isut a ton on, cover it all up big plastic garbage bags, and let it sit, after the the paint came off really easily

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-11-21, 05:40 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
also a heat gun might be a little more controllable than treating the frame like a marshmallow

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-11-21, 05:54 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Man, I wish it was $125 here. It’s something like $250 here in Seattle. That said, they at least usually have bike experience.
Ugghh. Maybe try to find someone a little out of the city. 125 is actually frame and fork in suburban Atlanta. I had an 853 Peloton done for 100.00, no fork, pretty recently, and it came out very nicely.
Likes For AngryFrankie:
Old 01-11-21, 06:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
All this talk about heat damaging steel frames is interesting. Bronze brazed frames are heated up to glowing orange at the joints with no structural issues (proviso that you're using the right tubing that will take the heat, yada yada...) They get reheated in small areas when brazing on tiddly bits (my new favorite term). Tubing properties are designed around construction methods, to some degree, and brazed, steel frames wouldn't be possible to construct if you couldn't heat them up brazing temperatures without damage.

The problem is heat control - any framebuilder will tell you that. If you're throwing a frame into a fire pit, it's hard to tell if small areas get heated up to the point where damage to the frame would occur. Others much more knowledgable in the blue flame arts might chime in here.

However, I wouldn't strip frame paint using heat for a different reason. If you're burning off the paint there could be nasty chemicals coming off that I certainly wouldn't want to breath in.
@Drillium Dude, if your heat gun softens the paint enough, I'd say go for it. I highly doubt that the hot air coming off of them will damage your frame.
Old 01-11-21, 07:03 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
They get reheated in small areas when brazing on tiddly bits (my new favorite term)
Wasn’t that the name of the karaoke bar outside of Tucson where we shared a fine meal back in March?
Old 01-11-21, 07:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Wasn’t that the name of the karaoke bar outside of Tucson where we shared a fine meal back in March?
Close.

That was the name of the song we all stood up and sang before they kicked us out.
Old 01-11-21, 07:25 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Close.

That was the name of the song we all stood up and sang before they kicked us out.
Nah, I was only lip syncing.
Likes For nlerner:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.