Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to wash my bike with wash gun?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to wash my bike with wash gun?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 10:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Did anyone notice that the "wash gun" referred to by the OP is barely more than a spray bottle?
Old 06-25-21, 11:48 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
You sure are trying hard. "OCD is the driving factor", "blow drying"? "trouble/hassle". Please, try harder to make the simple act off washing your bike to seem as onerous as possible. You could take a cue from Kimmo above, maybe equate using a hose on your bike with the plague or a nuclear holocaust.

Its a convenient and easy way to wash your bike. Of course, imo.
lol. I’m not “trying hard”…just stating the fact that grabbing a spray bottle and wiping a bike down….is far easier than dragging out a hose(and foaming) a bike. And if a bike a soaked…it would prob be wise to blow dry it to get water out of crevices etc.
All of that is def “unnecessary hassle” for most.
Old 06-25-21, 01:15 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
lol. I’m not “trying hard”…just stating the fact that grabbing a spray bottle and wiping a bike down….is far easier than dragging out a hose(and foaming) a bike. And if a bike a soaked…it would prob be wise to blow dry it to get water out of crevices etc.
All of that is def “unnecessary hassle” for most.
I see, it's not trying hard at all to counter reasonable people saying that a reasonable activity is reasonable when done reasonably.

First, make sure to point out how weird, or not normal someone is by taking said reasonable stance. Let's do a little name calling, oooh, "OCD", that'll do it.
Then, make up a completely irrelevant thing that no one actually does just to dress up the point you are trying to make. Let's add "blow drying" to the things that need to be done besides the fact that no one actually does that no matter how "wise" it would be. Add "foaming" because it sounds like it fits even though it's not clear what is actually entailed by "foaming" your bike. Instead of just someone picking up a hose we can describe it as "dragging out" the hose. I can just see the sweat and the physical cost involved, it really paints the scene and puts things in perspective.

Last edited by KJ43; 06-25-21 at 01:30 PM.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 06-25-21, 04:08 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Don't forget to jizz on it
Old 06-25-21, 05:45 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
This is why I have not taken a bike to a shop mech in 18 yrs. Never again.
Here is a recient example of why I don't trust shop mechs. My good friend, world champion sailor but bike ignorant.
He likes Trek road. He goes into the Trek shop and they sell him a gravel bike because that's all they had. Ok here
it is 9mo later and he goes in for a new chain. They sell him a new cassette and both ring gears because "they look worn. One chain of use total.
I forgot to mention that 3 mo after he bought it and they did the adjustments he is JRA and the crank falls off.
My last straw 18ys ago I had some small thing done, I get on the bike and one short sprint and the shifter twists locking
the back brake and blowing a overpriced S. tire. I won't bother to mention the previous problems but if you value your
life you need to check everything they do as they probably just have some kid after school working on it.
As for washing I use a bucket of soapy water and hose rinse. No high pressure nozzle or pump. Dry in the sun
for a couple of hours. Bike Lust is also great stuff and helps protect metal parts.

Last edited by popeye; 06-25-21 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-27-21, 02:03 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
So who's down with detergent or degreasers on chains then?
I use degreaser on the chain and use a brush. Then I blow the chain dry with a compressor gun then lube. On my motorcycle….I surgically spray kerosene on it to break down the grease/crud….then rinse, dry and lube
Old 06-28-21, 05:45 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
I use degreaser on the chain and use a brush. Then I blow the chain dry with a compressor gun then lube. On my motorcycle….I surgically spray kerosene on it to break down the grease/crud….then rinse, dry and lube
Be careful. From what I'm gathering in this thread, if you use anything beyond distilled unicorn tears, everything will asplode in a purple fireball.

Old 06-28-21, 07:00 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Get your cleaning kit out, with the products, and the spray bottle, or the hose, or the pressure washer, put your bike in a wet area, and settle in for bath time.

Or, you can just wipe the thing with a damp rag, it's clean and dry in one go, and you can get on with your day, like three minutes later.
Old 06-28-21, 07:20 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Here is a recient example of why I don't trust shop mechs. My good friend...
One ridiculous (and hard to believe) secondhand example from one mechanic in one shop... sure, let's head to the interwebs and bash the profession at-large. Well done.
Old 06-28-21, 09:43 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Get your cleaning kit out, with the products, and the spray bottle, or the hose, or the pressure washer, put your bike in a wet area, and settle in for bath time.

Or, you can just wipe the thing with a damp rag, it's clean and dry in one go, and you can get on with your day, like three minutes later.
Why are you so dead set on people doing it your way? Have you stopped to consider that some people may like babying their bike? When proper care is taken, no harm is going to come of that and how they spend their time is their business. Some people like to twiddle, tinker, mess with, etc. their bikes in the same way that others with their cars. They derive enjoyment from it.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 06-28-21, 10:09 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Why are you so dead set on people doing it your way? Have you stopped to consider that some people may like babying their bike? When proper care is taken, no harm is going to come of that and how they spend their time is their business. Some people like to twiddle, tinker, mess with, etc. their bikes in the same way that others with their cars. They derive enjoyment from it.
Hehe. I'm sure we are both used to BF and the people that just have to make their point over and over again if they come across anyone with another way of doing things no matter how reasonable. I am editing this to acknowledge that this is pretty much how forums on the Internets have worked since their creation and that that it is entirely possible to ignore the back and forth, but that would lessen the amusement factor involved by being a participant in a discussion.

I'm mostly disappointed that he left out at what point the jizzing on the bike happens (or the "foaming" as GBK233 calls it) and how that step fits into the three minute time frame.

I just hosed my bike down this morning, brushed the frame down, sponge cleaning the tires and rims, a quick scrub of the chain, and then another rinse with the hose and it was just around 10 minutes though I didn't break out the stop watch to time the bike cleaning. To be completely transparent, I did miss the super important "foaming" step and I also did not "blow dry" my bike either.

Last edited by KJ43; 06-28-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 10:34 AM
popeye

Originally Posted by Zaskar
One ridiculous (and hard to believe) secondhand example from one mechanic in one shop... sure, let's head to the interwebs and bash the profession at-large. Well done.
Check your comprehension. I gave you two examples out of many and both are true. There are threads here on the harm others have experienced on BF at hands of careless or greedy shop employes. If you don't want to believe me no problem. Unicorns
Old 06-28-21, 03:26 PM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Why are you so dead set on people doing it your way?
Come off it mate, I'm obviously just playing 'no, you're stupid' with you, after your unicorn tears comment.
Old 06-28-21, 03:29 PM
Kimmo

Check your comprehension. I gave you two examples out of many and both are true. There are threads here on the harm others have experienced on BF at hands of careless or greedy shop employes. If you don't want to believe me no problem. Unicorns
I've seen some some horrible work. Bloke I used to work for, who owns a highly respected shop in the city that's been there since the 60s, is an absolute butcher. I wouldn't let the prick within ten feet of my bike
Old 06-29-21, 06:03 PM
popeye

I've seen some some horrible work. Bloke I used to work for, who owns a highly respected shop in the city that's been there since the 60s, is an absolute butcher. I wouldn't let the prick within ten feet of my bike
Sorry Kimmo I admit to slow.
Old 07-05-21, 04:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 2,999 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
In fairness the average level of “professionalism” in bike shops seems pretty woeful. My various experiences with supposedly high-end shops (UK based) has been terrible. I’ve been trying to find a really good shop for years and always been disappointed in their servicing.

Last attempt was with my last MTB at a fairly local shop that sells all the really high gear and makes a big deal about its service prowess. Had a full “Gold” level service done. First thing I noticed when I got the bike back was the rear shock was mounted upside down with the air valve jammed up against the frame. Then I found that the dropper post wouldn’t lock in the upper position because the new cable was too short. Having rectified those two howlers I took it for a quick ride. All the Downtube cable clamps fell off and the drive side crank came loose. So a really top servicing job!

So I went back to servicing my own bikes again.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-06-21, 06:14 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by PeteHski
In fairness the average level of “professionalism” in bike shops seems pretty woeful. My various experiences with supposedly high-end shops (UK based) has been terrible. I’ve been trying to find a really good shop for years and always been disappointed in their servicing.

Last attempt was with my last MTB at a fairly local shop that sells all the really high gear and makes a big deal about its service prowess. Had a full “Gold” level service done. First thing I noticed when I got the bike back was the rear shock was mounted upside down with the air valve jammed up against the frame. Then I found that the dropper post wouldn’t lock in the upper position because the new cable was too short. Having rectified those two howlers I took it for a quick ride. All the Downtube cable clamps fell off and the drive side crank came loose. So a really top servicing job!

So I went back to servicing my own bikes again.
Yeah, I always took care to do the best job I could, but it was totally lost on my last boss; I was treated like a monkey in a dungeon while he shmoozed with the sales guys. Service a total afterthought.
Old 07-06-21, 02:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That sucks. The shop I work at has 6 mechanics. 3 of us are 58, one is early 40's, one is mid 30's, and one early 20's. All are very good mechanics. We are paid quite well and get a bonus. We are nearly treated like rockstars by our manager, he likes to brag about our experience to customers. If we need anything to make our job easier all we have to do is ask. I can't imagine liking my work and coworkers any more.
Likes For cxwrench: