Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend any very large seats?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can anyone recommend any very large seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 01:33 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Yes, the larger the seat the more comfortable it is....
but people that actually ride a bike will use a saddle, which is different from your wide seat... which is made for a wide, overweight person, to sit down on.
Maybe you are younger than me. Maybe you are thinner than me. Maybe you have smaller bones than me. Can't you accept that some people find large seats more comfortable?
Old 07-12-21, 05:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,428 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I suspect that in order to pedal using one of those, the thighs would have to be splayed out at 45 degrees or more and then in order for the feet to hit the pedals, the knees would have to counter that splaying torquing the knees uncomfortably inward.

But anatomically, we are all slightly different or, perhaps, GREATLY different.
I agree, but.... OP has posted pics of a couple of his "bikes." Clearly they could not be ridden any significant distance. He apparently has different goals, which seem to include making his "bike" and himself as eye catching and unique as possible. One of those enormous seat things would not be out of place, given the motorcycle mirrors and two foot steerer extension he's shared. It will need the sheepskin cover for maximum effect!
Old 07-12-21, 05:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
I’d like to see a photo of the entire bike, complete with pole and home made fenders and current saddle. That should not be a problem.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-12-21, 06:55 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Likely story. We all know you are obsessed with bike weight,
Not sure where you get that idea. While i have posted the weight of my road bike, it is far from as light as it can be. The Zipp 303 wheels are not the lightest, but i chose them because they are bullet proof. And my "winter" bike weight 50% more than my road bike.

You ASSume too much.
Old 07-12-21, 07:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Not sure where you get that idea. While i have posted the weight of my road bike, it is far from as light as it can be. The Zipp 303 wheels are not the lightest, but i chose them because they are bullet proof. And my "winter" bike weight 50% more than my road bike.

You ASSume too much.
And you must be someone who takes the OP's countless threads at face value.

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight - Bike Forums
Old 07-12-21, 08:28 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Maybe you are younger than me. Maybe you are thinner than me. Maybe you have smaller bones than me. Can't you accept that some people find large seats more comfortable?
I'll say it again.
Seats are for sitting on.
Saddles are for riding.
Old 07-12-21, 08:29 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And you must be someone who takes the OP's countless threads at face value.

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight - Bike Forums
Actually I don't track everyone's posting history. There's just a few usernames that i recognize and know their tone and posting history. I do take topics at face value and rely on the "regulars" to point out troll topics.

My reply to this topic was to point out that every buttocks is different and what is comfortable for one is not for another. My wife wouldn't make it a mile on my saddle and I would never make it much farther on hers. Weight is not the deciding factor, amount of padding and shape are.

But if given to 2 exactly the same saddles why not pick the lighter one... unless to cost is prohibitive. My saddle is a Bontrager Paradigm RXXL and is carbon. I chose it when I built my road bike because I had a Bontrager Paradigm RL on my previous bike and it was very comfortable. And as you know, finding one that fits it can be a challenge. BTW. when i sold my previous bike I put the original saddle on and the RL went on my "Winter" bike.
Old 07-12-21, 08:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

You're missing the point--no matter how wide you are, that seat is poorly designed for pedaling because it won't let your thighs move much. If anything, the bigger you are, the bigger this problem will be.

I'm not against wide/large saddles, I used to ride one that I would recommend if I remembered what it was--I am against buying that seat because it almost certainly can't be used by anyone who is actually pedaling a bike.

You'll notice that the ad calls it an "e bike seat". It is not designed to be a proper bicycle saddle. The issue is the shape, not the size--it would be like trying to properly pedal while sitting in a chair.

ETA--I think I found one of the big seats I rode once upon a time--https://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Sprung-Ergonomic-Cycling-Saddle/dp/B001F0QE7W/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0K-HBhDDARIsAFJ6UGhrphw5BfU1iUuoA1jCrMRkrgP31YtOFNmoRNsSSzWcKOxPzg3eaf0aAqelEALw_wcB&hvadid=32974443348 2&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9002277&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2890204189956430350&hvtargid=kwd-660782051028&hydadcr=2424_9914279&keywords=avenir+comfy+bike+seat&qid=1626101973&sr=8-9

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-12-21 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-21, 01:09 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
alo Regardl;ess of how 'big' your bones are, the position of them relative to the other bones is going to be very similar to other humans. I remember fitting a bike to a larger customer years ago and he couldn't believe that his shoulder 'pivot points' were a 'normal' 42 cm apart - he figured since the added bulk on his arms made him as wide as a door frame, his shoulders must be out that wide too. The same goes for saddles - they are designed to support your 'sits bones' which are going to be within a range of width common to all humans. A very upright 'cruiser' bike will generally be better suited for a wider saddle, but even then, having 'wings' that stick out past the weight-bearing part of your arse is only going to get in the way of pedalling.

My brother used to use one of the noseless 2-pad style seats, and he could barely ride around the block because the saddle wouldn't allow much movement of his legs unless the height was set ~6 inches too low from what I would consider 'ideal'. It was like watching someone try to pedal a toilet.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-12-21, 01:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I used to hear people, usually women, described as "big boned." Everyone understood their bones were normal size, just a euphemistic way of saying they had too much meat on those bones. Haven't heard the term in awhile but it may be time to resurrect it. Seems kinder and gentler than many alternatives.
Old 07-12-21, 02:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
It was like watching someone try to pedal a toilet.
I can't decide if I'm more disturbed by the mental image of someone pedaling a toilet or of someone watching someone pedaling a toilet.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-21, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I used to hear people, usually women, described as "big boned." Everyone understood their bones were normal size, just a euphemistic way of saying they had too much meat on those bones. Haven't heard the term in awhile but it may be time to resurrect it. Seems kinder and gentler than many alternatives.

It's definitely used that way, but when someone is muscular but broad (not fat), people will refer to them as being a "wide body". It seems like the same idea. No idea if that has anything to do with the actual size of the bones.
Old 07-12-21, 02:28 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Not too many suggestions but a lot of clowns making comments.

That being said, They make this in wide I believe. Proper support and room to pedal.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-12-21, 04:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Agreed! Folks have made a solid effort to salvage this thread.
Old 07-12-21, 05:33 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm really not sure that I want to be described as a short, big-boned old man!!!!
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-12-21, 05:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
You might look at some of the exercise bicycles, even in thrift shops. They often have ENORMOUS seats.

I did pick up a large saddle a while ago, but I think I traded it for a more normal saddle.

So, for example, searching E-Bay for: airdyne (seat,saddle)

Will turn up a half dozen seats in a couple of different styles.

Watch the attachments. I think the Schwinn takes a standard steel seatpost.
Old 07-12-21, 06:20 PM
CliffordK

This popped up on the local Craigslist:

Schwinn big bum seat - $40.00

Oh... Drain

It does say, however, "free delivery" (not saying to where, Eugene? Perhaps they'd ship).

I don't see the attachment above, but I'm assuming the standard steel seatpost clamp.

These monster seats don't appear to be the highest quality, but they might work if that is what you want.
Old 07-12-21, 06:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Not too many suggestions but a lot of clowns making comments.

That being said, They make this in wide I believe. Proper support and room to pedal.

Actually trying to be helpful here-- I think you forgot the image or link.Can't tell what you mean by "this".
Old 07-12-21, 06:32 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
A very upright 'cruiser' bike will generally be better suited for a wider saddle
I have raised the handlebars on my bike to make it more comfortable. While it is probably not technically a cruiser, I do sit in a more upright position.
Old 07-12-21, 06:35 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
The saddle shown in the opening post differs from all the other saddles in the subsequent posts: the front 2/5 of the saddle looks nearly as narrow as a conventional saddle, whereas the others begin flaring out immediately past the nose. alo's pictured saddle might be reasonably comfortable (although it might need to be set a bit lower than the height that would otherwise be ideal).
Old 07-12-21, 07:08 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The saddle shown in the opening post differs from all the other saddles in the subsequent posts: the front 2/5 of the saddle looks nearly as narrow as a conventional saddle, whereas the others begin flaring out immediately past the nose. alo's pictured saddle might be reasonably comfortable (although it might need to be set a bit lower than the height that would otherwise be ideal).
Ok, so this one is also on local Craigslist:

RideOut Carbon Bike Saddle - $50 (Eugene)

Unlike the Schwinn saddles, this looks like a standard rail mount.
Old 07-12-21, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
If you can accept you don't know anything about bike fit or comfort! A bike doesn't need a seat and a larger saddle is not what you want on a bike especially not to the extremes of what you posted. You do realize you have to pedal it and a saddle that wide will make it quite difficult or is riding the bike not your goal?

Wider and thicker is only better if you like BBWs or BHMs and maybe for certain sandwiches and old Cadillacs. For a bike saddle not so much. It doesn't have to be paper thin or super narrow but shouldn't be a saddle the works with the width of your sit bones and has good supportive padding if you are doing that. My 5 Brooks Cambium saddles don't have any padding but they have a bit of flex to them for comfort and are comfortable for longer rides to me at least. However my Selle Royal saddle I am currently testing on my R+M does have a bit more padding than normal but seems to be decent for shorter trips and so far is working ok.

This link can help you measure your sit bones should you actually be serious about this:
https://blog.bikefit.com/sit-bones-w...dle-selection/
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-12-21, 11:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I saw this looks like it should be very comfortable. But the delivery for a minimum of two is $112.46, where I am. So I am not planning to buy any. When I return to Australia, I might check the price again. These are for sale on alibaba.

Has anyone had these?

Are there any other very large seats that you recommend?

What the heck? The wings of this seat point upwards and thus gravity squeeze one's hips together? Or is one's weight suppose to squash the wings downward so they form a flatter profile?
Old 07-13-21, 01:13 AM
CliffordK

Somehow Schwinn has sold a bunch of Airdyne exercycles with monstrous seats.

If they thought people wanted minimalistic road racing seats, they would have sold them with those instead. And, people pedal them just like a bicycle, except the arms move too.

I've ridden one and I really didn't think much about the seat.

I was only on a bikeshare bike for a few minutes, but I believe they also used fairly substantial seats (although not as large as the exercycles).

Many road riders find that if they take a few months off from riding (winter break), then their rear end can be a little touchy for the first couple of rides.

Perhaps the larger seats do better at avoiding those localized pressure points.
Old 07-13-21, 01:15 AM
CliffordK

There are a number of different saddle designs.

Schwinn also makes a noseless saddle, and a few other brands have similar noseless saddles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.