Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cannot believe no ticket issued

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cannot believe no ticket issued

Old 08-23-21, 05:17 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Won't cost her much. RIP Walmart bike. LOL
Good thing she didn't hit the brakes. DOA for sure.
But, yah, look out every fricking time.
Old 08-23-21, 06:40 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Sure, I suppose there could be a citation, assuming the Pasco Sheriff guy knew about the video. I doubt you see too many citations that aren't witnessed by a cop. Plus it's going to depend on the priorities at the moment (here, in response to some citizen complaints cops were giving out warnings to runners in the street, not on sidewalk. Also see jaywalking crackdowns from time to time. Same thing for failure to stop at crosswalk / not yielding making a right turn.)

I own a house a couple miles from that location. Most traffic is on US 19 or Little Road (Cnty 1). Then you have some E-W cross roads and "interior" N-S roads that are more residential but can also act as bypass for the 2 main roads. Shouldn't really be speeding on that road, but obviously there's lots of things you shouldn't be doing, but do anyway. The bigger problem is when an SUV stops for a Ped, if they are close to the crosswalk other drivers can't see why they are stopped -- the sight lines are too blocked by the SUV. As long as we have SUVs and monster pickups, that's going to be a problem.

From a cycling perspective, I can see avoiding 19 and Little Road, and favoring the interior roads, but then you have less street lighting and often narrower (only exception is FL 52 which now has bike lane marked shoulders from Little Rd out to the toll road bike path). 19 has marked bike lanes in places, but there are many conflicts where right turn lanes take over the shoulder. Most riders I see on 19 are "transportation cyclists" and pretty much all use the sidewalk, not the bike lane.

But then it's like lots of areas in Florida, where rapid population increase has burdened the infrastructure. I remember when it was mostly snow birds from the great lakes and pretty much country north of Hudson. Those days are long gone. Now I guess you need to get north of Inglis to get the country.

scott s.
Old 08-24-21, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I brought the subject up because I believe it is quite likely. I believe the women had something else going on in her head besides driving a car. She likely looked up to the road in time to focus her faculty's just in time to take the only clear avenue of escape. At the rate of speed she was going hitting a car might of done mayhem not only to her but the other driver in front of her. I don't believe her excuse for her reckless driving. I believe using a cellphone to text while driving is moronic.
You're displaying an excellent case of confirmation bias. You've rescripted the event to fit your preconceptions, there's no reason to disbelieve her "excuse" because it's actually a confession --she didn't feel like waiting so she wilfully broke at least two laws.

She had to change lanes to get around the properly stopped car. That was a decision she made several seconds before running into the bike. It's a very clear case of someone deciding that obedience to laws involving crosswalks is optional and not realizing that the other car was screening her view of the pedestrian. This is a known huge problem that kills a lot of people every year, and here's a video that shows just how those fatalities can occur. It's ridiculous to change the subject as you have.

​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-21, 01:23 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogan
Do not believe the car driver was not issued a ticket. Another example of law enforcements disregard for a bicycle rider.

https://www.wfla.com/news/pasco-coun...es-for-driver/
The persons license should be suspended at the very least if not some jail time like drunk drivers get. That's one lucky guy.
Old 08-25-21, 03:06 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
That should not have happened. The driver should be ticketed. If I was her insurer and found out about this, I'd drop her or jack her rates through the roof, if state insurance law allowed. When I use crosswalks, I don't stop assessing and reassessing the picture until I have finished crossing. This includes checking both directions on a one way street.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-26-21 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 06:23 AM
Alecka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The driver's license should be suspended. What if something bad will happen next time because of this driver's recklessness? Law enforcers should be strict in implementing rules and regulations.
Old 08-26-21, 08:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That should not have happened. The driver should be ticketed. If I was her insurer and found out about this, I'd drop her or jack her rates through the roof is state insurance law allowed. When I use crosswalks, I don't stop assessing and reassessing the picture until I have finished crossing. This includes checking both directions on a one way street.

This is especially egregious because this was not only a crosswalk, it was one with a triggered warning light.

From the pedestrian point of view, there is nothing more dangerous than the driver in the left lane who disregards that the vehicle in the right lane has stopped at the crosswalk. Neither the pedestrian in the crosswalk or the driver in the left lane can see the other due to the screening of the vehicle in the right lane. I forget the statistic, but a huge number of pedestrians are killed in this exact situation every year.