Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you ride?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How do you ride?

Old 01-24-09, 11:34 AM
degnaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
where: exurb of cincinnati, 80% 2-lane rural roads with speed limits 35-45, 10% residential, 10% 4-lane arterial (limit 35). No shoulders or bike lanes, aside from MUPs.

when: to and from school, 4 miles each way, at 6:30am and anytime between 3pm and 7pm.

how: there's a mup adjacent to the residential road, so I ride on that. On the rural roads, I ride about 2 feet inside the white line. For the arterial, it depends on the circumstance - there's a traffic light right where the rural road transitions to the arterial.

if I come up on a red light with cars waiting, I filter past, wait for the light to change (its too busy to consider running) and go onto the sidewalk for the last .5 miles of my trip so nobody gets mad about me cutting them off. If there's a red light with no cars waiting, I go up to the light, wait for the green, and proceed 2 feet from the white line. If it's green, I just go through and stay in the road.

At stop signs, I basically just yield, of course slowing to a reasonable speed.
Old 01-30-09, 02:47 PM
LouiseTopp
All women are unique

Bikes: Daws Sonaron

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live:

Cathedral city with 2omph limits and pavements with specially designated cycle path's.

Here I always use the cycle paths where possible. I am always polite to people even when they strey onto the cycle path's, and swear at me after I have rung the bell. I obey all rules of the road, I ride to college and to my local stables, I wear bright green reflector vest.. I always use lights at night, and signal clearly at junctions. I am also a tourer and have cycled twenty miles on my bike, have also done some charity rides. One of the problems I have had is ignorant motorists, veering into the cycle lane and then sounding their horn at me just to see me take fright and fall off. I have a Dawes Sonaran which is most likely getting on, but it takes me to where I want to go which is good.

Where I work

Just outside the city is a farm on the edge of a village with country lanes. Most of the area included is farmland, plus the local crazy yappy dog who is insanely fond of me and chases me all the way down to the gate!

Type of riding: Leisurely at my own pace, until the four legged fiend of the miniature Baskervilles sees me then it's full steam ahead. Do you think pillowcases on the ankles would help?
Old 04-10-09, 05:35 PM
subverita

Bikes: Vision R40, Sun Tandem, Giant Rincon SE, Cannondale recumbent, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in central Ohio. I commute almost everyday and have toured less frequently. The key to my survival has been my attitude. I ride as knowing that I am entitled to share the road. I am respectful and cautious, but I refuse to relinquish my right to use the roads. I ride as though I am driving my car, simply at a slower speed. That allows me to ride anywhere (except turnpikes and freeways) and more. I tend to prefer less traffic, but I don't hesistate to take a lane. I may irritate drivers, but I wll be seen. In 15 years I have never been in an accident and I have never been cited.

Riding as though you are a second class citizen is giving in to those who believe cyclists cause incovenience and should be confined to multi-use paths, and even the sidewalks. Sorry, I won't play.
Old 04-14-09, 08:07 PM
IbikezLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only been riding on the roads for 7 months and I've had plenty of close encounters while riding on the far right of the right line, just bordering the shoulder, to begin asserting myself and ALWAYS taking the lane. I'll ride to the right when it's rush hour because I don't want to the ****** that's holding up traffic + I usually move faster than cars in rush hour.

I live in LA, not the most bike friendly city, and so I don't want to give drivers any chance of hitting me while they attempt to pass me.
Old 04-15-09, 09:46 AM
subverita

Bikes: Vision R40, Sun Tandem, Giant Rincon SE, Cannondale recumbent, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only been riding on the roads for 7 months and I've had plenty of close encounters while riding on the far right of the right line, just bordering the shoulder, to begin asserting myself and ALWAYS taking the lane. I'll ride to the right when it's rush hour because I don't want to the ****** that's holding up traffic + I usually move faster than cars in rush hour.

I live in LA, not the most bike friendly city, and so I don't want to give drivers any chance of hitting me while they attempt to pass me
U shud be proud of urself for riding in LA. If u want to live, I suggest you be the ******that's holding up traffic. Hugging the curb is a sure way to be hurt. I'd rather irritate than let a driver think he/she can share a lane that's not big enough to share.

In my part of the world, the curb is of poor quality, the asphalt is broken, and all the garbage on the street accumulates in the gutter.

Wanna live a long time, ride like you're driving a vehicle. U r much safer.
Old 04-21-09, 08:45 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I ride mtb and fixed gear when on the road.
Old 04-27-09, 01:30 AM
GuttingJob
trees

Bikes: mid 80's bianchi, Giant Rock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fast.
Old 05-08-09, 04:09 AM
metro2005

Bikes: Cube travel pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I ride a 3 mile commute evey day and try to bike as much as i can to family and friends. The roads i take are mostly separated bike lanes. Although i really like driving in rural areas most of my bike rides are in cities. I take city parcs whenever i can and i sometimes take a detour just to have a nicer scenery.
I use my car about 2 times a week. 1 is for getting groceries and the other one is mostly for recreational use whenever my girlfriend refuses to bike somewhere.
Old 05-08-09, 12:09 PM
bicyclerampage
jackalope

Bikes: couple of fast ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride mostly for transportation i own a car but rarely use it less i am going a great distance in which i cant be sweaty upon arival and to bring things over a hundred lbs. i commute to work every weekday 13 miles one way through 3 towns i live in southeast ma. where people drive like lunatics and seem to have a hatred for cycleists i wear a helmet ive got lights, and fenders to keep the mud slicks off my back and face i ride a road bike. i try to ride and be visible at all times, at stoplights i come up to the line and be sure #1 in line sees me and catches my signal if i am turning, i pass stopsigns if i can see both directions and its safe. i occasionally have lost my cool with motorists ill leave it at that.

Last edited by bicyclerampage; 05-08-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 01:05 PM
Fadoli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride like a domb...I will pay it one day.

I ride road bike in Montreal downtown, fast between cars and lines, I don't care of the lights or one-ways. I rarely use bike road, particulary in summer cause there is too much bikers who slow me down, so must of time i use the little space between park cars and the road, i took somes doors in the face from people who don't look before open their doors grr. It sound stupid, but I love the adrenaline so much when I ride! I have the project to built a fixie to test it too.
Old 05-12-09, 12:33 PM
tpat3

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper; Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a mountain bike on my very short commute and for recreation in a state park near my home and office, here in a small suburb south of Boston along the harbor. I also have a roadie but don't ride it much, though I go through phases where I like to go fast so will give it a good run.

My commute is only 1.4 miles each way, downhill on the way in, along a really nice old leafy main street with beautiful homes that leads to a small downtown area. There is very little traffic and only one fairly busy intersection.

The beauty of the commute is it leaves lots of time and energy for mid-day breaks up into the woods, where I usually do a 12 mile loop on a combination of single track trails, old fire roads, and a little bit on paved service roads. All of them are typical of New England with lots of bumps and roots and rocks. It's a good workout and I really enjoy being out in the forest. I've seen lots of wildlife, including turkey, deer, snakes, all kinds of waterfowl, turtles and, of course, plenty of bugs.

My style on the commute is assertive but not aggressive and since it only takes about five minutes, there is no need to rush. I take the lane always, leave about three feet between me and parked cars, but am courteous about giving way where practical and safe. My biggest thing is eye contact: if it don't see them looking at me at an intersection, I slow right down and make sure they seeing me. And not with that blank cell phone stare, either. You know what I mean. If I see someone yakking on the phone, I just assume I am invisible and behave accordingly.

I think every single day about how fortunate I am to be able to pretty much coast across my little town to make a living and not have to sit in my car commuting.

On the trails, I probably take too many chances, given my age and the fact that I don't bounce quite as well as I used to. It is a thrill to come flying down a trail over some rocks and around a sharp corner without breaking me or the bike. I push my self to work hard on the hills and have even started tracking all my rides with a program on my phone that has GPS. It lets me refine the routes I take and see average speed, altitude, etc.

Safe riding.

TS
Old 05-13-09, 09:11 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a very short commute in a "suburban" area with poor roads. (I've always had a personal policy of living within an hour's walk to work.) I go pretty slow (37 pound commuter), stay out of the traffic lane if I can, and choose side streets whenever possible. Yes, I prefer to have the whole damned road to myself...and I often do.
Old 05-21-09, 08:19 PM
ChrisOG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 52 and started riding again about 5 years ago for the cardio, after my older brother had several heart attacks. I live at the Jersey shore and ride almost every day; for 9 months of the year I have great riding conditions. I can ride on the boardwalk which is well lit, flat and safe. For 3 months of the year, it’s an adventure especially in Belmar. During the summer I ride an old trusty 10 speed Schwinn, in winter I use a hybrid. Living at the shore I have to deal with a lot of moist wind, sometimes it feels like I’m climbing a steep hill the wind is so strong. I always start riding into the wind and have the wind at my back on the way home. The good thing is that I don’t get too overheated riding in the summer with the cool breeze off the Ocean. .

I do about a 10 mile ride during the week and 20 mile rides on the weekends. Some towns by me have great bike lanes (Deal, Long Branch) many don’t, during the summer I have to deal with tourist (we call them Bennies) who are on Vacation and are not paying attention to what they are doing.

Last edited by ChrisOG; 05-21-09 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 10:22 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
After getting hit several months ago while riding my brand new Surly Long Haul Trucker, I've been riding much more defensively ... !!! I have slowed down a bit, sometimes quite a bit!

I always assume the worst -- Meaning that I assume the drivers don't see me, are not going to stop or slow down for me. The drivers are not going to yield the right of way for me. The drivers are going to swerve into the lane where I'm riding (including the bicycle lane, or the shoulder/gutter), and crash into me.

I've decided that my life is too valuable to take any chances. So, if there are any motor vehicles close enough (without a block or so), I wait until the vehicles are gone. If there are any vehicles, I stop at the stop sign. I always stop at signal lights.

I've found many alternate routes to avoid some of the busy streets. I watch my rear view mirror (large HubBub hex mirror!) very closely, and slow down, and stay as far right as possible, to allow the traffic to pass me, then ride in the lane again, unless I don't need to.

I've decided that at least some places, it is much safer for me ride the sidewalks! So, I ride on the sidewalks in places where it is just too dangerous to ride in the street.

I have three taillights flashing both day and night. Headlamp and flashing SuperFlash in the front (day), and headlamp and helmet lamp at night.

I keep my eyes on the road, and pay very close attention to what is going on, where cars might pull out of a driveway, alley, etc.

Oh yes, and I always where my helmet ... !!! Even in the triple-digit weather.
Old 06-03-09, 10:26 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Bicycle riding is all about being safe.

Old 06-03-09, 11:28 PM
olan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm using my bike everyday as i go to school and to visit my grand mom which is a few miles away from our house. now my bike is too old and i think i better ask mom to buy me a new one.
Old 06-18-09, 06:45 AM
VeganForPeace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work every other week, seven days of third shift fun. I ride every day of my work week, and have been trying to ride every day of my off week as well. The only problem is I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, and it is very non bike friendly, so I lack many places to just ride. I am looking for a destination about ten miles away so I can do about 20 miles a day when possible. I just started riding about two weeks ago and I feel much better energy and health wise.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with a Meijer Huffy bike for now, because it was only 80 dollars. It functions, but I desperately want something better. :/
Old 06-18-09, 09:16 AM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bike to commute, for exercise and for fun. I have a hybrid that's turning 1 month old next weekend which I've put hundreds of kilometres on already. I bought a 24 year old steel road bike off my roommate for $75 last week, I had it tuned, innertube replaced etc, getting it back Friday and I am dying to learn how to ride a road bike.
Old 06-24-09, 11:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
How do you ride?
My personal life is none of your business.

-Kurt

Old 07-11-09, 01:49 PM
jcrattigan6557

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I began riding just for exercise through parks and on sidewalks. Through the years it has become a hobby to me and now I ride around town, and every once and a while I'll ride to work. It pretty much depends on my mood that day.
Old 07-13-09, 10:04 AM
djcycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Within the past two years, I have gotten reaquainted with my bikes and have increased my time in the saddle. Before I would mainly ride my mountain bike along the trails here in Colorado Springs. About a year and half ago I bought a new Trek Madone to ride the streets and do long distance riding. I have now shifted primarily to that bike and within the last couple months, have stayed off my mtn bike.

As I am off during the week, I find myself riding during the majority of my distance during that time. I also plan my rides so that I face the least amount of traffic as most people are at work. I also plan my routes on roads that are wide and provide either a bike path, or a decent shoulder. I don't use a mirror to look back but I do pay close attention to the noises around me. I have gained a keen sense of my surroundings throughout the years and know when a vehicle is coming up behind me. On my rides, as I said, I normally ride in bike lanes or on the shoulder. When none of those exist, I ride within a couple feet of the white line and stay there.

So far, the majority by far of vehicles passing me give a wide berth. There has been some whom I felt were too close. When approaching intersections, I will always stop at red lights/stop signs. It's primarily for safety sakes, but also to give respect to everyone out on the road. This I hope will translate to providing respect to the next cyclist they encounter. I also make it a point to make eye contact with the drivers and I watch their front wheels to check any movement.

To make myself more visible, I wear bright clothing such as a neon green or yellow jersey. A helmet is always mandantory and I will not ride with anyone who will not ride with one. I have had friends in the past not ride with helmets and have crashed only to be saved from serious brain injury from a large backpack which prevented her skull from impacting the ground.

I have learned to project my voice to ensure drivers who may not have noticed me and are moving into my lane hear me. I also slow down when entering an area such as parked cars, intersections, stop lights/yield signs to ensure I have enough reaction time. Even though I may have the right of way, the laws of gross tonnage wins out. Its better to be safe than right.

I have not ridden in any large groups as of yet, but do plan on group riding with the lbs when my schedule allows.
Old 07-19-09, 12:52 AM
lively jason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate cars too....unless someone else is driving ;-)

Bikes are great - gives me lots of flexibility to move around
Old 08-16-09, 09:01 AM
Socrate

Bikes: Celeste Bianchi Pista 2009 (Japan model)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live: A suburb between two large cities in Japan. I don't have a car so I take my bicycle or the train everywhere I go.

Where I work: 15 minutes away from my home, OR in the city, about an hour and a half by bicycle away. I usually take the train when I have to go there.

What: I have a fixed gear Bianchi Pista and a big hulking "mamachari" - that's a single speed bike with a basket in the front and a rack in the back. Everyone has one in Japan (include gramma, hence the name). I ride the Bianchi, usually, unless I need to carry groceries in the basket or give someone a ride on the back.

How: I ride very conservatively on the mamachari (ride on the sidewalks, which is customary in Japan, stop at all the red lights, don't ride very fast), but on the Pista I usually ride on the street, I roll through red lights when it's clear, and I of course ride faster.

In general I think I'm "pretty" safe but I'm no role model. I usually am listening to podcasts on my headphones. I only wear a helmet when I'm going into the city or when I'll be on big major roads. I do this twice a week. I'm pretty strict about signalling clearly before I change lanes, or if I need to slow down to make a turn. I've only seen one other person do this in Japan, ever. Even though there's a significant cycling culture, and everyone rides a bicycle, some safety rules that are basic to me are ignored by everyone. For example, little old ladies ride on the wrong side of the road, super slow, carrying UMBRELLAS, on SUNNY days!

Actually, because I am a teacher, I am supposed to be a role model on my bicycle when I'm near school. So, I don't break any laws on my way to work... or at least when I'm in that neighborhood.

Also of interest: everyone here locks their bike with a small wheel lock. Nicer bikes are locked up with chains. I've never seen a U-Lock on a bicycle here. When I asked an LBS about them, one of the guys laughed. "You just knock them with a hammer," he said. Oh yeah, is that so?
Old 08-20-09, 05:36 PM
bikeveg
clodhopper

Bikes: 2009 bianchi verona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live:
Northern Virginia - the suburbs. There are few cyclists - I occasionally see a few roadies, but more often the only other cyclists I run into are children or working-class adults on mountain bikes. Drivers are definitely not bike-friendly, and tend to swerve into the other lane when they see a cyclist riding on the shoulder. Lots of honking and yelling if you're not on a MUP. No bike lanes to speak of.

How I ride:
I ride a hybrid. I take sidewalks and the nice MUP that runs all the way to campus. I don't go too fast and rarely feel like I'm pushing it. I don't usually run into trouble on the MUP - it's wide enough for two bikes and relatively well-paved (although I'm glad I have front suspension, it can get bumpy at times). Biking is my sole form of transportation, and I use it to get groceries, go shopping, visit friends etc. Also, I'm a full-time student and I bike to campus (8.8mi rt).
Old 08-24-09, 08:22 PM
sheba
ec velo

Bikes: XC: PUSS; Winter Beater: GT avalanche SS; Jump: Transition Trail or Park; Fixie: Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where: Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Population 65,000. We have nice cold snowy winters and usually hot/humid summers.

What: A couple bikes. One fixed gear/singlespeed with full fenders and rack for basic commuting year round. One fixed gear for city shredding and occasional road racing. A geared longtail bike I've used for touring and regular grocery and laundry runs. A singlespeed cross country mountain bike for hitting trails and racing. A singlespeed dirtjumper for urban freeriding and offroad jumping.

How: My riding style depends mostly on whether or not I am with a group or by myself. In a group I always take the road, stop at traffic signals, and am as courteous as possible to motorists. I try to be super aware of all the traffic around me; I'm looking over my shoulder all the time.

By myself, however, it's a whole different story: the entire city is my playground. Alone, I cut alleyways, yards, singletrack, parking lots, drop-offs, run stoplights, pretty much ride recklessly with caution. I don't ride like this with others, because the only person I can be confident about is myself. I don't want other people to follow me and end up getting hurt.

I'm not saying I'm not safe. I am still just as aware of my surroundings, probably moreso, by myself than with others. If an intersection is going to be a close call, I will stop or go around. I always wear a helmet AND gloves (gloves have saved my hands far more times than a helmet has saved my head). At night I have at least one rear blinky light and one front light. The risks I take are not with 2 ton automobiles, but with pushing the limits of my cornering ability on various surfaces.

Winter: Fixed gear 23c all the way. The smaller tires seem to cut right down through all the snow and ice and make contact with the road better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.