Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava - good or bad for cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 07:18 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

OK, so I'm a frequent user of Strava and have a lot of fun with it. In particular I like seeing what kinds of rides my friends and teammates are doing. I also have to admit that I am amused by the whole segment leaderboard thing. I also do races and I realize that a Strava KOM doesn't prove much. Races where everyone who is involved is competing at the same time are obviously a more meaningful competition. However I still find it interesting to see who else has ridden on my favorite segments and what their speeds and routes are. Also I have to admit I think it's cool to be KOM on a segment that a large number of other riders have ridden on.

I have a cycling friend, though, who is very regimented. He's a disciple of Joe Friel and does all his training by the book, so much so that when he's doing base miles he refuses to let his heart rate get out of zone 2 at all, and he tends to try to keep it almost exactly in the middle of his zone 2 range. He thinks the whole Strava leaderboard thing is ridiculous and he makes fun of people (like me sometimes) who deliberately target a Strava segment in search of a KOM. His view is that Strava "segment hunters" are wimps who are too chicken or weak to do a real race.

What do you all think? Is Strava a fun diversion or is it a way for second rate cyclists who can't compete in real races to think like they actually have some talent?
Old 01-05-13, 07:21 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't have time to waste on it. The 41 is bad enough.
Old 01-05-13, 07:26 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Both are true. It can be a fun diversion, and it also can be a way for racer-wannabes to "compete."

Probably the difference between these truths is attitude. The first is a fun attitude, the second is more of an OCD attitude.
Old 01-05-13, 07:26 PM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is good.

DG
Old 01-05-13, 07:38 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The good: Tracks miles and never goes down. The bad: Missing a lot of what other apps provide for free. Doesn't support Polar products. No audible readout of ride info at mile markers.

Segment times are about as meaningful as amateur golf scores. Almost always padded.
Old 01-05-13, 07:39 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
1) If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. What more do you need to know?

2) The Leaderboard / KOM stuff is ridiculous. Still, not everyone has any need to race. And your buddy sounds like he is way too uptight, at least as far as cycling goes.
Old 01-05-13, 07:39 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Your friend sounds like a pretentious ******bag.

Strava can be fun. I use it to track my own progress on the routes I ride and yeah, it's fun to see who else is riding those same routes. If I ever got a KOM, I'm pretty sure I'd think it was neat and I'm sure I'd be proud. But other than that it doesn't mean anything.
Old 01-05-13, 07:43 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by roadCruiser76
His view is that Strava "segment hunters" are wimps who are too chicken or weak to do a real race.
Plenty of real racers play Strava KOM too. I'm not plugged but I have to listen to the other guys on group rides yammer on about the latest KOM "win" or "loss".

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-05-13 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-05-13, 07:58 PM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've met new people and have new riding partners thanks to Strava. It's good for me.
Old 01-05-13, 08:07 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I would like to try Strava this year. I have been keeping tabs (sort of, but not religious about it) on Garmin Connect using an Edge 500. Strava adds a little with the KOMs and segments, which will be fun with some of the other riders this year. If you upload your ride and it happens to be on a route that has a segment or KOM thing on it, does it automatically imput your time into the leaderboard or do you have to do something special?

I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping up with the leaderboard or KOMs, whatever gets you riding is good for me.
Old 01-05-13, 08:12 PM
BigJeff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turning exercise into a video game with high scores leads to more young people entering a sport and competing, results are fewer hours in front of the computer and more trying for a high score.

BF/41 just results in post-count wars...
Old 01-05-13, 08:14 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
All of the top Strava segments around here are held by fast racers, I don't know of any that are held by someone who doesn't race.

I like, it provides a bit of extra motivation when I don't feel like riding, keeps things fun
Old 01-05-13, 08:25 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Starvation is great.
Old 01-05-13, 08:28 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it, but I use it to track my own progress. I like the fact I can do a climb thats a segment and see how I ranked against myself (this time vs other times). And I dont know all the KOM guys personally, but my god, if none of them race, I would hate to see what a "real" racer could do.
Old 01-05-13, 08:32 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
We are not all racers. Your friend is probably right from his perspectic.

For me I have one segment that I worked very hard to pass a friend who is a stronger bicyclist. This does not make me better, faster nor even give me bragging rights. But Strava gave me a tool to mark and improve. I love looking at the data but do not think it is a race save a race against myself. It get me out there to compete against myself

+100
for Strava for me
Old 01-05-13, 08:39 PM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy Strava. I can't compete for many of the KOMs but it lets me see how I'm progressing on my own.
Old 01-05-13, 08:45 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have anythign against Strava, and it's good for recording workouts, but I'd agree with your friend that if he's on a good, well thought out plan, he's right not to overcook it on the easy days, so he can build properly and hit appropriate intensity on the hard days. Most folks who have never really done a true incremented training program assume that riding hard=better, but when you're in a REAL training program where the volume and intensity increases steadily, you will be in weeks regularly where you will be overall feeling beaten down, and one easy day done too hard will shut down your quality sessions that week. When I'm in serious pre-race training mode and have been very good about the schedule, those easy days are crucial.
Old 01-05-13, 08:50 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The KOM thing is fun and all, but the real value of Strava is in targeting segments and trying to improve. There is another name for this: intervals.

For sprinters, it can be a godsend. Ever try to gauge your progress on a 20-30 second sprint without a powermeter? You can do it by distance over a specific time or by time over a specific distance, but in the former, how do you measure your distances, and for the latter, who starts and stops the clock in the midst of a full out sprint? Using GPS solves this problem brilliantly. Pick a starting and ending point and gauge your progress by segment times.

On the flip side, for FTP training without a powermeter, you can find a relatively steep hill and gauge your progress by using their power algorithm. Not the most accurate thing in the world, but if the primary resistance is gravity, their algorithm is good enough to gauge training progress.

So yea, it's a game, and like all games, at it's heart, it's a bit asinine. But the real reason for it's existence is for training. A free iPhone app, while not at the same level as a $1k powermeter, is much, much cheaper and at the same time, much more effective than a cyclocomputer.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 01-05-13, 09:04 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sure it is fun, but some people take it too far, endangering themselves and other road users. I have heard the term STAV******* used.
Old 01-05-13, 09:28 PM
aztimm

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
I've met new people and have new riding partners thanks to Strava. It's good for me.
+1.

I've found people near me on some segments, commented on their rides, and met a couple in person for riding together. It has been a great way to meet other cyclists--some who live very close to me

I doubt I'll ever do a real race, but I do like the whole segment thing on Strava. Yes, I sometimes do, "go after," a segment, especially if I have a good tailwind.
Every tour I've completed has tons of Strava segments. And someone always makes one big segment for the entire tour.
Old 01-05-13, 09:52 PM
James1:17
comin' in hot

Bikes: '97 Allez M2, '90 Trek 1400, 80's Univega Alpina Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's always someone to look down on. Usually, it's someone doing something differently than ourselves. Do what you enjoy and let friend think what he wants. I'm sure there are any number of gifted cyclists participating in strava.
Old 01-05-13, 09:56 PM
starjag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure it can be a game, but it can also be a tool.
Old 01-05-13, 09:58 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in SOCAL. It is 100% certain that I will never hold onto a KOM. I use Strava to as a data source that can be fun and nothing more.
Old 01-05-13, 10:23 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is good. It pushes you to new limits when you "compete" for a segment KOM.
Old 01-06-13, 12:08 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been a dedicated user for less than a year, and will continue to use it.

When used properly it can be an excellent training tool.

There's a very tough hill I challenge myself on - and Strava helps keep tabs on my progress (or in winter, regress ) on that segment. That's just one of dozens of ways I use it to judge my performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.