Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ANT+ cadence/speed sensors recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-06-13, 11:47 PM
rho

Bikes: Cervelo P1, Time RXRS, De Rosa King RS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im currently using garmin's sensors for my bikes, however I have some issues with one bike, as the chain stays are not straight as in my other rides. Garmin's device seems not to suit this particular frame, because of the shape of the chain stays it is not possible to the bike computer to catch both wheel's speed and cadence, even if I move the lil speed detector arm. For the record I want to say that the magnet for the cranks it's located into the pedal's axle and most ofbthe times I use metal spoke wheels the wheel's magnet rubs the sensor because the sensor moves due to chainstay's design.

Please feel free to give some advice on some reliable options. It doesnt matter if the speed sensor hast to be attached to the fork.

Thanks in advance.

Ronaldo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130106_231225.jpg (90.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-06-13, 11:52 PM
jdott
100% car free

Bikes: 2008 LeMond Tete de Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a Timex speed/cadence sensor where the two are separate and connected with a wire. Your shop should be able to get one for you.
Old 01-06-13, 11:54 PM
timmy29er

Bikes: 2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL, 2013 Giant Anthem Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.wahoofitness.com/Products...nce-Sensor.asp

Would this work?
Old 01-07-13, 05:16 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Can you get the Garmin sensor to work by swinging the speed sensor arm upwards so it's clear of the chain stays? Otherwise, as timmy29er and jdott say, the Wahoo sensor and similar designs should do the job. If you were in Europe, I'd recommend the sensor from Decathlon as it's super cheap and the design would work for you. But you're not, so I won't!

Incidentally, I now have 2 broken GSC10 sensors so would not recommend them. Both have the same fault: broken reed switch in speed sensor. Neither is much older than one year. I'm currently using a Motorola sensor which has been very reliable and can be easily switched between bikes because it uses a rubber o-ring rather than zip ties to attach it to the bike. It's a similar shape to the Garmin so may not work for you. I believe the Bontrager Interchange sensor is exactly the same as the Motorola one I'm using.

While I'm whinging. My Garmin deluxe HRM strap also stopped working prematurely. Replaced by a Motorola strap that has been fine. I won't be buying any more Garmin accessories, that's for sure.
Old 01-07-13, 07:08 AM
fenice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered a new magnet? The distance between the magnet and sensor can be greater than the standard Garmin magnet - I use them on both my bikes with a large gap and no problems.
Old 01-07-13, 08:25 AM
rho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I already tried changing the speed sensor position and no good results...

I'm no fan of wired sensors, I think the tech-bug bite me long time ago, thanks on the timex option anyways.

I think the cylindrical magnet Im currently using is better than the stock garmin's, as I can onky take it off with the metalic part of the torque wrench and actually I can lift the torque wrench with it. Anyway ill try to find out a longer one to reduce the gap.

I'll ask about the wahoo, motorola/bont at the LBS.

Ronaldo
Old 01-07-13, 08:32 AM
bobones

Originally Posted by rho
I'm no fan of wired sensors, I think the tech-bug bite me long time ago, thanks on the timex option anyways.
I think you picked this up wrongly. The Timex sensor is the same design as the Wahoo one: there is a little wire between the cadence and speed parts that makes it easier to position them independently, which should help on a bike with stays like yours.
Old 01-07-13, 08:50 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rho

Im currently using garmin's sensors for my bikes, however I have some issues with one bike, as the chain stays are not straight as in my other rides. Garmin's device seems not to suit this particular frame, because of the shape of the chain stays it is not possible to the bike computer to catch both wheel's speed and cadence, even if I move the lil speed detector arm. For the record I want to say that the magnet for the cranks it's located into the pedal's axle and most ofbthe times I use metal spoke wheels the wheel's magnet rubs the sensor because the sensor moves due to chainstay's design.

Please feel free to give some advice on some reliable options. It doesnt matter if the speed sensor hast to be attached to the fork.

Thanks in advance.

Ronaldo
i have the same issue as you with my chainstay design.

Like others have said, the Wahoo seems like it will do the trick.
Old 01-07-13, 09:49 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdott
There's a Timex speed/cadence sensor where the two are separate and connected with a wire. Your shop should be able to get one for you.
That's what I have. The wire between the two makes it easy to point the cadence sensor one way and the speed the other. It looks identical to the Wahoo thing.
$38 on Amazon with free shipping.
Old 01-07-13, 10:34 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Swing the GSC10 sensor arm up, as has been mentioned. Loosen the little screw holding it, swing up, then gently tighten it. I needed to do this on both road bikes I have with GSC10 sensors...

Sometimes it's possible to use it with the sensor between the left chainstay and the spokes by using and additional zip tie to hold the arm against the chainstay. It is also sometimes possible to put the magnet flipped around on the spoke to give more clearance, or even mount it on a ride-side spoke.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GSC10.jpg (40.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Looigi; 01-07-13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 02:18 PM
rho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry bobones, I got you wrong. I'll check the timex as well.

Looigi, i've already tried rotating the sensor's arm but it didn't improve the gathering of data.

I guess that frame manufacturers try to keep our minds sharp in these cases by doing some crazy/good looking designs for the chainstays.
Old 01-08-13, 06:49 AM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to move the sensor to the left in your pic. I have the same Garmin sensors on my road and mtn bikes with chainstays that are also not very straight. You should be able to strap the sensor close enough to the crank sensor then swing the wheel sensor arm close to the wheel sensor. If it's too wide a gap, put some double-sided tape on the crank sensor. Doesn't matter if the sensor is a little crooked as long as they sense the magnets at the grooved markings.
Old 01-08-13, 07:25 AM
bobones

Originally Posted by rho
Looigi, i've already tried rotating the sensor's arm but it didn't improve the gathering of data.
The easiest way to test this is press, hold and release the little white button on the front of the sensor unit. It should blink red then green. Now it should flash red when the cadence magnet is detected and green for the speed magnet. If you get green and red flashes you are good to go. If you don't get green flashes at all, even when the magnet is close, then the reed sensor in the speed arm may be broken, which is a common fault. The lights only flash for a small number of revolutions so you may need to repress the button to retest. If the flashing is as it should be, go to the head unit and make sure the sensor is being picked up. If not, change menu to no sensor present, back to present and then rescan.

Last edited by bobones; 01-08-13 at 07:29 AM.