Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Leader EQNX

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 07:50 PM
The Piper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leader EQNX

Does anyone know anything about the Leader EQNX this frame? I'm thinking of purchasing one.
Old 12-01-18, 03:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Leader made a whole lotta frames that cracked and the company went out of business because of that. If you want good info on just about anything, Al Gore invented this thing called the internets and on it there is a website called www dot the googles dot com.

When asking questions here have some specifics you know like a post of the bike or pricing and what you plan on doing with it and things like that. Not just "tell me about this thing" and end it there. Be more specific.
Old 12-01-18, 03:41 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
As I recall that frame came around pretty much at the moment Leader had started to go under, and I've never actually seen one, nor heard any first hand reviews. It's kind of a weird frame also -- carbon tubing with alloy lugs. It's a really primitive way to make a carbon frame (see Vitus), and I feel like it was just done so they could say they had a carbon frame in their lineup without incurring the cost of making a proper one.
Old 12-01-18, 07:04 PM
The Piper

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Leader made a whole lotta frames that cracked and the company went out of business because of that. If you want good info on just about anything, Al Gore invented this thing called the internets and on it there is a website called www dot the googles dot com.

When asking questions here have some specifics you know like a post of the bike or pricing and what you plan on doing with it and things like that. Not just "tell me about this thing" and end it there. Be more specific.
There is not a whole lot of information on the frame (tire clearance, frame dimensions, issues or reviews). It seems unique and a cool novelty to ride around with. I was hoping to hear from someone experience with it to help me make up my mind.
Old 12-02-18, 11:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by The Piper
There is not a whole lot of information on the frame (tire clearance, frame dimensions, issues or reviews). It seems unique and a cool novelty to ride around with. I was hoping to hear from someone experience with it to help me make up my mind.
Probably another great sign of a do not buy. Also alloy lugged carbon is a bad idea it was tried way back in the day when carbon was new and they didn't really know how to work with it but know they do. With the two different materials you are more likely to have issues with cracking and such.

Ask yourself why do I want a bike from a defunct company known for cracked frames that is even more likely to crack due to construction? Yes it is a novelty bike but if you want something cool, seek out something from a reputable brand that will work well for what you are doing.
Old 12-03-18, 06:48 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
where is Scrod when you need him?
Old 12-03-18, 07:42 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
where is Scrod when you need him?
No kidding! I'd love to hear his input on this. Although it probably wouldn't go well for the OP.

Just for sh*** and giggles, my best guess at his advice:

"Sure go ahead and buy a POS frame from a company that has had a sh** ton of problems and will probably crack on you. *snide remark about Sal* Or buy something decent instead. Your money, just ride your damn bike."

Also, if Scrod is gonna be a permanent exile here, how fun would a "what would Scrod say?" thread be?

Last edited by j_e_r_e_m_y; 12-03-18 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 07:19 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
No kidding! I'd love to hear his input on this. Although it probably wouldn't go well for the OP.

Just for sh*** and giggles, my best guess at his advice:

"Sure go ahead and buy a POS frame from a company that has had a sh** ton of problems and will probably crack on you. *snide remark about Sal* Or buy something decent instead. Your money, just ride your damn bike."

Also, if Scrod is gonna be a permanent exile here, how fun would a "what would Scrod say?" thread be?
I think he is in permanent exile now. There should at least be some sort of memorial to the guy. He pretty much built this forum
Old 12-04-18, 07:36 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

I think he is in permanent exile now. There should at least be some sort of memorial to the guy. He pretty much built this forum
Agreed. As caustic and short-tempered as Scrod often was, he had a wealth of knowledge that really helped this forum. It was fun to come here just to watch him rant and get po'd at noobs' questions. Even though I'm the same age as him (or close to it), he always struck me as the cranky uncle who you learned to not to let get under your skin because under that gruff facade was again, a damn boatload of knowledge. These forums may be a kindler, gentler place without him, but they ain't gonna be quite the same.
Old 12-04-18, 08:02 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
He received a temporary ban and not for the first time.
https://www.bikeforums.net/20505125-post960.html

He's probably pissed at the mods and there's no telling if he'll ever participate again.
Old 12-04-18, 08:07 PM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
what WHAT!? Scrod exit? whoa man... he really been helpful around here.

When I start rides fixed, I have no idea what is good and bad, what is BS stuffs, what working and what is not. I always read all his comments, all of it.

He is minimalist styles and I kinda followed him.
Old 12-04-18, 08:26 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Originally Posted by hairnet
He received a temporary ban and not for the first time.
https://www.bikeforums.net/20505125-post960.html

He's probably pissed at the mods and there's no telling if he'll ever participate again.
Yeah, I know it's not the first time he's been banned. As I mentioned above, he can be pretty caustic at times, but damn... we're on an open forum on the interwebz. People need to get a thicker skin about the occasional harsh comment. Here's hoping Scrod decides to stop back in once this temporary ban is served.
Old 12-04-18, 08:51 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Damn, first 6ix9ine and now scrod!!!! I'll have my screen printer whip out some ''FREE SCROD'' shirts asap
Old 12-04-18, 08:53 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Free da guyz, mane
Old 12-04-18, 09:03 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Originally Posted by mouse
Damn, first 6ix9ine and now scrod!!!! I'll have my screen printer whip out some ''FREE SCROD'' shirts asap
Ok, I ain't touching the 6ix9ine thing (I'm old, he seems creepy, don't @ me lol) but I'd pony up for a Free Scrod tee. Make it happen!
Old 12-04-18, 09:20 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Scrod is busy opening a new shop in Portland. Prolly doesn’t have lot of free time to post here.

Meanwhile, viva Leader !

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-04-18, 09:26 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Scrod is busy opening a new shop in Portland. Prolly doesn’t have lot of free time to post here.
Oh, that's rad! Hadn't heard about it.
Old 12-04-18, 09:38 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Oh nice, that's really cool to hear! Did he move Retrogression up there from San Diego or is he now in multiple markets?

Also, good to see you on here TT. Almost mentioned in my Scrod diatribe that you've been MIA here lately too.
Old 12-04-18, 09:51 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh nice, that's really cool to hear! Did he move Retrogression up there from San Diego or is he now in multiple markets?

Also, good to see you on here TT. Almost mentioned in my Scrod diatribe that you've been MIA here lately too.
Based on his instagram, I believe he'll have two locations
Old 12-04-18, 09:51 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts

The email from RG wasn’t clear, but I suspect they are relocating to Portland, which is a bit more FG friendly than Sandy Eggo. Also, SoCal is crazy expensive.

Also, thx for the love.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-04-18, 10:00 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

The email from RG wasn’t clear, but I suspect they are relocating to Portland, which is a bit more FG friendly than Sandy Eggo. Also, SoCal is crazy expensive.

Also, thx for the love.
Ok, that makes sense - PDX definitely does seem like a more logical home base for a shop like Retrogression. And you're welcome - I know it's not like we've had a ton of interactions on here, but I've always appreciated the knowledge you and Scrod contributed to this forum, so it's cool to see you posting again.
Old 12-05-18, 01:58 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
RG seems to follow the SD's original fixed gear shop, Velocult.
Velocult, though gone from both of their physical locations, is still a favorite among San Diegans and Portlandians

When Velocult moved from SD to PDX, RG opened shop in SD.
Recently, Velocult closesed shop in PDX, RG opens shop in PDX.

Just a observation of mine.
Glad somebody is going to fill the void with a worthy replacement.
Shame SD is going to lose said shop.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 12-05-18, 07:39 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
RG seems to follow the SD's original fixed gear shop, Velocult.
Velocult, though gone from both of their physical locations, is still a favorite among San Diegans and Portlandians

When Velocult moved from SD to PDX, RG opened shop in SD.
Recently, Velocult closesed shop in PDX, RG opens shop in PDX.

Just a observation of mine.
Glad somebody is going to fill the void with a worthy replacement.
Shame SD is going to lose said shop.
dude... holy ****! Call Mulder and Skully ASAP!
Old 12-05-18, 04:21 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Also, thx for the love.
I interviewed for a job in Portland a few months ago and was doing research and housing costs are quickly catching up to where I currently live in Los Angeles. Portland isn't cheap anymore and relatively expensive compared to the rest of the country. Everywhere in the green belt aka legal weed states are getting expensive
Old 12-06-18, 06:48 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
fixie shops in SD come and go, but we'll still be here pedaling around. I have him to thank for my lime green Wabi Classic and H+son wheelset that has been seeing more use than usual lately due to the rainy weather we have been experiencing. That reminds me, I should throw some pictures up to showcase it's latest iteration that I think I'll keep for a long time.

Dave Scrod is a kind gentleman in person and his shop will be missed. I wish him an Angie the best of luck in PDX.