Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What constitutes a “good bike” for you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What constitutes a “good bike” for you?

Old 12-27-21, 07:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
To me a good bike is one you can ride all day with no pain. That means a recumbent bike or trike.
Old 12-27-21, 08:03 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
A good bike, is one that I scored a good deal on, from someone who bought the newest, latest ,greatest. Then set up to fit with comfortable pedals, seat , stem , handlebars etc. I've found as I got older , the bikes that take wider tires fit the bill. They have to look reasonably sharp and be color coordinated on the components. I should be able to sell them and get at least my money back, minus the labor of course , you would never get that , even at $10 per hour 😣. Any bike that makes you get out and enjoy it is a good bike..
Old 12-27-21, 10:21 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 438 Posts
In my geezerage, after hip replacements, I need a bike with a step-through frame. It's an under-served market, imo, and the reason a custom titanium frame interests me now. I'll need to save my nickels though...

I need a semi-upright riding position as well, with handlebar controls. I love riding my old racing bike, but it is not really right for me these days, sad to say. But some geezer mods have made it rideable nevertheless. In the absence of something to hang onto, I need to lay it down on the ground and step over it to mount and dismount it, so it's not a casual ride.

And pardon my vanity, but it's nicer if it looks good, 'right' even, which is why I ordered a triplizer for my old campy crankset. I need low gears, too, now.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 12-28-21, 01:04 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i like a bike with a cigarette lighter that works.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 12-28-21, 02:10 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Cheap, easy and unbreakable!
r.e. ^^^^

MY 2002 bought at Target for $100.00 Magna 7 speed that has provided me with 15,000+ fun filled/trouble free miles that moves comfortably when pedaling and stops when brakes are applied and I don't mind riding it in the rain = a "good bike"
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 12-28-21, 07:30 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
r.e. ^^^^

MY 2002 bought at Target for $100.00 Magna 7 speed that has provided me with 15,000+ fun filled/trouble free miles that moves comfortably when pedaling and stops when brakes are applied and I don't mind riding it in the rain = a "good bike"
Hard to mentally conceive Magna and good in the same sentence, but you are right! It fits the bill 😀
Likes For Digger Goreman: