Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring-curious

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring-curious

Old 12-22-21, 02:48 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
If you use an Ortlieb handlebar bag I’d try to figure out a way to give it a little extra support. I have the small 5L on my commuter and if you get it much more than half it’s stated weight limit it bounces around quite a bit.
I have used one since 2011, and have had no issues with the original mount. I load it without thinking of weight. It had held my phone, battery pack, wallet, Canon DSLR, etc. with no issues. I now use a Fuji XPro-1, and carried it in the handlebar bag on tour, along with other heavy items with no issues. The mount can take it. Does it bounce a bit? Sure, but it isn't an issue, in fact, when it is loaded, it dampens the movement a bit. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Ortlieb knows what they are doing.
Old 12-22-21, 04:09 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I have used one since 2011, and have had no issues with the original mount. I load it without thinking of weight. It had held my phone, battery pack, wallet, Canon DSLR, etc. with no issues. I now use a Fuji XPro-1, and carried it in the handlebar bag on tour, along with other heavy items with no issues. The mount can take it. Does it bounce a bit? Sure, but it isn't an issue, in fact, when it is loaded, it dampens the movement a bit. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Ortlieb knows what they are doing.
The problem is mine drops if loaded
Old 12-22-21, 04:40 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
it could be that you havent followed the sequence of tightening the various bolts. Mine has been on my touring bike for a bunch of years now and has been on three longer trips, over some rough roads, and a couple of shorter trips and its been solid the whole time.

apparently its common for people not to follow the sequence properly and get sagging. Also, you don't need to tighten the crap out of the bolts, all this does is squish the cable which then becomes a real pain in the arse to take out or put back in through those tiny holes in the mount.
I learned this the hard way by squishing the cable, and afterwards did it properly and like I said, the mount has been solid for a good five years now on my touring bike.

just look up the pdf and you'll find it easily. This is the only thing I can think of going from my experience.
and no, I'm not sure how much weight I put in mine, although on the longer trips I did have a tablet, a smart phone, a med size point and shoot, and other stuff like sunscreen, pens, paper, etc etc etc all kinds of stuff.
Old 12-22-21, 06:32 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I've had the same good experiences as phughes and djb with my Ortlieb bar bag, which has been solid on various bikes for several years. I carry my camera, wallet , cell phone, passport, Swiss Army knife, sun glasses, extra camera batteries, maps, snacks and some other odds-and-ends in mine. I do not have any idea what the women carry in theirs, but from experience, I know that they are not light. However, they have a good mechanic

My wife and daughters did not have any issues with their Orlieb bags that I'm aware of.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-22-21 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-22-21, 08:20 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Does it drop, as in the mount moves, or does it simply "bend" down? Mine bends down a bit when loaded, not the mount itself, but the bag, but the mount has never moved or been an issue. If it is actually moving, or rotating on the bars, then it is not installed correctly.
Old 12-29-21, 03:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have not used an Ortlieb handlebar bag. Mine is a cheaper one that has fairly flexible plastic side pieces, that flexed way too much.

I tried using two 3/4 X 1/8 inch aluminum bars as an additional support, they bent too easily. I then tried two 1.5 X 1/8 inch aluminum bars, it has been strong enough to work very well. They are between the bracket and the bag, and bent at the bottom to provide support under it.

I stretched some inner tube rubber sleeves over the ends to provide a surface that does not abrade a hole in the bottom of the bag.

My 3/4 inch wide bars eventually cracked at the bend at the bottom corner, when I bent my 1.5 inch wide pieces I used a wider radius to the bend so that the stress of bending was less concentrated in one spot which I am sure helped.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 12-29-21 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-29-21, 03:47 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
the times I have ridden over really really really bad roads, especially dirt stuff where I'm all over the place, I've immediately thought that using the Ortlieb isn't a good idea, too rough on it---and lets face it, strap on bar rolls etc (of which there are a ton of options) are going to just plain work better.
Thats why all this stuff is popular and suited to real offroad and rough riding.

that said, I've been pretty impressed with how well teh Ortlieb mount handled it all--although I am not one of those people who are "breakers of stuff" because they cluelessly beat the crap out of stuff and then wonder why-slash-complain when X breaks or wears out. I ride accordingly and slow down in response to how much my handlebag is getting shaken to kingdom come, and clearly there are riding situations where a roll bag would make more sense, or a small front rack with stuff strapped to it etc.
Old 12-30-21, 02:28 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have not used an Ortlieb handlebar bag. Mine is a cheaper one that has fairly flexible plastic side pieces, that flexed way too much....

My 3/4 inch wide bars eventually cracked at the bend at the bottom corner, when I bent my 1.5 inch wide pieces I used a wider radius to the bend so that the stress of bending was less concentrated in one spot which I am sure helped.

i solved this with using a steel bookend from the corner stationary store.
the solid type, not the kind with decorative holes/designs cut in the panels.
cheap and effective.
steel is thin enough to use the original mounting plate bolts.
they come pre-bent, so no bending stress added to the very spot that needs to be the strongest.
and they already had little rubber non-slip bumpers glued to the bottom to protect table surfaces.
Old 01-04-22, 11:40 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
As parts are coming in (panniers, rack, drivetrain, etc.), I'm starting to sort out my packing set-up.

I'd love to get a rack and something like the Surly Porteur House Bag on the Trek. However, the Trek carbon fork doesn't have midblade rack mounts and there's no information saying it's safe to put a rack on the front, only fenders.

So, 1. Is it safe to put a rack on this fork? 2. Are a lack of midblade mounts an absolute dealbreaker? 3. If the rack requires 3 mounting points (lowmount, midblade, crown), can I use p-clamps for the mid-blade? Of course, I wouldn't rely on p-clamps as a main mount support.

I like the idea of a rack / bag in the front compared to a handlebar bag because I could consolidate my sleep system and throw all the small repair items, electronics, and odds and ends in the front. 10lbs at most in the front.

Last edited by sdimattia; 01-05-22 at 09:53 AM.