Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddle advice (Brooks vs Selle)

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 03-10-22, 03:58 PM
sande005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Ridding a Trek XM700+ commuter/hybrid ebike. Seatpost has a 25mm setback. Brooks B17 set as far back as is possible to get it. For the last 1,000 miles all has been fine.....
But, I decided to try a Kinekt suspension seatpost, as being a heavy bike with a heavy rider, it can be a bit much after an hour or two going over expansion joints and other pavement irregularities.
Was concerned about the only 12mm setback, so while waiting for the post to be delivered, moved the Brooks forward ~12mm.
KOPS definitely shows me as being too far forward, and after a couple hours on the trainer I can feel it in one knee.
Selle gave me a literal "I don't know" e-mail response when I asked them about how much more I could push their saddle back than the Brooks. Just noted that their rails were 4 inches long.

Can anyone give an idea as to how much more adjustment from a Selle, if I do have to start saddle shopping?
So far, the Brooks has been the best for fitting...so if alternative saddles are suggested, they'll have to be for "wide" riders....
Old 03-10-22, 04:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Are you talking about Selle Anatomica? They have longer rails and can be set farther back than a B17. I don't remember how much, but I think at least half an inch.

Having said that, my Selle Anatomica just didn't work for me and I switched back to a B17, even though they're roughly the same shape.
Old 03-12-22, 04:37 PM
sande005

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like I'll be either buying a new saddle, or paying a return postage premium! Previously ordered the Kinekt from Selle Anatomica (being on sale). It should arrive first, so I can see how it works with the Brooks, but not holding out much hope. Just now ordered the Selle Anatomica saddle. So will have all the parts needed for the science experiment. Then can determine what may or may not be suitable for keeping. Will report back to this thread the setback capabilities for posterity.
Old 03-17-22, 01:33 PM
sande005

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Results are in: Currently using a B17 pushed all the way back on a post with a 25mm setback. Tried the Kinekt with the Brooks, and as expected lost over half the setback. Couldn't stop the problem of sliding forward constantly, and it was obvious there was much greater weight supported by my arms. The Selle Anatomica allowed me to get most, but not all, of the setback. Still tended to slide forward, and to stop it had to have the nose up a LOT (~11 degrees!) Any less, and I slid pretty quickly forward in normal pedaling. That with the slight longer nose length, and the deeper "hammock" of the saddle, put pressure in places that should never have pressure. Perhaps some other saddle, with even longer rails, would work out. But I think it is time to abandon the struggle, and stick with the setup that gives the least discomfort.