Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedals to Crank arm sizing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-11-22, 08:34 AM
damnbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Are there different thread pitches and shaft sizes to pedals and crank arms, or is it universal? I'm winding up with crossed/stripped threads. When I search on google for crank arms and pedals, they always come separate. My pedal fell off, the threads were all stripped inside the crank arm. I put a new crank arm on with the same pedal, and I coiuldn't get the pedal on the crank arm without crossing the threads. How do I stop this from happening?
Old 05-11-22, 08:41 AM
damnbike

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
PS, I may have mixed up the left/right crank arms. What's the difference between the left and right crank arms?
Old 05-11-22, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Right crank/pedal is normally right threaded. Left crank/pedal is normally left threaded.

Most common today are 9/16" x 20 tpi. On old one piece cranks and some other bikes 1/2" x 20 tpi is found. At various times, mostly with vintage bikes pre 1970, you'll find some different thread types and directions.

If you mixed up the crank arms, it makes me think you may have one of those very old bikes that might have different threading's and directions. And maybe won't be compatible with any new pedals.

Put a pic in the gallery here and someone might try to find it. Though you only need 1 more post and maybe a full day to be able to post pics.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-11-22 at 08:56 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-11-22, 09:02 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by damnbike
PS, I may have mixed up the left/right crank arms. What's the difference between the left and right crank arms?
Left and right threads. Hopefully you didn't damage the threads in your crank arms by forcing the pedals into the wrong threads.
Old 05-11-22, 09:03 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
The right one has the chainwheels attached?

Also--often the pedals themselves, usually on the axle, will be marked with "L" and "R."
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-11-22, 09:06 AM
smd4

I've never tried, so I don't know...but could you even start left hand threads into a right hand crank, or vice-versa?
Old 05-11-22, 10:30 AM
damnbike

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Left and right threads. Hopefully you didn't damage the threads in your crank arms by forcing the pedals into the wrong threads.
I did strip the threads on the crank arm, then put on a spare crank arm, and crossed the threads on that too
Old 05-11-22, 10:31 AM
damnbike

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
The right one has the chainwheels attached?

Also--often the pedals themselves, usually on the axle, will be marked with "L" and "R."
Well, this was on the chainwheel side, I replaced it with a spare, but I didn't know if the spare was left or right.

I might have mixed up the pedals too I didn't know everything was different left and right.
Old 05-11-22, 10:34 AM
smd4

I might have mixed up the pedals too I didn't know everything was different left and right.
Look for the "L" and "R" stampings on the pedal axles, near (or on?) the wrench flats. The threads are different on the left so the pedal doesn't unscrew itself while you're pedaling.
Old 05-11-22, 10:43 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
I've never tried, so I don't know...but could you even start left hand threads into a right hand crank, or vice-versa?
it has been done more often than you would think, hard steel, softer aluminum, no finesse (ready gorilla like force)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-11-22, 10:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If the threads aren't buggered up too bad, you might can run something through from the other side and straighten the threads enough to install the pedals properly. A pedal might do that if the treads are long enough to go all the way. If not you'll have a hard time finding something long enough that is left threaded.

However if you did not notice that things where right and left threaded or that you were cross-threading, then maybe you should go to a bike mechanic with this.

DIY is better learned when everything is correct. Otherwise, you'll probably get some misconceptions right from the start that will be hard to rid yourself of.

And still, we are a little confused about you saying you can swap left and right cranks. Are there any part numbers or brand and model stamped on the cranks? Again, how about putting a pic in the gallery and we'll look for it if you can't now directly post them in your replies here.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-11-22, 10:55 AM
smd4

Well, this was on the chainwheel side, I replaced it with a spare, but I didn't know if the spare was left or right.
I *think* you're saying you replaced the pedal you tried to install with a "spare?"

Is this the same bike that you're having trouble with the chain?
Old 05-11-22, 02:05 PM
cxwrench

I did strip the threads on the crank arm, then put on a spare crank arm, and crossed the threads on that too
So the first time wasn't the learning experience it should've been.

Look for the "L" and "R" stampings on the pedal axles, near (or on?) the wrench flats. The threads are different on the left so the pedal doesn't unscrew itself while you're pedaling.
Some pedals have L and R but many don't. If they don't then there will ALWAYS be something to tell left from right if you can't tell by looking at the threads. A groove around the axle right next to where it threads into the crank arm or grooves perpendicular to the axle in the spot. There is ALWAYS a telltale.

Originally Posted by Iride01
If the threads aren't buggered up too bad, you might can run something through from the other side and straighten the threads enough to install the pedals properly. A pedal might do that if the treads are long enough to go all the way. If not you'll have a hard time finding something long enough that is left threaded.

However if you did not notice that things where right and left threaded or that you were cross-threading, then maybe you should go to a bike mechanic with this.

DIY is better learned when everything is correct. Otherwise, you'll probably get some misconceptions right from the start that will be hard to rid yourself of.

And still, we are a little confused about you saying you can swap left and right cranks. Are there any part numbers or brand and model stamped on the cranks? Again, how about putting a pic in the gallery and we'll look for it if you can't now directly post them in your replies here.
You mean 'something' like a tap that's sole purpose is to clean up threads?
Old 05-11-22, 02:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You mean 'something' like a tap that's sole purpose is to clean up threads?
No, not in light of all the other mis-steps the OP has already done. Taps, even those made just to clean up threads are more easily started wrong and can make a bigger mess of things when in the hands of someone not able to tell when they are doing it wrong. And if bought by mistake, taps for cutting new threads might just break and get jammed in the hole if the OP isn't familiar with using them properly.

But I guess if the OP needs to pay the tuition to DIY school, this is as good as any to incur those fees.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-11-22, 04:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
If you manage to get old French pedals or cranks from the 60's or 70's, they're very close to the standard 9/16 pedals, and will cause all sorts of headaches.

As mentioned above, remember for pedals it is right side, right thread, left side, left thread.

For bottom brackets it is just the opposite, right side, left thread, and left side, right thread (with a few more specialty variations than the pedals).

I presume one of the reasons the threads get bungled is that people overtighten the left side trying to remove the pedals.

Always hand tighten screws until you get several turns before grabbing for the wrenches. Sometimes turning backwards a couple of turns will help you orient the shaft before threading it in.

If pedals have stripped the threads, then make sure the threads are super-clean before reusing.

A good shop may be able to helicoil stripped crank threads, but for a cheap bike, doing so may be more expensive than just replacing the crank. Nonetheless, a good helicoil job should be permanent, and might be better than new.
Old 05-12-22, 11:19 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Look for the "L" and "R" stampings on the pedal axles.
If you have an old Peugeot or Gitane with Lyotard pedals, it could be stamped "D" and "G."

So, to answer your question ...

Are there different thread pitches to pedals and crank arms?
​​​​​​​
Yes.
Old 05-12-22, 11:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Are there different thread pitches and shaft sizes to pedals and crank arms, or is it universal? I'm winding up with crossed/stripped threads. When I search on google for crank arms and pedals, they always come separate. My pedal fell off, the threads were all stripped inside the crank arm. I put a new crank arm on with the same pedal, and I coiuldn't get the pedal on the crank arm without crossing the threads. How do I stop this from happening?
Tell us all you can about the bike (manufacturer, model, year), the cranks and the pedals. Pictures will be a help. As said above, there is more than one pedal thread standard. Most bikes now stick to the common standard but older French and (I believe) US bikes had different standards.
Old 05-12-22, 11:43 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
based on pic in the other thread the bike is lower end diamondback, with square taper bottom bracket. It is would be amazing if it was anything other than standard 9/16 size pedals.

OP needs to
  1. replace cranks or
  2. get helicoil job done
  3. find a bike mechanics class to to take or watch in detail how to videos before touching another thing on the bike
  4. find a way to work with bike not upside down, can just hang from a pair of ropes. this will make all things easier

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-12-22, 01:33 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It's likely that the threads on the pedal spindle are filled with leftover aluminum from the first damaged crank and this is preventing the threads from properly engaging with the crank threads. Use a file or needlenose pliers or the like to get all that crap out of the threads before you try to thread it in again.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 05-12-22, 02:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts
...I like your username, but this is clearly user error.
Old 05-12-22, 02:11 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
4. find a way to work with bike not upside down, can just hang from a pair of ropes. this will make all things easier
My go-to strategy when I don't have a proper bike stand is to hook the nose of the saddle over a tree branch or rafter or whatever overhead item I have handy. As long as the front wheel is on, the bike will be balanced with the front down and this will keep it from falling. You can also wrap some rope or other tying material around the seatpost and whatever the saddle is hanging on to further stabilize it.
Old 05-12-22, 08:39 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If you have an old Peugeot or Gitane with Lyotard pedals, it could be stamped "D" and "G."

Yes.
Back in the days of the TdG and the early years of ToC, and a lot of the other big races there would be a 'talker' in the Commissaire's car that told everyone in the team cars what was coming up over Radio Tour. Hour after hour of 'Virage a Droit' or 'Virage a Gauche'.
Old 05-13-22, 12:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

​​​​​​​
Yes.
If the pedals are Italian, you may get "D" for Destra and "S" for Sinistra. However, I believe they all have the 9/16 x 20tpi, even though other parts had bizarre thread combinations.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-13-22, 09:02 AM
smd4

His bike's a Diamondback. I'd bet 5 dollars he doesn't have Italian or French pedals.
Old 05-13-22, 10:56 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
His bike's a Diamondback. I'd bet 5 dollars he doesn't have Italian or French pedals.
Give me odds, and you're on!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.