Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Grocery run on vintage bikes.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Grocery run on vintage bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 04:41 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Nice rig! What kind of trailer?
Do we have a thread somewhere on CV friendly trailers?
Likes For Slowride79:
Old 04-22-22, 04:45 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,689 Times in 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79
Nice rig! What kind of trailer?
Do we have a thread somewhere on CV friendly trailers?
That’s a Burley Flatbed Cargo trailer. Not necessarily C&V!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-22-22, 04:50 PM
LanceRides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts

Not groceries, but a lot of lumber!
That's my 1980 Trek 412
You can see one piece of wood was first secured to the rack as an extension, then the wood I was buying was dropped into the pannier and tied to the rack extension.
Old 04-22-22, 06:14 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by LanceRides
Not groceries, but a lot of lumber!
That's my 1980 Trek 412
You can see one piece of wood was first secured to the rack as an extension, then the wood I was buying was dropped into the pannier and tied to the rack extension.
... but can you get through a doorway??

I've wondered about similar methods as a means of carting cross-country skis and poles on a bike. Definitely food for thought!

Steve in Peoria (not getting as many good XC skiing days as we used to)
Old 04-22-22, 07:13 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
Old 04-22-22, 08:47 PM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lonesomesteve

What bag is that in your BOB trailer? I towed a BOB on a long tour years ago and have rarely used the trailer since... but I use the original BOB bag to hold our camping equipment and it gets out regularly.
Old 04-22-22, 08:59 PM
Bug Shield

I am happy to report that the vast majority of our family groceries arrive by bike these days.

Here's my 1983 Nishiki Seral touring bike with a four-pannier load.

We haul groceries about once a week using our tandem as well but it's not C&V. A few weeks ago after a big spike in fuel prices I was waiting outside with the bike while my wife did the shopping. While waiting two-couples arrived by bike with apparently similar intentions!
Old 04-22-22, 09:19 PM
Bug Shield

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
From January 3rd, I made a quick trip to the nearby Schnucks store. Schnucks is a small chain based in St. Louis, but this is located up north in Peoria, IL.
I can't recall whether they installed the bike rack when they built the place, or if I requested it. Either way, I do appreciate it!

Hi, Steve. Do you lock your bike while parked like this and if so, how? Long cable or chain? I park beside this type of rack so that I can catch the chainstays or seatstays with a u-lock but that leaves the front end floppy which can complicate the loading process unless I secure the front wheel. I anxiously await enlightenment!
Likes For Bug Shield:
Old 04-23-22, 12:02 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Bug Shield
Hi, Steve. Do you lock your bike while parked like this and if so, how? Long cable or chain? I park beside this type of rack so that I can catch the chainstays or seatstays with a u-lock but that leaves the front end floppy which can complicate the loading process unless I secure the front wheel. I anxiously await enlightenment!
I Sometimes use the same type of rack and it's a real balancing act either way for me. Steve and my city... Peoria IL, is not a hotbed of bicycle thieves fortunately.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-23-22, 05:49 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts

Gazelle opafiets.
Old 04-23-22, 06:43 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
As Russell notes, the theft risk is not too high.
For most errands of this type, I usually bring a thin cable lock that is about 6 feet long.
Sometimes, if I expect to be in the building for a while, I might bring the U lock to use in addition to the cable lock. I've also got a long chain that I used to keep at the bike rack at work, but it's been a while since that's been used.

The issue of the bike tipping while loading is a concern, though. I generally like the idea of putting the rear wheel in the rack, but I've had issues of interference with the bike's rear rack. There are also issues of unintended stress on the fender. Putting the front wheel in the rack avoids those particular problems, but then the wheel can pivot when putting stuff in the panniers. Given a choice, I do like the idea of just leaning the bike against a rack or building.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-23-22, 06:59 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Reading some of the earlier comments and questions makes me appreciate my decision to step out of the C&V world and go with a modern omafiets for my "go get stuff" bike. For one it's got a sturdy two legged kickstand so that the bike stays upright and steady as you load it down. On the Azor's they made a genius move and have the front rack mounted to the frames so that it does not effect front handling at all. It's also removable in a few seconds if you don't need it. Steering stabilizer also for the front. Then it's got a bit in wheel lock for the rear that retains the key until you lock it. So no misplacing your key. There's port in the side for a supplied long chain too for even more security. Then on top of that you have a 40+ lb bike that no one is just going to grab quick and run away with. When I hit the store here I just park it by the curb at the front of the store and lock the rear. The step through design means no trying to swing a rear leg high over the rear to clear packages or no leaning the bike way over to mount while stuff falls out of your bags. I'd say other than having a trailer it's the best setup. Wish I had did it years ago.
Old 04-23-22, 07:39 AM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
What bag is that in your BOB trailer? I towed a BOB on a long tour years ago and have rarely used the trailer since... but I use the original BOB bag to hold our camping equipment and it gets out regularly.
That's something I bought a few years ago while in Kathmandu, Nepal. Unfortunately that's probably the only place you'll find one just like it. It's not really North Face. It's a knock off, probably made by hand in the shop where I bought it.
Likes For lonesomesteve:
Old 04-23-22, 12:28 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Reading some of the earlier comments and questions makes me appreciate my decision to step out of the C&V world and go with a modern omafiets for my "go get stuff" bike. For one it's got a sturdy two legged kickstand so that the bike stays upright and steady as you load it down. On the Azor's they made a genius move and have the front rack mounted to the frames so that it does not effect front handling at all. It's also removable in a few seconds if you don't need it. Steering stabilizer also for the front. Then it's got a bit in wheel lock for the rear that retains the key until you lock it. So no misplacing your key. There's port in the side for a supplied long chain too for even more security. Then on top of that you have a 40+ lb bike that no one is just going to grab quick and run away with. When I hit the store here I just park it by the curb at the front of the store and lock the rear. The step through design means no trying to swing a rear leg high over the rear to clear packages or no leaning the bike way over to mount while stuff falls out of your bags. I'd say other than having a trailer it's the best setup. Wish I had did it years ago.
We need a pic. Sounds awesome.
Old 04-23-22, 02:46 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
We need a pic. Sounds awesome.
There's a full post with detailed info and pic here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ke-review.html

How I usually run it.

By coincidence I took this over to a friend's place today to help her with a bike trailer issue and flatted the front on the way home. One goathead proved too much for the Stan's Sealant I had in the tire. I do wish I had selected Schwalbe Marathons for this and will be switching some in soon. Second flat on this despite sealant.
Old 06-04-22, 04:19 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Let’s see a watermelon in your Panniers.

Carry Freedom trailer with diy box pulled by 78 GJ with Deore triple and rear derailleur.
Old 06-04-22, 04:33 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
I biked to the farmers market this morning. Should have added a pannier, but the HB bag holds a lot.
-J

Old 06-04-22, 05:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
You guys all kick ass. I wish I saw more folks doing this. Usually people act like I'm homeless when I do it.
I ride 9 miles intown every Sat morning to the farmer's market, usually on my 49 yo Competition (fenders, LowRider and Blackburn rear, small Ortliebs front and rear, U-lock, drop bars and CX levers). 500+' of climbing coming home.

So bike's a mix of very vintage to kinda modern (Tekto levers ...) but I do my best to not bring home any vintage produce.

And the trick to not being mistaken as homeless? The dress. Full cycling gear including a jersey of colors no motorist will ever miss plus riding shoes (modified to be good walkers) and bright helmet. (The hill coming home on a loaded bike rates the appropriate outfit. Jeans and a workshirt just don't cut it.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-04-22, 06:16 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts

Old 06-04-22, 07:29 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Kuwahara Sage - the Wise ol' bickicle

You can see the bike hitched up beside others at different grocery stores on different days. I usually add photos of noteworthy bikes spotted on grocery runs etc in the Spotted in the Wild thread.

Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 06-04-22, 09:53 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
night run for okonomoyaki and beers

Likes For Soody:
Old 06-04-22, 10:12 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
On Voyageur

I recently finished and pressed into service this 1990 (or maybe 1991) Schwinn Voyageur. It came to me absent a rear axle, with boogered bottom bracket, and rusty and unserviced, but at $60 delivered it was an easy buy. I happened to have the exact axle from a trashed wheel, and the right size UN55 I had bought for another project. I added the racks, a Blackburn from my '64 Paramount, and steel through blade Salsa lowriders. It rides well on Swift Sand Canyons.

When a "bike" showed up on FB Marketplace for $30, which looked to be of quality, and not of my size, I sort of had to buy it. I paid $40 Because he held it for me. It turns out to be likely an '88 Specialized Sirrus which had not been drewed, but was single speeded, powder coat murdered out and in fine shape and two centimeters too small. But I bought it anyway. It was only 95F, and I'd only ridden 7 miles to see it, so what the heck, right? (There's a new member here in ILM who rides that size and might like it for the original $30? I would keep everything but the Headset. (NB: This is NOT an attempt to sell, but rather an attempt at justifying to no one but myself, the purchase of a bike I don't need and that doesn't fit me. <sigh emoji> Progress Not Perfection. One Slip Is Not A Relapse.) There will be further exposition on the Sirrus in the Catch of The Day Thread, maybe? I've lost count of how many bikes I've brought home in this manner. Maybe five or six, or a dozen? Maybe more?

I rode the long way home, and in an effort to balance out the load, filled the front Arkel 24s with groceries from Aldis. Their capacity never ceases to amaze me, and they come off and on so easily I can take them into Aldis as my bags. They also fit neatly in my Arkel 42s, and in the craps sacks held together by duct tape that are on there in the photo.

The Voyageur rides really well with forty pounds on the rear and thirty or so upfront. The 90-91 Voyageur is regarded with some dismissiveness, which is unwarranted in my opinion. It's no Odyssey, but neither is any year of Voyageur, in my experience. Perhaps more on this in the Voyageur thread?

But it was a grocery run? I have not used a motorized vehicle to procure Groceries in almost a decade. On Sunday I typically do a 25 mile loop to pick up Rau Ram, fresh tortilla and churros, and what have you. And it never dropped below 90F the entire ride.

I do try not to die. Really, I do.

Edit: 1964 Paramount P-13 pressed into service as a Grocery Getter, (and why I got me some Fancy Pants Panniers. One night, as I pulled into my driveway, a can got free and wedged into the rear wheel, irreversibly taco-ing it. Panniers rule.)

Last edited by machinist42; 06-04-22 at 10:48 PM. Reason: I do not recall, to the best of my memory, I don't know.
Likes For machinist42:
Old 06-05-22, 12:35 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Do beer runs count?

Likes For gaucho777:
Old 06-05-22, 01:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Do beer runs count?

They do in my book.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-05-22, 12:09 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
The Super Mirage errand schlepper

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.