Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

7-Eleven Corsa Extra: Best looking 1980s bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

7-Eleven Corsa Extra: Best looking 1980s bike?

Old 06-10-22, 10:47 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Put me in the "love 'em" category (and yes, I know taking a picture with the right brake lever in the "open" position is poor form):
Please, someone, tell me: why a triple crank on a sleek racing machine? c'mon just take the 52 off and run, say, 42-30 or so. Blasphemy!

Last edited by tendency; 06-10-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-10-22, 11:20 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Please, someone, tell me: why a triple crank on a sleek racing machine? c'mon just take the 52 off and run, say, 42-30 or so. Blasphemy!
I can only give you my reason(s):
Legs, Age, Lungs, Heart, Lazy, Tired, Alcohol, Parts on hand

The explanation is partially supported below.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 06-10-22 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 06-10-22, 11:30 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
The rider wants more gearing? More importantly a small 3rd ring looks more stealthy than a big pie plate rear cluster. The bike still looks fast.

There will come a day when you also will seek lower gearing on your sleek racing machines. You'll dream about all the possibilities with 110/74, 130/86, and other 3X BCD, then take the plunge.

Last edited by seypat; 06-10-22 at 11:40 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-10-22, 11:30 AM
seypat

Put me in the "love 'em" category (and yes, I know taking a picture with the right brake lever in the "open" position is poor form):
Hot!
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-10-22, 12:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I can only give you my reason(s):
Legs
Heart
Lazy
Tired
Alcohol
Parts on hand
Don't forget "knees" and "because I can". I have a 54-44-32 crankset I tried to put on this bike, but the FD braze-on just wasn't high enough. If I can ever get out the Octalink BB (it's gritty, it's not just that it's Octalink) that's stuck in my 1996 Merckx Titanium EX frame (didn't check before buying and waited too long to return because I thought my LBS could get it out), that triple is going to be mounted on there (along with an 11-25 cassette). Not that I have any need for a 54-11 combo, but I like to dream. Triples let me go fast (especially when I'm riding on Zwift when I don't have to worry about things like safety on descents/corners), but still let me ride the hills around me without dying.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-10-22, 01:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
I can't speak to the paintwork - the original owner resprayed this one - smoothest bike I have ever ridden tho. And I've owned 2.

I always thought this was the prettiest, but a sucker for nice striping & cutout lugs.

apologies for fuzzy.
Old 06-10-22, 02:35 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
If I can ever get out the Octalink BB (it's gritty, it's not just that it's Octalink) that's stuck in my 1996 Merckx Titanium EX frame (didn't check before buying and waited too long to return because I thought my LBS could get it out), that triple is going to be mounted on there (along with an 11-25 cassette).
I'll get it out for you and send it back.
The bottom bracket. Bike stays.
Old 06-10-22, 05:05 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I'll get it out for you and send it back.
The bottom bracket. Bike stays.
I wish it were that simple. I'd pay good money if someone were able to get it out. Told my local shop to call me if the bill was going to go much over a couple hundred bucks to get it out (he ended up not charging me after he gave up after having it for a couple months) and have written Litespeed (who built it on contract for Merckx) if they would cut out/replace the BB shell and what it would cost (they said that they could in theory, but were currently too busy - this was a year ago - and declined to give an estimated cost, which I took to mean they didn't think it was worth it and/or if I had to ask I couldn't afford it). At the advice of some folks here, it's currently soaking with a mixture of ATF/Acetone and I'll hit it with some heat tomorrow, add some more, and then try to jar it loose (BB tool screwed into BB with Pedro's locking too, then long wrench, whack it with a mallet).
Old 06-10-22, 05:26 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
I wish it were that simple. I'd pay good money if someone were able to get it out. Told my local shop to call me if the bill was going to go much over a couple hundred bucks to get it out (he ended up not charging me after he gave up after having it for a couple months) and have written Litespeed (who built it on contract for Merckx) if they would cut out/replace the BB shell and what it would cost (they said that they could in theory, but were currently too busy - this was a year ago - and declined to give an estimated cost, which I took to mean they didn't think it was worth it and/or if I had to ask I couldn't afford it). At the advice of some folks here, it's currently soaking with a mixture of ATF/Acetone and I'll hit it with some heat tomorrow, add some more, and then try to jar it loose (BB tool screwed into BB with Pedro's locking too, then long wrench, whack it with a mallet).
Contact Paul Brodie: fussyframebuilder@gmail.com - he's a genius with bicycle and metal fabrication and may - if you're lucky - help you out (though he is retired). Good luck!
Old 06-10-22, 06:20 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Was the 1989 7-Eleven team bike built by Eddy Merckx the best looking, most iconic 1980s road racing bike ever?
<...>
Discuss.
Uh ... iconic ???

This is iconic

4 Tours
2 Giri
2 Vueltas
2 World Championships
2 Dauphine Libere
2 Criterium International
Paris Roubaix
Liege Bastogne Liege
Giro di Lombardia
Tour of Romandie
Fleche Wallonne
Amstel Gold

Iconic.
Likes For sincos:
Old 06-10-22, 07:42 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Those bikes are “iconic?” I can’t even tell what the first one is.
Old 06-10-22, 08:03 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Those bikes are “iconic?” I can’t even tell what the first one is.
Hinault 1980

Best looking 1980s bike:
Saronni

Last edited by BFisher; 06-10-22 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-10-22, 08:09 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by BFisher
Thanks. Cool link (no pun intended).

The riders may be iconic, but certainly not the bikes— the subject of this thread.
Old 06-10-22, 08:15 PM
BFisher

Thanks. Cool link (no pun intended).

The riders may be iconic, but certainly not the bikes— the subject of this thread.
Speaking of subject...
Old 06-10-22, 08:21 PM
smd4

The Saronni link doesn’t work.
Old 06-10-22, 08:24 PM
BFisher

The Saronni link doesn’t work.
Yeah, it's an odd thing that happens on BF. I attached both links the same. If you click on it and it won't show, just go to the address bar and delete everything before the "www" and then proceed. It should work after that. The hows and the whys are outside my wheelhouse.
Old 06-10-22, 09:02 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Iconic, yes. "Most iconic"? Maybe, but mostly to North Americans. Best looking? No; not in my opinion. The Panasonic Team had the better colorway:

Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 06-11-22, 08:18 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 303 Posts
I am biased maybe... And in love.

1987 X4 - but if it has to be a team bike add some black and get an "Argentin"

Likes For styggno1:
Old 06-11-22, 11:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Iconic, yes. "Most iconic"? Maybe, but mostly to North Americans. Best looking? No; not in my opinion. The Panasonic Team had the better colorway:
The one I own looked like that before original owner had CyclArt repaint.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-11-22 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-11-22, 11:42 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
My only issue with it is the lack of chromed fork and stays. To me, that's the epitome of high end 80's bike looks.
As @non-fixie says, it's a 753 thing (re both the team Raliegh and La Vie Claire Look). Reynolds did not recommend chroming 753 tubes, though a few people tried.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 06-11-22, 12:25 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
There is a saying red and green should only be seen upon an Irish queen, so for that reason I'm out

I've got a Team Panasonic Merckx with full chrome front and rear that I've got running more modern 10 speed and 28c tyres, so not strictly 80's but think it still looks classic/vintage.

And I'm lucky enough to have one of the rarer Merckx 753's that did have chrome fork and partially chromed seat and chain stays, in the similarly rare green and white colour scheme. Apart from the modern wide Pacecnti Brevet rims this one is full 80's, with 1st gen Chorus 7 speed, Croce D'Aune hubs and down tube. shifters. and pedals with straps.

So I'm fine with the Merckx green, but the Merckx red should be on a different bike IMO
Old 06-11-22, 01:42 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Yeah, it's an odd thing that happens on BF. I attached both links the same. If you click on it and it won't show, just go to the address bar and delete everything before the "www" and then proceed. It should work after that. The hows and the whys are outside my wheelhouse.
This site defaults any embedded links to "https" (emphasis on the "s") regardless of whether the link is secure or not. If the linked site does not use TLS/SSL, as is often the case with older sites or blogs, the link may not resolve. You only need to delete the "s" after "http" for the link to work.

[Insert "The More You Know" GIF here]

EDIT: Just noticed there is a drop-down menu that lets you choose between "http" and "https" (among other protocols) when embedding a link.

Last edited by ManekiNico; 06-11-22 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added information
Likes For ManekiNico:
Old 06-11-22, 02:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by botty kayer
There is a saying red and green should only be seen upon an Irish queen, so for that reason I'm out

I've got a Team Panasonic Merckx with full chrome front and rear that I've got running more modern 10 speed and 28c tyres, so not strictly 80's but think it still looks classic/vintage.

And I'm lucky enough to have one of the rarer Merckx 753's that did have chrome fork and partially chromed seat and chain stays, in the similarly rare green and white colour scheme. Apart from the modern wide Pacecnti Brevet rims this one is full 80's, with 1st gen Chorus 7 speed, Croce D'Aune hubs and down tube. shifters. and pedals with straps.

So I'm fine with the Merckx green, but the Merckx red should be on a different bike IMO
There may be some Merckx differences for European/UK models.
The first one I owned (SLX) was from Belgium with the chrome fork. Also a race number hanger brazed on.
Here's the only pic i've got quickly
(wish I could find the file for that bike)
Old 06-11-22, 02:08 PM
seypat

Have you tried BB tool mounted vertically in vise? Attach BB/frame in a horizontal position. Then 2-3 people grab frame at various points and turn it horizontally.
Old 06-11-22, 02:15 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by seypat
Have you tried BB tool mounted vertically in vise? Attach BB/frame in a horizontal position. Then 2-3 people grab frame at various points and turn it horizontally.
The shop I took it to claims to have tried that. I don't have a permanently mounted vice, so I haven't tried it myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.