Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fitting 135mm Bionx hub into 130mm

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-13-22, 06:11 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

I bought a recumbent. It is an old Catrike 700. I want to turn it into an EV.

The Bionx electric bike system is 135mm. The dropouts on the Catrike is 130mm. Any way to make this work? It has a disc brake mount but if I could somehow remove it that would save enough space. Or maybe a shorter freewheel?
Old 06-13-22, 07:24 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The freewheel makes no difference. The space between the axle locknuts is fixed. Is the frame steel or aluminum? A steel frame can be cold set for a wider rear wheel, aluminum not so much. If the chainstays are long enough you could wedge the wheel in place. The disc brake mount also doesn't affect how easy it is to use that wheel.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-13-22, 08:13 PM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 32 Posts
i think researching the bafang hub motors : they offer both a cassette rear wheel and a freewheel wheel kit. i think the spacing for the freewheel version is narrower and i see on the e-bike forums some people have dropped from 7-speed to 6-speed freewheels to get an even narrower spacing . let us know what you end up going with and what you find out in the process
Old 06-13-22, 08:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Bionix is long gone, the company went out of business quite a while ago. I wouldn't bother with that system it is a lot of work to put on an outdated system with no support from the company.

Plenty of new recumbents that are set up with e-assist already which will be more reliable but if you are desperate for a kit, ebikes.ca is a more reasonable resources for that stuff however those kits won't have the support of say Bosch or Shimano. However keep in mind cable rim brakes aren't really great for e-assist. Disc Brakes are pretty handy for e-bikes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-14-22, 02:37 PM
adlai

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The freewheel makes no difference. The space between the axle locknuts is fixed. Is the frame steel or aluminum? A steel frame can be cold set for a wider rear wheel, aluminum not so much. If the chainstays are long enough you could wedge the wheel in place. The disc brake mount also doesn't affect how easy it is to use that wheel.
Looks like a aluminum system. Oh well, I guess I'll just make it into a normal recumbent.

I like the bionx system a lot because of the Regen brake. It is very heavy though. I thought it would be great for a recumbent. It is currently on a road bike but the weight makes it pretty uncomfortable. I think I'll move it to a suspension MTB
Old 06-14-22, 06:27 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
Go with a front hub motor. You will need to file out the drop outs to 10mm and use a good torque arm.
Old 06-14-22, 09:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Looks like a aluminum system. Oh well, I guess I'll just make it into a normal recumbent.

I like the bionx system a lot because of the Regen brake. It is very heavy though. I thought it would be great for a recumbent. It is currently on a road bike but the weight makes it pretty uncomfortable. I think I'll move it to a suspension MTB
Regen brakes don't do anything. Essentially it makes the bike extra hard to pedal and that is about it imagine trying to charge the batteries from a little phone charger like my Goal Zero Flip 12 it won't give you much. On all the regen stuff I have ridden and seen you really don't get much back from the system as the bike weighs nearly nothing in comparison to say a car which actually generates something decent. It is a cool concept but not yet ready for bikes yet and with bikes getting lighter it is unlikely it will happen at least not in current form.

I would just sell off the system to a vintage kit collector or someone who wants spare parts and go with something more modern. You will be much happier and if you get one of the "decent"ish kits you will have potentially better support for a while or if you buy a complete e-bike you can get excellent support depending on the motor brand.
Old 06-16-22, 12:11 AM
Rick

[QUOTE][I like the bionx system a lot because of the Regen brake. It is very heavy though. I thought it would be great for a recumbent. It is currently on a road bike but the weight makes it pretty uncomfortable. I think I'll move it to a suspension MTB/QUOTE]

The Bionx Can be setup to use anybodies controller and battery's.
: ebikes.ca has a video telling how to set it up. If you use Grinn's controller you can get rid of the motor drag also.
Old 06-16-22, 08:57 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Yes you can fix a Bionx hub to use a generic controller, but you wont have regen unless the controller supports it.

Really, get a newer wheel. If the Bionx works, you can sell parts to someone whose system died.

-SP
Old 06-19-22, 06:41 PM
Rick

Yes you can fix a Bionx hub to use a generic controller, but you wont have regen unless the controller supports it.

Really, get a newer wheel. If the Bionx works, you can sell parts to someone whose system died.

-SP
Grinn has controllers that work with regen and get rid of the motor drag. It is only money,