Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Calfee Tetra Pro ready for it's maiden ride.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Calfee Tetra Pro ready for it's maiden ride.

Old 06-03-22, 12:25 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Headwind in both directions? And I thought it was just me!
Right!! I have a lot of flags and such on my normal route that is basically one big loop. I use them routinely to judge wind direction. I swear there are days when the flags are telling me the headwinds are shifting direction with me each time I change direction.
Old 06-06-22, 07:10 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Took this back out yesterday and I just cannot get speed out of it. Feels like it's fighting me at each pedal stroke. 12 miles into the route I've got the slowest portion done and yesterday I hit it at a 18.6 mph ave pace. The day was totally calm. Normally that means and easy 'nother 12 miles to get the pace into the 19 mph range. But not yesterday. Just can't get and keep any real speed going. I need to look closer at the used cassette I put on this, maybe I've got some wear issues going on. I finished the ride at 18.5 mph avg and it felt like my hardest ride of the year. In contrast, the previous day I was out on the Coppi and that bike felt so light and responsive under me with each pedal stroke. I did a whole lot of stopping to take pictures on this ride yet each time I took back off the Coppi leaped to speed. I even ran the Coppi up above 28 mph and then held it above 25 mph for awhile. It was just cruising at those speeds. Never even saw those kinds of speed on the Calfee. Not sure what to think of this one...
Old 06-13-22, 07:44 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Took this back out yesterday and I just cannot get speed out of it. Feels like it's fighting me at each pedal stroke. 12 miles into the route I've got the slowest portion done and yesterday I hit it at a 18.6 mph ave pace. The day was totally calm. Normally that means and easy 'nother 12 miles to get the pace into the 19 mph range. But not yesterday. Just can't get and keep any real speed going. I need to look closer at the used cassette I put on this, maybe I've got some wear issues going on. I finished the ride at 18.5 mph avg and it felt like my hardest ride of the year. In contrast, the previous day I was out on the Coppi and that bike felt so light and responsive under me with each pedal stroke. I did a whole lot of stopping to take pictures on this ride yet each time I took back off the Coppi leaped to speed. I even ran the Coppi up above 28 mph and then held it above 25 mph for awhile. It was just cruising at those speeds. Never even saw those kinds of speed on the Calfee. Not sure what to think of this one...
OK, this just doesn't make sense. Both of mine feel nothing like that. Hitting average speeds just feels easier on my Calfees, and they seem to leap forward with each pedal turn.

Is anything rubbing? Are you sure the wheels are aligned? Maybe the BB?
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 06-13-22, 10:17 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
These are some beautiful bikes. I briefly looked at a couple of them but eventually decided that my budget couldn't fit them (even used). Still have dreams that I'll stumble across one I can afford at some point.
Old 06-14-22, 03:52 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
OK, this just doesn't make sense. Both of mine feel nothing like that. Hitting average speeds just feels easier on my Calfees, and they seem to leap forward with each pedal turn.

Is anything rubbing? Are you sure the wheels are aligned? Maybe the BB?
Had it back out again Saturday and it was more of the same. Really doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure there's something mechanical I'm missing. The BB is a brand new Phil Woods so I can't see that being the issue. First thing is I do need to try a different set of wheels. The Reynolds seem fine and I did have the LBS go over them. But still I need to try a different wheel/tire combo on this.
Old 06-15-22, 09:47 AM
jamesdak 

Hmmm... may have found the problem. Some play in the rear hub (bearings?) when I started going over things. When I went to pull off the rear I found that the spring for the QR had actually worked it's way inside the end cap on the non drive side. That's an issue for sure. So, maybe two issues with the rear. Even with the QR removed I still feel some play in the rear. I also have to wonder if the endcap is jacked up now, maybe a bit galled up inside from the spring getting in there. I've never seen that happen.

Anyway I've got the Kyseriums back on it right now and plan to take it out shortly to see if it feels different.
Old 06-15-22, 12:57 PM
jamesdak 

Well, it does appear to be something with the Reynolds wheel setup. Got out this morning with the other wheelset and right away the bike felt totally different. They're tearing up pavement by the house so I had to go about a mile or so before I started the clock and got on it. By mile 4 I was running a 20.8 mph avg without really working, it was a bit cold then and messing with my lungs but no wind. Shortly after swirling winds kicked in that would effect the rest of the ride. Hit the turn around point at a respectable 18.9 mph avg while having to slow a while to pass around a bunch of slow riders and after dealing with some headwinds. The cold got my asthmatic lungs and the HR was up a bit, I was working. On the way back in various segments I was running in the 21-22 mph range into headwinds with no real problems. I would have been working hard to do that with the other wheels. Got held up again by some riders and runners in the way. Final miles I went just hard enough to keep the Garmin showing a 19.0 avg. Shut it down right around the 24 mile mark as I was heading back into the construction zone. Anyway, glad to get this monkey off my bike. This was definitely not a clean run but it still make the 19 mph avg. I didn't even spend all that much time in the drops today trying to be aero.

You can see when the winds started going on the way out as the speed dropped. Stopped at the turn around point to talk to a group of local riders for a minute.

These are the wheels/tires I ran but with two alloy bottle cages now. 18 lbs, 4 ozs.

Last edited by jamesdak; 06-20-22 at 08:25 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 06-20-22, 07:38 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,037 Posts
Ok this makes sense!
Glad to hear that you figured this out. Now that bike can really shine.
Old 06-20-22, 09:46 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
It looks better with the Mavics anyway. (And the setback Campy post)
Old 10-15-22, 03:56 PM
jamesdak 

Well, I still haven't been truly happy with this one. It showed it's got some speed but just hasn't dazzled me as expected. Last week I put a new set of Campagnolo Zonda wheels on this with the same GP 5000 700 x 25 I've had on the other wheels. From the start today if felt like a different bike, lighter and more "alive". Good pace the first 10 miles without really working at it and then had a headwind start up on my return leg that just continued to build. Had to fight the wind but didn't go all out. Managed to pull in a 19.2 mph avg despite the wind and had to slow several times for groups of riders in the way. The proof is in the pudding, Zonda's just make any bike feel better!

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-17-22 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For jamesdak: