Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Nomenclature

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 01:13 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
CH2COOH
I think you are missing a hydrogen in acetic acid, (or you have some valence-violating compound that probably is completely unstable).
Old 06-16-22, 01:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Brands and Logos all over look tacky to me. I removed the labels on my wheels and wish I could do the same on all the parts. If I was ever to get a custom bike made, it might have one small identifier on the top tube, but no other labeling.
I have a wheel-set that was hand-built by a professional wheel-builder, and sadly he passed away before I got the wheels. In this case, I wanted to make sure I had his signature logo on the wheel-set to honor his memory.
Old 06-16-22, 02:02 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Well, since he didn't say he was doing that, he most likely isn't. But feel free to assume the worst about everyone; just like my mother.
Not thinking the worst, I think thats a really cool idea
Old 06-16-22, 04:16 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Hmmmm... I wonder why?
Unlike you, I don’t equate “like” with “adoration.”
Old 06-16-22, 07:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It could be the "Open/Close" markings on a quick release.
I would think few things are as disconcerting as being able to read “Open” on a quick release skewer.

John
Old 06-16-22, 07:48 PM
smd4

only while you’re riding.
Old 06-16-22, 08:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
only while you’re riding.
Very true.

John
Old 06-16-22, 09:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I like lettering on my bike. I like the words “Dura Ace” on all the components; I like “Planet Bike” on my water bottle cages; I like the various Columbus decals. Cinelli in gold on my toe straps. Lettering on the brake and shift cable housing. The various sponsor racing decals. I even enjoy having the small white manufacturing info on my chainring bolts. I dig any information stamped into my parts.
Anyone else enjoy having this visible information?
I don't seek out branding and lettering and for the most part, don't work hard to avoid them. Garish and I would probably buy something else. Rarely cover up or remove stuff. But when I repaint a bike, it better have lived up to its name to get decals for that second time around. My Peter Mooney got fresh lettering for both paint jobs. My Raleigh Competition with its near non-existent original braze, no, It's just powder-coat black. Rim labels stay on until they look ragged, then they go. (But I've never owned a garish wheelset,)

Now, that Selle Italia seat of a previous poster here? I have a soft spot for that company's seats; having ridden many thousands of miles on them but I'd have to be pretty desperate to ride that one.
Old 06-16-22, 09:52 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Why don't you tell me the correct word, since you clearly know everything. And don't just say "branding," because that's not necessarily what it is.
I believe that since you are describing all of the brand names that you find on the various components of your bicycle, which are there to help differentiate said component from other similar components of a different maker, that 'branding' would indeed be the correct nomenclature.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 06-16-22, 10:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
'branding' would indeed be the correct nomenclature.
Well done!
Old 06-16-22, 10:16 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
No. In fact, I’ve been known to remove such markings on certain products that go on my bikes. I do it on certain clothing. On my Levi’s denim jeans for example…I remove the orange tag on the back pocket, and the faux leather tag sewn into the exterior waistband. If a company wants me to be their advertising mule, they can pay me, or give me the item for free.

Dan
Are you a 32-year-old cool hunter in 2002 named Cayce Pollard who carefully ground the Levis branded metal buttons on those jeans down to be featureless and smooth to avoid being triggered?
Old 06-17-22, 07:49 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
I like the lettering on my car. I like the words Goodyear on all the tires; I like the words Mobile 1 on my oil filter. I like the various chrome model badgings on the fenders. I like the lettering on the radiator and brake hoses. I like the various bumper stickers that show all of the places I've been. I even enjoy having the small white manufacturing sticker on the doorjamb when I open the door that tells me the date of the manufacture of the car and the max PSI for the tires. And I dig any information stamped into the various metal parts on my car when I open the hood.

Old 06-17-22, 08:52 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by prj71
I like the lettering on my car. I like the words Goodyear on all the tires; I like the words Mobile 1 on my oil filter. I like the various chrome model badgings on the fenders. I like the lettering on the radiator and brake hoses. I like the various bumper stickers that show all of the places I've been. I even enjoy having the small white manufacturing sticker on the doorjamb when I open the door that tells me the date of the manufacture of the car and the max PSI for the tires. And I dig any information stamped into the various metal parts on my car when I open the hood.

Your proliferation of posts in this thread makes me think you actually do like all the nomenclature, and are just afraid to admit it.

BTW, ever figure out how much air your tires gain between rides? Talk about a stupid topic...

Last edited by smd4; 06-17-22 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-17-22, 09:33 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Isn't that just branding? Isn't nomenclature just the names we give parts? Like wheels, pedals, chain stays?
In world of words only, not knowing what they mean is priceless ^
Old 06-17-22, 03:09 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Cool that you like what you're riding. Nothing wrong with admiring your bicycle!

Myself, I prefer branding to be discreet - engraving or raised lettering on metal parts, as was traditional, or small-scale logos, badges or lettering. Preferably on a single color or tu-tone paint scheme. Pin-striping and lug-lining are fine, and also traditional, as is a brand name on the down tube.

Giant CERVELO lettering can point to giant HOLDSWORTH lettering as its tradition, I suppose. IMO, giant lettering is rather crass when placed on wheels. To each his own.

I did some of my own branding:

Cheers!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 06-17-22, 03:58 PM
smd4

Very cool!
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-17-22, 04:53 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
I actually agree with the OP; I really like all the nomenclature on my bikes (apologies to all the word nazis). I love the yellow Guerciotti decal on my burgundy frame. I love the painted “T” on the chrome fork crown of my Tommasini. I love the Columbus tubing logos on my vintage seat tubes. I love the font that Waterford used for the white “Gunnar” that sits on the bike's dahlia blue down tube, and the white bullseye “G” on the bike's head tube..

These things, I think, set my bikes apart from the sea of black frames I pass on the roads.
Likes For bocobiking:
Old 06-17-22, 06:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4398 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Yeah I like bike/component branding too. If all bikes were totally un-branded with generic components it would be seriously dull. Bikes are supposed to be fun and branding adds character and creates history. For example I can't imagine Campag components without their iconic logo. How boring would that be?

I find people that go out of their way to de-brand their gear a bit weird to be honest. The guy earlier talking about cutting tags off his Levi jeans must be insane! Or was that a wind-up?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-17-22, 06:30 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I'm of the "it depends" camp. Sometimes a bike feels right plain and subtle and some times all the logo's and such enhance the look I'm going for.
Custom matching magento decals and pantographed painting really helped give this the "pink" look I was going for. The plain white frame was boring.

Same with this Concorde, sought out the yellow Campagnolo dress up bit's to "complete" the look on the bike.

The bike.

Logo and color matching

Same with the dustcap

Finishing tape to enhance the look

This one too, I took advantage of all the yellow decals and built on it. Even selecting a yellow saddle with blue logos to complete the look.

While I remove wheel decals a lot of the time I think the yellow Mavic on these matches the overall theme of the bike.

This too is quite "loud" with all the markings yet they are colored matched to the frame. I had desticker rims on this for awhile yet to me these logo'd wheels look perfect on it and allow me to show my support for the best LBS in the area.

This one I actually removed most of the decals, clean and understated works on it.

One of only two Fishlips branded road bikes made by David Kirk. The beauty of the frame up close is strong enough to stand by itself with no real marking on it.

And the sweet ol' Guv'nor is pretty cool too with nary a logo on it.

So yeah, for me it all depends on the bike and what "looking" I'm feeling with it.
Old 06-17-22, 06:50 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
I like lettering on my bike. I like the words “Dura Ace” on all the components; I like “Planet Bike” on my water bottle cages; I like the various Columbus decals. Cinelli in gold on my toe straps. Lettering on the brake and shift cable housing. The various sponsor racing decals. I even enjoy having the small white manufacturing info on my chainring bolts. I dig any information stamped into my parts.

I suppose the term here is "lettering." Do you like your clothing to be legible too?
Old 06-17-22, 06:55 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by greatbasin
I suppose the term here is "lettering." Do you like your clothing to be legible too?
Like the T-shirts I have with “lettering?” Why yes, I suppose I do prefer those to be legible. I guess you prefer your clothing to be illegible?
Old 06-17-22, 07:06 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I would like to get a bike adorned with Comic Sans. It is such a delightful font.
Old 07-02-22, 03:11 PM
smd4

Got some brake shoes from the original equipment manufacturer of my DA 7700 brakes. They are unanodized and covered with cool markings. Will install them tonight.
Old 07-07-22, 07:35 AM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
No, the fashionable and trendy repels me. You remind me of all of those Harley riders out there that have to have their favorite manufacturer's name on everything they own, some of them even name their kids after their favorite corporation.
Old 07-07-22, 05:58 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by beng1
No, the fashionable and trendy repels me. You remind me of all of those Harley riders out there that have to have their favorite manufacturer's name on everything they own, some of them even name their kids after their favorite corporation.
How dare you make fun of my little Shozaburo!!

A1989 Cinelli with 20-40 year old parts is fashionable and trendy? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.