Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wayne Evans - Quick photoshoot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-21, 12:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts

So this is another one I've never really shot. It's got a lot more battle scars than most of my bikes but is a fine ride. Picked this up years ago from Bob Fourney, a 3 time RAAM winner. He had this built in the mid 90s for a Paris Brest Paris by a builder named Wayne Evans in Denver. Beautifully made with Columbus EL OS tubing. Came to me with a mishmash of parts but rode very well. The blue painted area was chewed up by chain drop pretty bad. So I stripped it down and had a local painter fix the blue on the back end of the bike. Wanted to keep the frame as original as possible with the painted Evans and all so I didn't have the whole frame painted. Got it back and realized I had a decent Dura Ace 7700 groupset on hand so built it up with that. Swapped on some decent Mavic Kyserium SL wheels and Continental GP 4000s II 700 x 28 tires with latex tubes. I had three matching blue bottle cages on it but "stole" two of them to put on the Klein. Keep forgetting to get more.

Anyway, this mornings pics. Grass was soaking wet from a heavy frost so I stayed on the driveway to shoot this. Not the best idea, LOL!

I think the painter matched and blended the blue pretty good.

Real pretty lugs are what caught my eye initially on this.

Pretty scallops on the seatstays

Nice classic flat crown fork.

Full rear rack capable with mounts on the seatstays and the rear dropouts.

The Evans is painted on, not a decal.

Pretty lugs and man this frames must have really gleamed when it was new.

Campagnolo dropouts

9 speed goodness

Cool and unique headbadge
Old 11-13-21, 12:14 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Love the fresh blue paint

Nice little cutouts in the lugs

More lugwork

Light and strong tubing

The oilslick bottle cage bolts match the three colors on the frame

Beautiful headtube

Nice two color fork

Built to put the power down yet be comfortable

Brooks saddle and Dura Ace seatpost, mmmmmm!

Dura Ace Goodness.
Old 11-14-21, 09:11 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
That is seriously snazzy, and cool history. I must be missing the battle scars. It looks pretty pristine on my phone.
Speaking of which - do I see correctly that it has both rack mounts and fender eyelets on the back, but nothing on the fork? I wonder what’s up with that (not that you’d be inclined to run fenders I suppose).
Old 11-14-21, 09:27 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Brilliant! Nervex lugs like you've never seem them before. Is there any symbolic meaning to that headbadge?
Old 11-14-21, 09:33 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
The head badge seems be inspired by Kokopelli, a Southwest native American symbol who represents many different aspects and moods of their culture. In this case, I think he represents "bicycle joy and merriment". Great looking bicycle.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 11-14-21 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 11-14-21, 10:54 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 451 Posts
Engaging

You have a fireplace in your driveway? I have heard Utahans are quirky, but...

Originally Posted by jamesdak
S...
Anyway, this mornings pics. Grass was soaking wet from a heavy frost so I stayed on the driveway to shoot this. Not the best idea, LOL!

I think the painter matched and blended the blue pretty good.
..."

A Sprocket for Kokopelli's Eye Socket! Trickstery!

Originally Posted by jamesdak

Cool and unique headbadge
Very Nice. Fine craftsmanship: aesthetically pleasing thinned lugs.

Thanks for Sharing! Your photos are always awesome.

(Have you any of the underside of the BB, (purely born of curiosity and thoroughness. I'm all in on documenting all frame details.))

Last edited by machinist42; 11-14-21 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-14-21, 12:39 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
What a cool bike! The colors are amazing. I don’t see the battle scars you speak of either.

I’m a bit surprised it is EL-OS tubing with Nervex lugs. I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that tubing required certain oversized lugs. Or did Nervex make OS lugs, too? Or…?
Old 06-18-22, 07:04 AM
jamesdak 

Just a little update on this. Added matching bottle cages a while back. Then I installed a rear rack on it. Had 7 days reserved up in Glacier National Park and was going to use this to ride up the closed sections of the Going to the Sun Road. I figured the three bottle cages would give me the ability to carry two water bottles and bear spray readily available. Then I could carry one of my camera bags on the rack with several lense to take pictures along the way. Unfortunately they cancelled my lodging due to manning shortages.

Old 06-18-22, 04:08 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 734 Posts
Sexy sexy bike.
Old 06-18-22, 04:25 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
That thing is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 07-23-22, 01:58 PM
jamesdak 

Getting this ready for a ride tomorrow so I grabbed some more shots of it since it's too hot to really do much of anything else right now. I really need to get some proper handlebars on this one.

I think the oil slick bolts match this one pretty well.

I added a rack because I was going to use it up in Glacier NP in June to carry photo gear as I rode the Going to the Sun Road. They cancelled my reservation due to manning issues. Knees were going to keep me from the trip anyway.

I've also need to figure out a good way to mount bear spray on this where I can get to it quickly.