Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Limongi excell tubing

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Limongi excell tubing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 04:38 AM
SteepedTea2M2S

Bikes: 1994 Miele Lupa, 1985 Fiori Roma, 2012 Felt F6, Fuji Crosstown, SE Big Ripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Limongi excell tubing

I have a Limongi frame built from Mexico excell tubing. Just looking for more information about Limongi frames and bikes in general. Mine has a cinelli BB shell. The frame as a really interesting pattern pressed in the tubing.

i have phots on my gallery if someone could copy and post below.

thanks !
Old 06-21-22, 05:06 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Photo assist..

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-21-22, 06:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Guiseppe 'Pepé' Limongi is a very revered framebuilder. A Frenchman of Italian descent, he apprenticed in Paris under René Herse before setting up his own shop. Sometime in 1970s he moved to the USA where he built frames for Paris-Sport. Later, prompted by Guiseppe Marinoni, he moved moved to Canada, setting up shop in Trois-Rivières. Reportedy, in the mid-1980s he built several of the frames used by the Renualt-Elf pro team.

Excell was a French company. Based on a 1988 tubeset guide in cycling magazine, Excell employed high strength nickel-chromium steel. The seven listed tubesets are all plain gauge, ranging in thickness from 0.3mm to 0.6mm. They also produced oversize sets and a couple with a carbon fibre and Kevlar reinforcement on the inside of the tube, so it could be brazed or welded. The Mexico set is not listed in the guide, so the subject frame should be no older than 1989. Limongi was living in Canada by that time. I have seen a couple of other frames manufactured with the Mexico tubeset and they had the same impressions, so they should be representative of the tubeset and not additional work performed by Limongi.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-21-22, 07:19 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3491 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
That's a Cinelli Spoiler bottom bracket. Sort of an iconic bit of framebuilding lore.
Old 06-21-22, 07:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Alberto Masi used the "string of pearls"
tubsets as well, on the Prestige and the Volumetrica.
there was one on eBay recently

those tubes have appeared elsewhere from time to time.

I missed out on a Limongi, unsure of from what time, I suspect France.
cannot buy them all.
Old 06-21-22, 07:44 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My Limongi has that same bottom bracket. It was built in Trois-Rivières. It has full Mavic components. Unfortunately, when I acquired it it had been converted to flat bars so the original brake levers were long gone. In order to ride it I bought a pair of inexpensive Tektro levers. They work so well that I will leave it as is. The only other modification I made was to change the 52 42 chainrings to 50 38 and install a 12 26 freewheel that came from my Raleigh Professional
Old 06-21-22, 09:16 AM
SteepedTea2M2S

Bikes: 1994 Miele Lupa, 1985 Fiori Roma, 2012 Felt F6, Fuji Crosstown, SE Big Ripper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Guiseppe 'Pepé' Limongi is a very revered framebuilder. A Frenchman of Italian descent, he apprenticed in Paris under René Herse before setting up his own shop. Sometime in 1970s he moved to the USA where he built frames for Paris-Sport. Later, prompted by Guiseppe Marinoni, he moved moved to Canada, setting up shop in Trois-Rivières. Reportedy, in the mid-1980s he built several of the frames used by the Renualt-Elf pro team.

Excell was a French company. Based on a 1988 tubeset guide in cycling magazine, Excell employed high strength nickel-chromium steel. The seven listed tubesets are all plain gauge, ranging in thickness from 0.3mm to 0.6mm. They also produced oversize sets and a couple with a carbon fibre and Kevlar reinforcement on the inside of the tube, so it could be brazed or welded. The Mexico set is not listed in the guide, so the subject frame should be no older than 1989. Limongi was living in Canada by that time. I have seen a couple of other frames manufactured with the Mexico tubeset and they had the same impressions, so they should be representative of the tubeset and not additional work performed by Limongi.

Thanks for posting the pictures and for all the information!!

would you think building this out with all french components would be best?
Old 06-21-22, 09:20 AM
SteepedTea2M2S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
awesome bike!

im leaning towards full mavic set up. are those the original wheels do you think? picking a colour will be tough too, ive read alot of limongi bikes were bright and colourful.

thanks!
Old 06-21-22, 11:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
That is a very interesting frame