Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What was actually carried by Jim Blackburn front racks?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-23-20, 12:46 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

Another nagging question that keeps me up at night... and not to veer to far off course from the 2nd tier touring bike thread...

What are those cool vintage front racks actually used for? They certainly look cool and certainly make a bike look like a serious touring machine.

For context, I have a 1982 Miyata 610, the one with caliper brakes and "the good" tubing, so maybe a bit closer to a Sports Tourer. My intention is to out fit it as a "period correct" "playing dress up" light tourer. I have a Jim Blackburn style (CyclePro with diving board) front rack that I was going to put on it, but then got to thinking. What would I actually use it for? I have a Cannondale handlebar bag, the mounts directly to the handlebars, so I don't need the rack top for that, and while the matching Cannondale front panniers look like they'll fit the rack, it seems ride wise, that I would be better off with a set of low riders. I'm also inclined to leave off the rear rack and use a matching Cannondale saddle bag. I guess I'd need the rear rack to carry a sleeping bag, if I was doing an overnighter, but I have other bikes for such ventures. Here's the bike, the last time it came down off the ceiling:

And here's some of the vaguely relevant literature I've found.

"The Project" Looks like they tried the high mounted Pannier position and didn't like it.

Similar racks, with a front rack with low riders mounted. So what go's on top?

Similar bags, with panniers mounted high. My handlebar bag is a bit smaller. I haven't found any vintage bags made for the top of this style rack, at least for the US market.

Here's the 1982 Miyata catalog

and the 1982 Cannondale catalog for good measure.

So the question remains, Blackburn front racks, Functional or Fashionable.....
Old 12-23-20, 01:10 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
I don't know that they were particularly popular in the United States in the 80's, but randonneur bags have been a thing since at least the 40's in Europe, and the rack has the tombstone for such a style of bag. Is there a chance it was modeled after rando racks?
Old 12-23-20, 01:32 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Apropos of nothing, I rode across the USA in 1980 with a pair of those blue Bikecology Class I rear panniers. I used them on a few other tours since and still have them in my basement. The retention system was less than perfect, but I made it work. They probably would work okay even now.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming . . . .
Old 12-23-20, 01:33 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 160 Posts
I’ve been using one of those since the 80s...much more stable and solid fitting than the French racks that attach to brakes. Mine is currently fit with one of Rivendell’s small trunks...I could but don’t use the tombstone in this application as the bag cinches down plenty tight and nicely spans the bracing of the Blackburn (so no sway or sliding).
Old 12-23-20, 01:37 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I used to strap my tent to one of those.
Old 12-23-20, 01:37 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Originally Posted by hazetguy
"What is 'a six pack of beer' "

I'll take 'other random vintage bike trivia' for $600 Alex.
I actually typed " besides a sixpack" edited it out...

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-23-20 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 01:42 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Another nagging question that keeps me up at night... and not to veer to far off course from the 2nd tier touring bike thread...

What are those cool vintage front racks actually used for? They certainly look cool and certainly make a bike look like a serious touring machine.

For context, I have a 1982 Miyata 610, the one with caliper brakes and "the good" tubing, so maybe a bit closer to a Sports Tourer. My intention is to out fit it as a "period correct" "playing dress up" light tourer. I have a Jim Blackburn style (CyclePro with diving board) front rack that I was going to put on it, but then got to thinking. What would I actually use it for? I have a Cannondale handlebar bag, the mounts directly to the handlebars, so I don't need the rack top for that, and while the matching Cannondale front panniers look like they'll fit the rack, it seems ride wise, that I would be better off with a set of low riders. I'm also inclined to leave off the rear rack and use a matching Cannondale saddle bag. I guess I'd need the rear rack to carry a sleeping bag, if I was doing an overnighter, but I have other bikes for such ventures. Here's the bike, the last time it came down off the ceiling:

And here's some of the vaguely relevant literature I've found.

"The Project" Looks like they tried the high mounted Pannier position and didn't like it.

Similar racks, with a front rack with low riders mounted. So what go's on top?

Similar bags, with panniers mounted high. My handlebar bag is a bit smaller. I haven't found any vintage bags made for the top of this style rack, at least for the US market.

Here's the 1982 Miyata catalog

and the 1982 Cannondale catalog for good measure.

So the question remains, Blackburn front racks, Functional or Fashionable.....
Don't use this photo as guidance, these chumps put the front rack on wrong.
Old 12-23-20, 01:54 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Don't use this photo as guidance, these chumps put the front rack on wrong.
You can see where they put the front pannier's hook on the mounting strut to make the bag level. "No one will notice", going on 39 years..

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-23-20 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 05:37 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
If I had that rack on my Trek 720, I would use it as a bottom support for an Acorn rando bag, but I do have a long-rake/low-trail fork I can install.

That bag and the Berthoud GB28 are designed to sit flat on such a flat rack. you would need to rig up something on the bottom and at the handlebar to secure the bag. The Acorn has provision for a bottom attachment. For either one you could use the decaleur sold by Somerville (Anton Tutter) and designed by Tom Matchak. The Blackburn rack does not have a tombstone, which would be optimum.

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-23-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 05:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I think that I mostly saw the front racks as stabilizers for low riders. And probably carry some stuff on top. I think most people that toured in the '70s just used rear racks, which is less than ideal. Certainly most everyone that I saw riding bikecentennial only used a rear rack. Usually an overloaded pletcher rat trap. I don't think I saw lowriders without a front rack until much later. I'm sure some people hung panniers off of the front rack, but it doesn't seem like it would work out too well.

Last year I rode part of the Bikecentennial trail near Waynesboro/Afton. That must have been fun fully loaded. And when I say "fun," I mean not fun.
We skipped the side road to the cookie lady's house though.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-23-20, 07:20 PM
bark_eater 

I saw some larger Carradice handle bars that just strapped to the handle bars on British Ebay this spring. I assume they had some other straps to to keep it from swaying, and might have enough depth to rest on a Blackburn style rack.

I remember seeing a Japanese home market Bridgestone catalog online at some point and I think they had some Randoish bags that strapped to the bars with out a decaleur. I think its a little weird that these racks where built with out a specific piece of luggage in mind. Of course they could have been made "in the style" that people expected to see in high zoot touring bikes.

On my Miyata 610 I can't use a Blackburn wrap around front rack because it will interfere with the caliper brake quick releases. So I would have to use a Cyclepro rack that has no vestigial tombstone. It would stabilize a set of lowriders and maybe provide a good spot to mount a couple of dynamo headlights.

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-23-20 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 09:18 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
On my Miyata 610 I can't use a Blackburn wrap around front rack because it will interfere with the caliper brake quick releases. So I would have to use a Cyclepro rack that has no vestigial tombstone. It would stabilize a set of lowriders and maybe provide a good spot to mount a couple of dynamo headlights.
Or get a Nitto or Velo Orange rack.
Old 12-23-20, 09:53 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
One of my friends carried around his Dachshund on a little Blackburn rack like that. The dog would ride in a styrofoam cooler he'd bungeed onto the rack, with the lid open of course. Sassy little pup.
If you don't need a handlebar bag support (or to carry a Dachshund), then what's the need for a front platform? I would use the stock low-rider "hoop" for stabilizing the low riders. It'll allow your fork to flex more.
Old 12-23-20, 10:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
I think most, if not all C-Dale front panniers like mid-fork mounts but it's an easy mod.
Old 12-23-20, 11:06 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
My U-lock with a bunge strap.
Likes For AngryFrankie:
Old 12-24-20, 07:26 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Here's a photo from my 1983 cross country tour. This must be from Wyoming or Montana, on a day when we expected to be camping out somewhere where water might not be available.

https://flic.kr/p/51hd9W
Old 12-24-20, 07:32 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I used my RB-T for touring and used the front Blackburn with and without lowrider rack attached. Here's without. With the Eclipse bag above there was room for the tool roll and spares on top of the front rack.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-24-20, 07:47 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I appreciate this thread. I pulled one of these off the pile at the co-op for a sort of gravel-ish/touring-ish project and have been wondering about how I should use it.
Old 12-24-20, 08:20 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

I've still got my old touring racks in use (about 40 years and going strong). They're on my errand schlepping bike. I zip-tied a repurposed office letter tray to the top of the front rack, so I have something that's a little wider than the rack, with a lip on it, to hold a typical grocery bag or two.

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 12-24-20, 09:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I used my RB-T for touring and used the front Blackburn with and without lowrider rack attached. Here's without. With the Eclipse bag above there was room for the tool roll and spares on top of the front rack.
Good i
mage to show the diversity of bike size configuration or opportunities or lack thereof
Old 12-24-20, 09:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I always hate threads that talk about the blackburn front rack because I packed the bike mine was on carelessly on a cross-country move and whatever the rack was touching wore halfway through the upright strut. I still haven't gotten rid of it, probably should give it to the metal recyclers.
Old 12-24-20, 10:29 AM
bark_eater 

I had one of the wrap around Blackburn racks that had grid of saw marks on the top, that I assume came frame a basket attached too loosely and allowed to chafe.

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-24-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-24-20, 11:53 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I've still got my old touring racks in use (about 40 years and going strong). They're on my errand schlepping bike. I zip-tied a repurposed office letter tray to the top of the front rack, so I have something that's a little wider than the rack, with a lip on it, to hold a typical grocery bag or two.

This is correct. I've got a front rack on the cruiser MTB I built over the summer and plan to mount a metal basket on top of it. Something bigger than your letter tray but smaller than a full size Wald basket.
Old 12-24-20, 11:56 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I saw some larger Carradice handle bars that just strapped to the handle bars on British Ebay this spring. I assume they had some other straps to to keep it from swaying, and might have enough depth to rest on a Blackburn style rack.

I remember seeing a Japanese home market Bridgestone catalog online at some point and I think they had some Randoish bags that strapped to the bars with out a decaleur. I think its a little weird that these racks where built with out a specific piece of luggage in mind. Of course they could have been made "in the style" that people expected to see in high zoot touring bikes.

This maybe a silly question but arent these front racks purpose built to carry front panniers?
Old 12-24-20, 12:20 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Originally Posted by bOsscO
This is correct. I've got a front rack on the cruiser MTB I built over the summer and plan to mount a metal basket on top of it. Something bigger than your letter tray but smaller than a full size Wald basket.
I mainly wanted something that would keep a bag from flopping off the side of the rack. If I had one sitting around, I'd have used one of those deep, legal size letter trays. The Wald baskets are kind of big, leftovers from the days when kids delivered newspapers. Ace Hardware by me has some medium sized wire baskets that looked promising too.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-racks/6109565

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-racks/6109557

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.