Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Teaching a rider to start OFF the saddle

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 06-16-21, 04:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts

Got my son a road bike and he is insisting on starting with his butt on the saddle, which of course required the seat to be about 2" too low. I remember feeling strange like that when I got my first adult sized bike, but I don't remember what I did to get used to it. Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-21, 04:54 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
How old is he?
Old 06-16-21, 05:26 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

He’s 10
Old 06-16-21, 05:58 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Is he comfortable riding (and pedalling) 'standing up' on a level road once he gets going?

What bike was he riding before you got him a road bike?
Old 06-18-21, 05:46 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
I taught my 10, 12, and 14yr olds to stand over the top tube. With either the left or right pedal between the 1-3 o'clock position, place your foot on that pedal, while the leg/foot is still on the ground. Once you push down on the pedal, lift the other foot off the ground, hop on the saddle and catch the other pedal.
Likes For primov8:
Old 06-18-21, 06:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If you tilt the bike the foot not on the pedal can comfortably be grounded with butt on saddle. Push down on the pedal and bring the bike to the upright position to go. This is what I (mostly) do, and I see many others do at stop lights.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-18-21, 07:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
my Daughter is like this, starts w/ her butt on the saddle & both sets of toes on the ground. & yes her saddle is too low & she works to hard to keep up. it must have started when she starting learning how to ride. she's 24 now & I can't break her from this. my 25 yr old son son always starts while straddling the top bar, w/ 1 pedal in the up position, puts a foot on it, pushes off with the grounded foot & down on the top pedal with the other foot & off he goes. maybe I spent more time teaching him when he was just starting, but I don't think so. I don't understand because she started tying her shoe laces correctly very young whereas he needed velcro straps on his shoes & then when he got laces, never untied them, just kept them tied & used them like loafers. I still scratch my head if I ever see him tie laces
Old 06-18-21, 02:10 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my Daughter is like this, starts w/ her butt on the saddle & both sets of toes on the ground. & yes her saddle is too low & she works to hard to keep up. it must have started when she starting learning how to ride. she's 24 now & I can't break her from this. my 25 yr old son son always starts while straddling the top bar, w/ 1 pedal in the up position, puts a foot on it, pushes off with the grounded foot & down on the top pedal with the other foot & off he goes. maybe I spent more time teaching him when he was just starting, but I don't think so. I don't understand because she started tying her shoe laces correctly very young whereas he needed velcro straps on his shoes & then when he got laces, never untied them, just kept them tied & used them like loafers. I still scratch my head if I ever see him tie laces
They’re all different.
Both my kids are going to have a rough time of it.
One is afraid of the unknown and a rigid thinker.
The other is stubborn and won’t listen.

So they are slow to learn any physical, spatial, exercise type stuff.

I added 2 teeth to the younger kids freewheel because she won’t stand up and go for it. And 165mm crank arms.

I think they need to ride with other kids more advanced than them. Most parents are terrified of Rona and most kids are playing video games so we’ll see.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-18-21, 07:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I think they need to ride with other kids more advanced than them
yes my son was swept up with his suburban townie friends where a handful of them rode around the neighborhood. he also went camping w friends & bikes. def. picked up & honed some skills. probably by just trying to keep up. he did destroy one helmet & I never did get a believable answer. it looked like it had been struck, or pushed or melted or something. wonder if it was an alien encounter in the woods. hoping a car wheel wasn't involved
Old 06-18-21, 10:06 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
Remove the seat and have him start from a stop. He'll figure it out quick.
Likes For masonv45:
Old 06-29-21, 01:36 PM
Broodax

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Let me know when you figure this out. Then we can stark work on getting them to get off the saddle when they stop - my two both insist on stopping completely, almost falling over, then finally hopping off the saddle.
Likes For Broodax:
Old 06-29-21, 02:28 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Broodax
Let me know when you figure this out. Then we can start work on getting them to get off the saddle when they stop - my two both insist on stopping completely, almost falling over, then finally hopping off the saddle.
This:

Originally Posted by masonv45
Remove the seat and have him start from a stop. He'll figure it out quick.
"Let's go for a ride without using seats! It will be fun!! "

"Now let's coast and just put our weight on one foot!"

How did we learn all this stuff in the 1950s without being taught? It must have been from imitating our friends and older kids? Certainly our parents never went cycling with us. It was just: "It's a nice day. Go out and play and be home for dinner."
In 2021 I suppose it would be child abuse?
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 06-30-21, 02:59 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Is he comfortable riding (and pedalling) 'standing up' on a level road once he gets going?

What bike was he riding before you got him a road bike?
Good questions. He had a junior size mountain bike and has been riding stoker on a tandem with me lately, but you made me realize that he hasn't done much standing and pedaling on either.

Originally Posted by primov8
I taught my 10, 12, and 14yr olds to stand over the top tube. With either the left or right pedal between the 1-3 o'clock position, place your foot on that pedal, while the leg/foot is still on the ground. Once you push down on the pedal, lift the other foot off the ground, hop on the saddle and catch the other pedal.
​​​​​​​That's pretty much how I'm explaining it to him, but he's hesitant.

Last edited by urbanknight; 06-30-21 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-30-21, 03:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Thanks for the comments. The ride without a seat is a good idea. Definitely need to get him to slide off the saddle when coming to a stop as well. His saddle is about 4cm too low right now to accommodate this habit. I think I had the same habit as a kid.

I also realized that he doesn't do well with Daddy being a teacher sometimes (even though I'm a teacher by profession). I bet if I get one of my cycling buddies to be the "expert", he will do whatever they say. That's how we got him to dive into a swimming pool without the floaties!