Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Road Journey Ahead

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long Road Journey Ahead

Old 04-17-22, 05:15 PM
1luckycat

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long Road Journey Ahead

Hello again, and I say that in disbelief as my last post was in 2015 while still in Tokyo... no longer there but here in Austin, TX weathering the Pandemic. This Post is a request for guidance & info. I intend to take a long, for me, Journey of about 1500 miles one way. I'm in the planning stages so I have some time to get my act together. I'm requesting some aid-&-advice as I plan the journey. 1st, How do I plan the safest route to take...is there a Bike Group/mapping organization Resource that can assist? I'd like to arrive in one piece and avoid high-traffic roads if at all possible. I had not planned on Camping but looking at the alternative co$t I might re-consider some camping. Any advice re: organizations or individuals that might be a Resource for information, guidance, suggestions, etc is greatly appreciated. Hope this finds you all surviving the Pandemic of our lifetime. Thanx ~ Tom ps/ journey begins in Austin heading to the East Coast mid-July.
Old 04-17-22, 05:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...route-network/
Old 04-17-22, 05:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
What is your destnation?

Old 04-17-22, 05:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Are you doing a self supported tour ?, carrying camping gear ?, or credit card - I.E. some baggage with clothing, then staying in motels, eating out, etc.... ?. Different routing for each, with self supported needing to have campgrounds as daily destination, credit card needing hotels and places to eat.

RWGPS is a good resource, as is just plain using Google maps with cycling as an option. Then do a satellite view of the roads to determine suitability such as shoulders, etc.,,, maybe do street view for parts of the route,

Telling us the destination might yield some replies as to suitable routes.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-17-22, 07:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Strava has heat maps which show common routes other strava users ride in certain areas.

Just Google map the points you want to hit, figure out daily distances, and apply those to the map. Break each day down and find a spot to end, then work the route as you see fit to stick to heat map roads or whatever you want.

...or have a general point in mind the day before and plan the specifics the next morning depending on how you feel.
Old 04-25-22, 12:32 PM
1luckycat

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated info and Thank you~

Hello to all of you who responded. I received a msg from Bike Forums yesterday and had no idea that folks actually responded to my request for ideas, assistance, guidance, etc. Thank you one and all. I'm keeping this potential journey "close to my chest" ie: not discussing it openly with folks I know...yet. I've decided to commit by the end of this weekend. I plan to ride from Austin TX to Washington DC beginning in mid-July. I'm assuming a 5-6week journey. I've had the good fortune to have crossed North America many times with cars, trucks, & motorcycles. This will be my 1st long Bike journey and I will return by Rental Vehicle as I can't give this journey more time. This Trip has a point-of-view which I'm refining now and will reveal later. I initially considered camping vs Motel/B&B but came down on the side of indoors to relax, shower, charge my phone&tablet...etc. I've looked into What to carry and How to carry it. I don't particularly like the look of Panniers on a Bike and too I feel they might put more stress on both me and the Bike, and so I've been looking into small Trailers for Bikes. Mixed on that decision...suggestions welcome. The bike I'll use was a gift to me from me for Graduating from University. The bike, a tall frame Motobecane, I've taken with me in my relocations throughout the US and to Japan & back, but this will be my longest Trip on it.
So, I'll look into the suggestions above and Thank you again for all your guidance.
Old 04-30-22, 06:27 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3160 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,147 Posts
Fair winds...
Old 04-30-22, 10:55 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Unless you intend to bring the kitchen sink, a trailer is an unnecessary complication. I know as I had one and got rid of it after I realized the hauling capacity was not needed.