Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a 5G Wireless internet connections?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 04-29-22, 02:28 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 407 Posts

Cell phone companies are starting to advertise these in my area (Los Angeles), wondering if anyone has signed up for one and how well does it work? Basically a 'box' that sits on a desk/table/windowsill and uses the cell phone system to connect you to the web. T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless both offer them in my area, AT&T is coming in the near future. It costs about $50/month, and it sounds like a good deal for the moderate amount of internet connectivity I use. I've been waiting for these to come out before switching away from cable service which has significantly increased in price over the last year.

Anyone use one of these services, any opinions either positive or negative?
Old 04-29-22, 02:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3079 Post(s)
Liked 3,323 Times in 2,158 Posts
They are all over the place here even in the boonies. But my phone isn’t 5G capable.
Old 04-29-22, 02:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17603 Post(s)
Liked 9,518 Times in 5,368 Posts
It's not as fast as cable. It's fast enough for my needs, I can do Teams calls and whatnot through it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-30-22, 09:08 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 406 Posts
The closest experience that I can compare is actually tethering through a 5G phone. Any time we go on the road I utilize said such that we can work while on the highway. In areas where the cell signal is good it works very well. The only issue would be that it is quick to disconnect for inactivity. Probably a good thing, given data price rates, but it can be a bit irritating having to bring the connection back alive. I have to imagine that this type adapter probably wouldn't do that.

My mother tried to use an older version of this in her home related to what I guess you would call 4G and the service on that one was insanely frustratingly bad.
Old 04-30-22, 10:34 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 12515 Post(s)
Liked 3,952 Times in 2,735 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
The closest experience that I can compare is actually tethering through a 5G phone. Any time we go on the road I utilize said such that we can work while on the highway. In areas where the cell signal is good it works very well. The only issue would be that it is quick to disconnect for inactivity. Probably a good thing, given data price rates, but it can be a bit irritating having to bring the connection back alive. I have to imagine that this type adapter probably wouldn't do that.

My mother tried to use an older version of this in her home related to what I guess you would call 4G and the service on that one was insanely frustratingly bad.
You were probably using 4G if you were moving... unless you were deep into a downtown area. Or using Tmobile 5G, which is really multiple channels of 4G. (all for the data rate). 5G out on the open road is just not yet that available. It is most likely found in more densely populated areas.
Likes For genec:
Old 04-30-22, 10:44 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
You were probably using 4G if you were moving... unless you were deep into a downtown area. Or using Tmobile 5G, which is really multiple channels of 4G. (all for the data rate). 5G out on the open road is just not yet that available. It is most likely found in more densely populated areas.
This may well be the case. I know that anytime we are near a large metro area the 5G symbol comes on, but I have never taken the time to check as we are moving. Very rare to lose signal around a highway but there is a good stretch in South GA and sort of mid/North Florida where you just have to wait it out a few miles.
Old 04-30-22, 10:54 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 483 Posts
In Central Texas just over the past few years we are getting good 4G in rural areas. 5G still mostly for the city folk. Out in the West Texas Rocks its Satellite, CB, or Ham. At least we are not DXing along a rail line at 4.5 volts... Ha...

73 - KD5YVG

Last edited by zandoval; 04-30-22 at 12:47 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 04-30-22, 11:59 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 665 Posts
Question for those using 5G, or are knowledgeable about the subject.
What significant (or any)advantage does 5G wireless service currently offer over existing 4G service for the average smartphone consumer?
Typical smartphone uses for the average consumer(defined by me) are communication purposes (talk and text messaging), GPS/mapping service while traveling, sharing amateur snapshots/selfies, social media (Facebook, Twitter, news and gossip services) weather forecasts, etc.; excluding using phone as a miniature laptop computer for business purposes.
Old 04-30-22, 06:03 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
What significant (or any)advantage does 5G wireless service currently offer over existing 4G service for the average smartphone consumer?
Typical smartphone uses for the average consumer(defined by me) are communication purposes (talk and text messaging), GPS/mapping service while traveling, sharing amateur snapshots/selfies, social media (Facebook, Twitter, news and gossip services) weather forecasts, etc.; excluding using phone as a miniature laptop computer for business purposes.
Simply put... faster uploads and downloads. Do you have wifi? Do you have a cellular data plan... have you ever noticed the difference between wifi speed and cell speed? 5G will (should) give you wifi like speeds everywhere it is available... That is probably the most noticeable difference.

If you don't upload photos or download movies... then your phone really won't care. 5G doesn't give you anything for voice.
Old 04-30-22, 06:47 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 747 Posts
I've had 4 Moderna vaccine shots and I still can't get 5G. Maybe I should try the Pfizer shots. Or maybe it's the phone.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-30-22, 07:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Pictures load faster when you browse. Photos from your camera are a lot of data, if you back them up to the cloud they go faster. Sending pictures to share with friends is instant.

I wouldn't suggest buying a new phone without 5G unless the price is very good, because over time everything is coming to rely on faster network speeds. But if you already have the phone, and you'll have coverage where you want to use it, things that involve a lot of data are faster.
Old 05-01-22, 10:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

If you don't upload photos or download movies... then your phone really won't care. 5G doesn't give you anything for voice.
Do people really watch full length movies on a smartphone screen? What a downer! Seems to only make aesthetic sense if the downloaded movies are cast on to a decently sized display screen for viewing.
Will 5G phones significantly improve audio downloading or streaming applications (radio, podcasts, audiobooks, music services like Pandorra/Spotify, etc.) output to loudspeakers or ear phones?
Old 05-01-22, 11:57 AM
genec
genec

Do people really watch full length movies on a smartphone screen? What a downer! Seems to only make aesthetic sense if the downloaded movies are cast on to a decently sized display screen for viewing.
Will 5G phones significantly improve audio downloading or streaming applications (radio, podcasts, audiobooks, music services like Pandorra/Spotify, etc.) output to loudspeakers or ear phones?

Ever fly on an airplane? Used to be some of them had movies for viewing... either on a large screen forward or in seatback screens... well, that, like real food on airplanes (and smoking... ) have all gone away. (getting rid of smoking was a good idea). Now no doubt in first class there may still be gourmet meals with metal utensils, and giant wide screen TVs and free booze... I don't know... when I fly it is back somewhere behind the wings.

Well, if you plan on entertaining yourself, and did not buy the way overpriced "best seller" in the airport "media center" you may want to watch a movie... which you might be able to do if you download the airplane app, pay a fee and then stream from their limited collection of movies made before the turn of the century. Or... (work with me here) you can actually down load a movie to your phone, from some of the streaming movie vendors such as prime or netflix... and since you thought of doing that while you were waiting... you could do so via the sleezy hacked public wifi at the airport... or via a cell connection... such as 4G or 5G... the latter which will be much faster.

Or perhaps (and I saw this in a movie the other day) you are in a dangerous part of town... making video recordings on your phone of the injustices of life... and that long black sedan pulls up, and 8 guys get out and approach you... seeking to seize your movie making iphone 13pro and silence you... but hey, you were uploading all that video to "the cloud" as you shot... because you have a fast connection (on the bad side of town... OK, slight suspension of disbelief). Thus your documentary is saved. (You of course are still "roughed up...")

Or TikTok. Sure, Right? Whatever.

Oh... your question... To earphones??? Huh? How can you have a faster connection than that 3.5mm direct connection to your wired headphones? No, the answer is 5G will not connect to your style trendy wireless earbuds... besides, you can't hear any faster anyway, can you? (reminds me of the time a Radio Shack salesguy told me that some earphones were "digital ready." I looked at him shocked and stated... "but my ears are fully analog...")

5G just gives you more speed. On the cellular side of your data connection. Get it?
Old 05-01-22, 01:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Ever fly on an airplane? Used to be some of them had movies for viewing... either on a large screen forward or in seatback screens... well, that, like real food on airplanes (and smoking... ) have all gone away. (getting rid of smoking was a good idea). Now no doubt in first class there may still be gourmet meals with metal utensils, and giant wide screen TVs and free booze... I don't know... when I fly it is back somewhere behind the wings.

Well, if you plan on entertaining yourself, and did not buy the way overpriced "best seller" in the airport "media center" you may want to watch a movie... which you might be able to do if you download the airplane app, pay a fee and then stream from their limited collection of movies made before the turn of the century. Or... (work with me here) you can actually down load a movie to your phone, from some of the streaming movie vendors such as prime or netflix... and since you thought of doing that while you were waiting... you could do so via the sleezy hacked public wifi at the airport... or via a cell connection... such as 4G or 5G... the latter which will be much faster.

Oh... your question... To earphones??? Huh? How can you have a faster connection than that 3.5mm direct connection to your wired headphones? No, the answer is 5G will not connect to your style trendy wireless earbuds... besides, you can't hear any faster anyway, can you? (reminds me of the time a Radio Shack salesguy told me that some earphones were "digital ready." I looked at him shocked and stated... "but my ears are fully analog...")
Yeah, you might do that. I prefer listening to audiobooks which can be loaded on a phone or an mp3 playing device,others may prefer their downloaded favorite music selections, and if I want to go old school and/or exercise my eyes (and possibly my mind with something more challenging than a movie based on comic book characters) there is always the possibility of bringing a book to read. I'd rather read almost anything rather than watch a 90+ minute movie on a six inch screen. Perhaps if I was serving life in solitary confinement I might feel differently.

Downloading such audio "data" from the Internet is already so fast using a trusted wifi connection, it seems that a speed boost from 5G would only be considered significant for the seriously compulsive techno fan boy.

I didn't think 5G offered the smartphone user any advantage on audio or video output from the phone, but was just checking with the experts if that was so.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-01-22 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-01-22, 06:20 PM
genec
genec

Yeah, you might do that. I prefer listening to audiobooks which can be loaded on a phone or an mp3 playing device,others may prefer their downloaded favorite music selections, and if I want to go old school and/or exercise my eyes (and possibly my mind with something more challenging than a movie based on comic book characters) there is always the possibility of bringing a book to read. I'd rather read almost anything rather than watch a 90+ minute movie on a six inch screen. Perhaps if I was serving life in solitary confinement I might feel differently.

Downloading such audio "data" from the Internet is already so fast using a trusted wifi connection, it seems that a speed boost from 5G would only be considered significant for the seriously compulsive techno fan boy.

I didn't think 5G offered the smartphone user any advantage on audio or video output from the phone, but was just checking with the experts if that was so.
You are correct... there is no advantage other than down load or upload speed...

I actually prefer to read, a real book, when I fly... But I often take a movie... just in case the situation is such (crying baby... etc) that I want to stick headphones in and just "escape." I prefer the printed word... my wife however is a devout audio book fan. I just like turning pages. (think of it as belt and suspenders)

Your caveat regarding "using a trusted wifi connection" is key... if such a connection is not available, 5G downloads should be as fast wifi, and has a much higher level of security, provided of course that there is 5G available.

Now my admission... I don't have a 5G phone... there is no 5G where I live and I tend to remember to download whatever I want before I go flying (or boating).

My wife has a 5G iphone... but again, there is no 5G here... so really... we don't care. I have engineer friends in various cellular companies... we discuss the ramifications and issues of 5G, and other technologies from time to time.

I believe 4G will remain the primary cellular format for quite some time.
Old 05-01-22, 09:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Now my admission... I don't have a 5G phone... there is no 5G where I live and I tend to remember to download whatever I want before I go flying (or boating).
Given the storage capacity available on any late model phone or memory card for such phones, sounds like 5G service might be good for people too forgetful or dimwitted to remember to download at home sufficient audio or video "data" that will meet their entertainment needs prior to leaving home for upcoming trips.
Old 05-02-22, 07:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,620 Posts
Back to the OP, I'm curious if anybody has tried 5G home internet service. $50/mo is cheaper than I'm paying for internet right now, and assuming my house is in a decent spot for 5G reception, it would presumably ALWAYS be in a decent spot for 5G reception.

What's the total kbps download? (I'm pretty sure I don't care about upload, I'm much more of a taker than a giver)
Old 05-02-22, 07:47 AM
genec
genec

Given the storage capacity available on any late model phone or memory card for such phones, sounds like 5G service might be good for people too forgetful or dimwitted to remember to download at home sufficient audio or video "data" that will meet their entertainment needs prior to leaving home for upcoming trips.
OK. Those are the same folks you see running through an airport.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-02-22, 09:08 AM
genec
genec

Just saw this piece on 5G home internet verses cabled...

The big question with any internet provider: Is the actual service any good? As Verizon continues to upgrade its network to support its faster Ultra Wideband C-band spectrum, I wanted to find out. So I ditched Spectrum and switched my apartment's connectivity to solely using Verizon's 5G Home router.

The result? While I've only had it running for a few days, it works perfectly fine. Gaming, streaming and Zoom all generally operate as expected, but there are a few things you're going to want to know if you've been thinking of switching.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/i-d...has-been-like/
Old 05-02-22, 10:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,620 Posts
good review, thanks!
Old 05-02-22, 10:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

So much bitterness.
Old 05-02-22, 10:49 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
So much bitterness.
Or simply spoken by someone who has realized that they really not need buy every "new model" coming down The Pike.

It does get old. I mean if what you have, works well for you... why the push to buy "the next thing?" (especially for some items, when the "upgrade" is little more than color or shape).

... meanwhile, old codger goes to his old Sunbeam electric bread toaster and starts breakfast... satisfied with the familiar toast that will soon pop up... knowing not a single transistor was used in the making of that toast...
Old 05-02-22, 10:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

I don't know anybody who thinks they need all of the latest tech, but I also don't know anybody who regularly calls people dimwits and writes about hatred for people who use a thing, either. Like you said, it gets old.
Old 05-02-22, 11:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Or simply spoken by someone who has realized that they really not need buy every "new model" coming down The Pike.
Obviously some people do "need" to buy every "new model" coming down The Pike. The Phone Industry has been taking that "need" to the bank for years.
Old 05-02-22, 11:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Back to the OP, I'm curious if anybody has tried 5G home internet service. $50/mo is cheaper than I'm paying for internet right now, and assuming my house is in a decent spot for 5G reception, it would presumably ALWAYS be in a decent spot for 5G reception.

What's the total kbps download? (I'm pretty sure I don't care about upload, I'm much more of a taker than a giver)
I'm currently pulling Visual Studio down at 30 MB per second. That's 5G but not HC/mmWave.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.