Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opera Leonardo information please

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-17-20, 07:11 AM
avecReynolds531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 43 Posts

This is my much loved road bike, bought secondhand in 2006. 14 years later, it remains my only road bike.

I would be very grateful for any information regarding this frame please: carbon main tubes, fork and wishbone seat stays, alu lugs, chain stays and head tube. The bb is stamped 00 and the seat post is 27.2 mm.

The fork, wishbone seat stays and bb/ chain stays do seem identical to some Pinarello models of the time. I've read about the history of Opera and Pinarello and noted the Opera line appeared to change the bonded carbon/ alu manufacturing very quickly, and I've only seen one other frame like this.

In terms of the questions around bonded frame longevity, it's been all ok so far. It's a lovely bike and it's still a joy out on a summer sunny day.

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-17-20, 05:56 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Pinarello makes the Opera bikes. It is a brand name under their umbrella. The frames are no longer screwed and glued, but are monocoque.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-24-21, 09:00 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Looks similar to the 2005 and earlier Pinarello Galileo. I had an 06 Galileo which had the Onda fork and rear stays - very nice ride for a fat tube aluminum bike. I replaced it with an 06 Leonardo FP in 2018. You can read the long winded build story here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...utorial-2.html (there's a phot of the built up bike at the end)

Opera was an alternate Pinarello branding allegedly to get around their deal with Dedacicai and allow use of carbon and other "new" materials, or maybe just to experiment with new technology without risking their brand. Opera bikes are no slouch - Valverde rode a Leonardo FP to much success in '05-'06. I also have an '06 Paris FP. They are the same material, different molds. The Paris has internal lugs for the rear stays, the Opera external. The Opera has a tapered Onda fork, the Paris is straight. The Opera uses the oversized Most BB system (you'll see photos of that in my write-up) where the Paris is a standard Italian BB. Great riding bikes both.

You can find an '05 Opera catalog here: https://www.riogrande.co.jp/pinarello_opera/catalog/ - Your Leonardo is in there. If you read Japanese (I do not), there'll presumably be marketing hype.
Likes For CyclingFool95:
Old 06-01-21, 01:58 AM
avecReynolds531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
Looks similar to the 2005 and earlier Pinarello Galileo. I had an 06 Galileo which had the Onda fork and rear stays - very nice ride for a fat tube aluminum bike. I replaced it with an 06 Leonardo FP in 2018. You can read the long winded build story here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...utorial-2.html (there's a phot of the built up bike at the end)

Opera was an alternate Pinarello branding allegedly to get around their deal with Dedacicai and allow use of carbon and other "new" materials, or maybe just to experiment with new technology without risking their brand. Opera bikes are no slouch - Valverde rode a Leonardo FP to much success in '05-'06. I also have an '06 Paris FP. They are the same material, different molds. The Paris has internal lugs for the rear stays, the Opera external. The Opera has a tapered Onda fork, the Paris is straight. The Opera uses the oversized Most BB system (you'll see photos of that in my write-up) where the Paris is a standard Italian BB. Great riding bikes both.

You can find an '05 Opera catalog here: https://www.riogrande.co.jp/pinarello_opera/catalog/ - Your Leonardo is in there. If you read Japanese (I do not), there'll presumably be marketing hype.
Thanks for this - appreciated.
Old 06-01-21, 02:43 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't know but Opera is a cool name and it's a sharp bike.