Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

True wireless headphones

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

True wireless headphones

Old 12-06-21, 09:56 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
True wireless headphones

So I am looking to replace my Jabra Jaybird X4 with true wireless ones. I would like to listen to podcasts/music without cranking the volume up, and have microphone good enough so I can voice control through google voice. Not necessary while riding, but at least while stopped at the light. Which also means descent voice quality (again not while riding).

What I have tried so far.
Apple Air Pod Pros paired with iphone. With ANC off wind is too high. With it on, it's better but I still have to increase volume.
Sony wf-1000xm4 paired with Android. To get wind noise down I have to turn ANC on, and the wind reduction. It works until it doesn't. It's very inconsistent, and above 25mph just turns off. Also they were very uncomfortable.
Jabra Elite 75T Active paired with Android. With ANC off they actually worked pretty well with passively blocking wind. Better than AirPod pros with ANC on, and slightly worse then sonys with anc + wind reduction (when it worked). That being said after a week left ear bud started to malfunction and volume was less than right one.

What does everyone else is using?

P.S. I have been here long enough to know that whenever this subject comes up, bunch of people show up to post their self righteous opinions about how dangerous and/or illegal it is. Then others reply and it turns in to a circle jerk. Let me attempt to short circuit this and say "I DON'T CARE". YOU won't change my mind, and chances are with 15+ years and 100k+ miles under my belt I have ridden more with ear buds than you without, and I know what I am doing. If you post here you will just be showing everyone that you just like to hear your own "voice".
Old 12-06-21, 10:37 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I personally find Beats PowerBeats pros to work pretty well. At really high speeds, podcast can be a little harder to hear, but for me this is only above 30mph or so. I've never used them to summon the google assistant, though. I usually only ride with one in. If I need to have a phone conversation, I have to slow way down or stop - they're not great at filtering out wind from the microphone.

Edit to add - mine are going on 2 years old now with no hiccups. The charging case isn't great - you have to really make sure that they are inserted correctly to get them to charge.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 12-06-21, 10:49 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I've got a set of the Google Pixel Buds (the older wirelsess Buds, not the current Buds A Series) paired with my Google Pixel 4 phone and I really like the setup. Integration with Google assistant is good and no one on the other end of a call complains that the sound quality is low. The thing I really like about them is that you can skip a song, rewind to a previous song, pause, and control the volume by tapping on the earbuds. No digging the phone out of your pocket (or in your case a jersey pocket I suspect). They are not noise cancelling but they make a pretty good seal in my ears to where I don't miss the ANC. The Buds come with different sets of inserts for different sized ears.

I don't ride with earbuds so I don't know how they would perform in the wind.
Old 12-06-21, 10:50 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
So I am looking to replace my Jabra Jaybird X4 with true wireless ones. ...

...whenever this subject comes up, bunch of people show up to post their self righteous opinions about how dangerous and/or illegal it is. Then others reply and it turns in to a circle jerk. Let me attempt to short circuit this and say "I DON'T CARE". YOU won't change my mind, and chances are with 15+ years and 100k+ miles under my belt I have ridden more with ear buds than you without, and I know what I am doing.
I had never heard the term "true wireless" until now, and I'm not exactly sure what that means, is there a partly/un-true version of wireless earbuds that have wires or something?

Are you simply asking us what wireless airbuds we're using? If so, I've ridden 99.99% of my solo rides in the past 7 years (~30k miles, 1.2k rides) with a "single" air bud in the curb side ear (previously a wired bud, but now almost always wireless, unless I forget to charge them).

Currently I'm using the Bluetooth "Spoke" bud by Skull Candy, which have a ~4hr runtime, at which point I'll swap the dead bud for the other bud that's been recharging in its case. And interestingly enough, the ad for these buds says "true wireless" https://www.target.com/p/skullcandy-...s/-/A-79939026

Edit: after some research to settle my nerves about this, I see that there were buds released that had a wire connecting the two buds together, and possibly to a little shared battery or Bluetooth transceiver that wasn't on the bud itself, aka not "true wireless".

Last edited by Hermes; 12-17-21 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Off topic
Likes For Riveting:
Old 12-06-21, 11:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Paging @genec
Old 12-06-21, 11:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Paging @genec

Uh, never mind... as far as I am concerned, voice control doesn't work well enough anyway.
Old 12-06-21, 11:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
https://www.jlab.com/collections/ear...reless-earbuds

Inexpensive option- I use these for both work and riding.

- over the ear is secure when riding.
- they plug up enough to keep wind to a minimum, but I can still hear traffic when riding. I do use a garmin varia radar light and that helps a bunch on gravel roads since I cant hear cars well between wind and gravel noise. On gravel, I dont think the ear buds effectively make me hear less, based on experience.
- talking thru them works well in a quiet environment(home office), but wind makes it tough for people to hear when I am riding and talking.
- the noise cancelling feature is totally worthless, like I am not sure if it even exists. I dont care because I dont want or need to use it. There is enough of a wind block just built into the ear pieces.
- battery life is great and the case comes with a built in usb plug so no cord is needed to charge the case.
- lots of rubber ear piece sizes come to customize fit.
- I can wear these all day without discomfort and sometimes forget they are on at home.

I got these mainly because I like the over the ear design for security while riding. Buds and Sticks are slick because they are so compact, but I dont want to chance dropping one while riding.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-06-21, 11:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
I personally find Beats PowerBeats pros to work pretty well. At really high speeds, podcast can be a little harder to hear, but for me this is only above 30mph or so. I've never used them to summon the google assistant, though. I usually only ride with one in. If I need to have a phone conversation, I have to slow way down or stop - they're not great at filtering out wind from the microphone.

Edit to add - mine are going on 2 years old now with no hiccups. The charging case isn't great - you have to really make sure that they are inserted correctly to get them to charge.
Same.
Old 12-06-21, 11:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I'm trying to understand why the Sony model referenced turns off ANC when the OP hits 25mph. That's a curious relationship, isn't it?
Old 12-06-21, 11:57 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I'm on my third pair and don't even remember what brand they are but because I wear glasses the over the ear hook option is out. I have never found any of mine to really block out the wind noise or traffic noise. Main problem I have when it's cool out and I wear my balaclava under my helmet is "touch". The slightest touch mutes them or flips songs or changes volume simply by touching the fabric. My wife got me a pair of wireless that have the wire connecting them together and you have to push the buttons on them to make changes and I fall back on them when I need ear protection to ride.
Old 12-06-21, 12:18 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by caloso
Same.
How are they with Android? They have same chip as airpod pros, which wasn't that great with my android. I rather bring that on a ride than iphone.

Originally Posted by Riveting
I had never heard the term "true wireless" until now, and I'm not exactly sure what that means, is there a partly/un-true version of wireless earbuds that have wires or something?

Are you simply asking us what wireless airbuds we're using? If so, I've ridden 99.99% of my solo rides in the past 7 years (~30k miles, 1.2k rides) with a "single" air bud in the curb side ear (previously a wired bud, but now almost always wireless, unless I forget to charge them). But I'll never use a bud during a group ride, and never ever have both buds in at the same time, that's just asking for trouble. And that's not a self-righteous opinion, it's just reality. Blocking both ears while participating in an activity where others need to communicate with you for "their" safety means you need to be able to listen, regardless of how many hours you've spent doing that foolish behavior in the past. And this goes for all the runners wearing both buds on the bike paths as well.

Currently I'm using the Bluetooth "Spoke" bud by Skull Candy, which have a ~4hr runtime, at which point I'll swap the dead bud for the other bud that's been recharging in its case. And interestingly enough, the ad for these buds says "true wireless" https://www.target.com/p/skullcandy-...s/-/A-79939026

Edit: after some research to settle my nerves about this, I see that there were buds released that had a wire connecting the two buds together, and possibly to a little shared battery or Bluetooth transceiver that wasn't on the bud itself, aka not "true wireless".
Yes without wires.
I didn't say anything about group rides, so it's just a speculation on your part.
I'll checkout Skull Candy.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.jlab.com/collections/ear...reless-earbuds

Inexpensive option- I use these for both work and riding.

- over the ear is secure when riding.
- they plug up enough to keep wind to a minimum, but I can still hear traffic when riding. I do use a garmin varia radar light and that helps a bunch on gravel roads since I cant hear cars well between wind and gravel noise. On gravel, I dont think the ear buds effectively make me hear less, based on experience.
- talking thru them works well in a quiet environment(home office), but wind makes it tough for people to hear when I am riding and talking.
- the noise cancelling feature is totally worthless, like I am not sure if it even exists. I dont care because I dont want or need to use it. There is enough of a wind block just built into the ear pieces.
- battery life is great and the case comes with a built in usb plug so no cord is needed to charge the case.
- lots of rubber ear piece sizes come to customize fit.
- I can wear these all day without discomfort and sometimes forget they are on at home.

I got these mainly because I like the over the ear design for security while riding. Buds and Sticks are slick because they are so compact, but I dont want to chance dropping one while riding.
Looks interesting. How big is a case? From pics looks quite big.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm trying to understand why the Sony model referenced turns off ANC when the OP hits 25mph. That's a curious relationship, isn't it?
I guess? It also turns off randomly at lower speed, just at higher speed it's more consistent. So something about wind speed I guess.
Old 12-06-21, 12:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Timely. I can't help, but I'm interested to hear user experiences, too. I've been looking online for a replacement of my current TWEs, which don't have ANC and cultivate so much wind noise that I don't bother wearing them unless it's cold and I'll have a hat covering them. It seems like there's no holy grail TWEs, but a couple models that have my interest are the Nothing Ear 1 (though the ANC supposedly isn't that great) and the LG Tone Free FP8.
Old 12-06-21, 12:36 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Great. Did you get that out of your system so that we can we continue with the actual subject at hand?
Yes, I feel better now, continue on.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 12-06-21, 12:40 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by Riveting
I didn't imply YOU did ride with both on group rides. I only said I DID NOT. And unless it's already been stated in the comments of that discussion thread, I typically preface any comment I have about earbuds by stating that, since I want anyone (most importantly a newbie) reading it to understand that both buds in is NEVER a safe way to ride outdoors (many jurisdictions say it's illegal), and no bud should be worn in a group ride, IMHO. Neither of those were directed at YOU, but if the shoe fits....
I don't really care what you do, or your opinion about riding outdoors and safety. I explicitly sated this in my post, and yet you couldn't help yourself. You quoted me, in a post I started, so presumption it was directed at me. I also don't really care about hypothetical noobs reading it. If they want an opinion on safety there are tons of other threads about it, and whole sub forum for it. If you feel so strongly about it feel free to start your own post, and even have it pinned. For last bit, LOL.
This thread is explicitly about MY need for a good headphones and solicitation of experiences for which ones work for people. Any other posts about safety I view as pretentiousness.
Old 12-06-21, 12:42 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Didn't see trekz come up so curious if they were something you were/weren't considering? Bone conduction headphones have been the best for me on the bike. Better than 1 earbud riding.
Old 12-06-21, 12:49 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

How are they with Android? They have same chip as airpod pros, which wasn't that great with my android. I rather bring that on a ride than iphone.
I have had no issues pairing them with an Android phone (I have a newer Samsung). Like I said, however, I've not set them up with google assistant.

One thing I appreciate about them is that they are not touch and have a physical volume button. The play / pause / skip button works well with most apps. I've had issues with the iheart app, but that seems common across users of that app on both iOS and Android.
Old 12-06-21, 01:07 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

I have had no issues pairing them with an Android phone (I have a newer Samsung). Like I said, however, I've not set them up with google assistant.

One thing I appreciate about them is that they are not touch and have a physical volume button. The play / pause / skip button works well with most apps. I've had issues with the iheart app, but that seems common across users of that app on both iOS and Android.
Ah good to know. What about sound quality, and connection stability? I have Samsung S10, not sure if the newer ones support more codex.
Old 12-06-21, 01:19 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Ah good to know. What about sound quality, and connection stability? I have Samsung S10, not sure if the newer ones support more codex.
I think they sound pretty good. Not perfect, but better than my wired google earbuds. I have a Note 20 - I had them hooked up with an earlier note before that (the one after the one that was catching fire - a Note 8?). I didn't notice any major problems with it.
Old 12-06-21, 01:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I'm on my third pair and don't even remember what brand they are but because I wear glasses the over the ear hook option is out.
I wear my over the ear buds with sunglasses...I guess the arms of the glasses sit just above/atop the ear bud hook. It works well, but maybe that is a head/ear shape dependent situation.
Old 12-06-21, 01:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Looks interesting. How big is a case? From pics looks quite big.
It is 2-3x the size of an airpods case. Part of that is because the ear buds are simply larger due to the hooked design, part is because the usb plug is built into the case, and part is probably just cost savings so they didnt make the battery super compact.
I actually like the case size because its easier to see/find. I dont use it on rides and it really just sits in one of 3 spots at home so it could be the size of a dinner plate and I wouldnt much care.
Old 12-06-21, 02:56 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I wear my over the ear buds with sunglasses...I guess the arms of the glasses sit just above/atop the ear bud hook. It works well, but maybe that is a head/ear shape dependent situation.
Yeah, they might work with my regular glasses, but I use a strap on my riding glasses so they don't move or fly off. I have an old blue tooth device from an old phone and I could never get used to that pushing my ear out and then it would flop loose and annoy the .... out of me.
Old 12-06-21, 03:16 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
If you want to use earbuds try some Shure Aonic 215 Gen 2. Sounds great, others have said my voice sounds clear and crisp in calls so the mic seems good. Only downside is the case sucks, its really hard to get them out of the case.

Oh, and once you get them fitted right they stay put.

Last edited by RGMN; 12-06-21 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 12-06-21, 04:13 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
What does everyone else is using?
Jabra Elite 75t, they work great. Your issues sound like they are a defective set. Mine have been fantastic for over a year. No issues at all.
Old 12-06-21, 04:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Jabra Elite 75t, they work great. Your issues sound like they are a defective set. Mine have been fantastic for over a year. No issues at all.
They pushed out a firmware updated with ANC, didn't they? How is it?
Old 12-06-21, 04:43 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
They pushed out a firmware updated with ANC, didn't they? How is it?
It seemed to decrease battery life a bit, maybe 10%(?), but not hugely...biggest difference is that the wind noise was slightly decreased. And if you listen to podcasts, it helps a ton, the dialog is clearer. Music is better, but I never expected a HiFi listening experience anyhow.
Likes For Badger6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.